Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding a popup roof on a Multivan/Caravelle, compared to a Beach?

C

Captain

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I want a VW California Beach, but here in Sweden these are rare and expensive. That's why I'm thinking about buying a Multivan or Caravelle instead and mount a popup roof like Reimo. What would be the disadvantage with that, except the obvious unpleasant fact that you would have to cut the roof? What equipment and interiors would you miss from the Beach?
One advantage would be that you could buy the long wheelbase version and get a bigger camper van than the Beach.

Warrenty would be the biggest issue , cutting a roof open makes VW warrenty worth less than zero.

Make sure the Caravelle has the retractable window blinds installed.

Warrenty would be the biggest issue , cutting a roof open makes VW warrenty worth less than zero.
Thanks, but if I buy a 5 year old Caravelle, what warranty could still be current (before cutting the roof open)?

Thanks, but if I buy a 5 year old Caravelle, what warranty could still be current (before cutting the roof open)?
None I think unless the dealer sold a independent warranty. The bodywork rust warranty would be compromised but may have limited value.

Could depend how long your warrenty goes in Sweden , if a 5y old is out of warrenty i should not worry to open the roof up.
Or as said ask the thirth party that does the work for warrenty but guessing they would not give any other than there work done.

We had a 2011 Caravelle executive from new, we looked into having a pop top roof installed.
We were given prices around £7/8 k. Most converters did not want the job due to the roof mounted aircon vents and lighting.

I want a VW California Beach, but here in Sweden these are rare and expensive. That's why I'm thinking about buying a Multivan or Caravelle instead and mount a popup roof like Reimo. What would be the disadvantage with that, except the obvious unpleasant fact that you would have to cut the roof? What equipment and interiors would you miss from the Beach?
One advantage would be that you could buy the long wheelbase version and get a bigger camper van than the Beach.
Just buy from Germany, it's so easy to import.

Even normal panel vans and Caravelles are stupid money here and the 6% extra Moms we have to pay will still be less after some discount.

Also there are so many Beaches on mobile.de and autoscount24 a couple of years old, get a nice Edition with all the bells and whistles.

You would lose the rear Air/Con and heating as the vents etc: are in the roof, unless your roof fitter was very inventive maybe possible on a LWB if fitting a SWB pop top.

Does a caravelle have the ability to store 2x deck chairs in rear door?!

Well it's a nice touch I think! Camping in Spain right now and locals really have all sorts of set ups to camp. If you just want to get away then I'd be happy with a conversion, if you love the vehicle more, then maybe it has to an original!

Just buy from Germany, it's so easy to import.

Even normal panel vans and Caravelles are stupid money here and the 6% extra Moms we have to pay will still be less after some discount.

Also there are so many Beaches on mobile.de and autoscount24 a couple of years old, get a nice Edition with all the bells and whistles.
Are we talking used cars or new one at dealers..? I'm currently looking for a new Beach for my own company and in the German konfigurator the car is significantly more expensive than in the Swedish one. The dealers answer to this was that the cars in fact are more expensive in Germany at the time and buyers are coming to Sweden from Germany to buy these days. Haven´t checked used market though :) Sadly there are only diesel versions in Sweden right now which sucks company-wise due to higher taxes for every mile I drive in the company...

Are we talking used cars or new one at dealers..? I'm currently looking for a new Beach for my own company and in the German konfigurator the car is significantly more expensive than in the Swedish one. The dealers answer to this was that the cars in fact are more expensive in Germany at the time and buyers are coming to Sweden from Germany to buy these days. Haven´t checked used market though :) Sadly there are only diesel versions in Sweden right now which sucks company-wise due to higher taxes for every mile I drive in the company...
Yeah I meant 2nd hand.

The guys I have been speaking to in Smista are top notch in terms of new Cali discounts, dropped 7% before MOMs with no prompting.

Ordering new from Sweden sounds strange, there are litterally no 2nd Calis in Sweden, at least not at sensible prices.

We are thinking even bring a RHD into Sweden from the UK.

I've got a Caravelle with an electric California roof fitted. It's still got the rear air conditioning and heating. Also has the twin sliding doors. I've had Webasto heater fitted and leisure battery under passenger seat. I've saved on the price of a Beach but I'm sure that will be reflected in the price I get when if I want to sell it.

IMG_3414.JPG

I've got a Caravelle with an electric California roof fitted. It's still got the rear air conditioning and heating. Also has the twin sliding doors. I've had Webasto heater fitted and leisure battery under passenger seat. I've saved on the price of a Beach but I'm sure that will be reflected in the price I get when if I want to sell it.

View attachment 24771
I resume you had the whole roof replaced, including the California roof strengthening as well which would explain he retention of the rear AirCon heating system. Not the same if a Reimo or SCA roof is fitted.
Looks like a nice job. Did you have the Control Panel as well?

I resume you had the whole roof replaced, including the California roof strengthening as well which would explain he retention of the rear AirCon heating system. Not the same if a Reimo or SCA roof is fitted.
Looks like a nice job. Did you have the Control Panel as well?

Hi WG, yes still have the control panel mounted in the rear, taken from centre of roof and now mounted in the side just behind O/S sliding door. All still connected to RNS 510. The roof has the slatted bed, reading light and sliding shutter above cab. The second sliding door is very useful to us, as we occasionally put our pop up tent close up on passenger side, but can also have the fiamma awning out on the other side.

View attachment 24771

can you post a pic of the internal finish please?

Hi WG, yes still have the control panel mounted in the rear, taken from centre of roof and now mounted in the side just behind O/S sliding door. All still connected to RNS 510. The roof has the slatted bed, reading light and sliding shutter above cab. The second sliding door is very useful to us, as we occasionally put our pop up tent close up on passenger side, but can also have the fiamma awning out on the other side.

Hi could you share who did the conversion? I am about to swap my highly specced Caravelle for a Beach but was advised that putting a poptop in the Velle roof was complex because of the aircon on the Exec model. This might open up the 'velle conversion route.

Does a caravelle have the ability to store 2x deck chairs in rear door?!

If you swap out the trim piece to match the Beach and then buy the chairs. Can't imagine it's inexpensive!

can you post a pic of the internal finish please?
Hi slidepods, of course no problem. I'll try and get some photos taken over the weekend and post them. I think someone mentioned that you've got a Caravelle fitted with a Cali roof too?

Hi could you share who did the conversion? I am about to swap my highly specced Caravelle for a Beach but was advised that putting a poptop in the Velle roof was complex because of the aircon on the Exec model. This might open up the 'velle conversion route.
It was done by Premium Campers in Cornwall

am I missing something here. how much is a caravelle just buy a beach. if I wanted a caravelle can I buy a beach and weld the roof shut?

Back