Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding the 3M tape to roof edges

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Presuming though the minor bubbles are not too big an issue *as long as* no steel is allowed to come into play.

Take that away and even if the alu is exposed then it should just oxidise over preventing further issues. It only 'corrodes' and starts to powder if galvanic corrosion can take place and for that you need the steel in the seal.

Isolate that steel and the worst that can happen is minor paint bubbling and peel but at least not actual destruction of the alu?

Is that correct?

Powder coating the roofs rather than wet paint might be an idea.
I agree with your point re the ally oxidising. I had an old Grumman aluminium canoe and the thinking in the canoe world was that you should leave alone, resist the temptation to polish it. Once the surface has an oxidised outer film it forms a protective layer, stopping further oxidisation.

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Indeed I am rather wary of general claims. Equally I am wary of even factory extended warranties as there are differing versions that apply. You need to certain that the version you look at is the one that is current at the time of vehicle purchase.

I've had a few trying to wriggle out of warranty claims over the years. One was an engine oil additive you had to put into the engine every 3 months and post a card back. The diff. failed and even though engine oil is not going to affect the diff. they claimed that they couldn't honour the warranty because I hadn't sent the cards back. When I produced the Proof of Posting certificates, they suddenly found the cards! Amazing coincidence.

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Presuming though the minor bubbles are not too big an issue *as long as* no steel is allowed to come into play.

Take that away and even if the alu is exposed then it should just oxidise over preventing further issues. It only 'corrodes' and starts to powder if galvanic corrosion can take place and for that you need the steel in the seal.

Isolate that steel and the worst that can happen is minor paint bubbling and peel but at least not actual destruction of the alu?

Is that correct?

Powder coating the roofs rather than wet paint might be an idea.

I think your your right that its potential is no worse than the galvanic corrosion as once it bursts the surface should oxidise.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Seeing as the latest VW fix is to add tape and a sealant, which would mean the seal becoming permanently attached, and therefore not easy to check in the far future until it might be too late to get VW to address...
I think I might add this as an alternative to regular sealant. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKONEGEL.html
Wiska One gel is sold in 300ml cartridges, and is immediately ready to use!
Simply dispensed in a standard cartridge gun, there is no need to mix two components, as the gel is already cross-bonded.

The gel is silicone based, can be used to fill and insulate any space to avoid the ingress of water, dust, moisture and gas. One Gel is re-enterable. With no shelf life, no mixing time, and simple application.

It is used to waterproof external electrical joints and boxes to fully waterproof etc. That way it can be removed at a later date and checked.

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
What does re enterable actually mean. Im assuming doesnt go solid so you can re enter the joint or does it mean you can top up the void ?

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I would not use *any* sealant - as has been discussed you can in no way stop moisture fully getting in the seal and sealant will just make any further treatment or inspection more complicated.

Just go with Loz's tape or equivalent quality PPF but I'd go two layers or something really thick but still pliable (use a low power heat gun to mold like the pro wrappers).

Maybe look at slightly 'opening' up the seal part that grips the roof so it is not so tight (but still tight enough) to lessen the tendency to abrade the thin paint on the roof edge.

Legin

Legin

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I see it differently , it depends on the sealant and how its applied and not instead of the tape. My cali will already have the tape so something that displaces the water as well is a good thing. Im not saying something permanent that bonds it shut.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Yes that's what I'm saying, the VW Method is to use a permanent sealant in the rubber seal on top of the tape; so I am doing the same thing, instead using a sealant that does not prevent me from removing the seal at a later date.

P

Punchy England

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Could you send me a copy of what is relevant? I looked in the download section but couldn't find it.
Thanks.
Hello
Can I ask whether you uploaded the 12 year warranty emails because I can't find them. Thanks in anticipation.

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
For reference

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
If anyone wishes to 'seal' the edging to prevent water/moisture or dirt ingress into the area then this Sikaflex should be suitable as it is non setting & Black.

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If anyone wishes to 'seal' the edging to prevent water/moisture or dirt ingress into the area then this Sikaflex should be suitable as it is non setting & Black.

Hi BJG
this method was chosen by Vw as one or the earlier “Fixes“ But it is not now recommend by VW due to their failed attempts with this method in the past to prevent the issue occurring.
the sealant will prevent future inspection, , similarly it will leave a residue of sealant on the panel, which will be hard to remove & give VW a get out of jail free card

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi BJG
this method was chosen by Vw as one or the earlier “Fixes“ But it is not now recommend by VW due to their failed attempts with this method in the past to prevent the issue occurring.
the sealant will prevent future inspection, , similarly it will leave a residue of sealant on the panel, which will be hard to remove & give VW a get out of jail free card
This was a belt & braces suggestion ie tape plus sealant.

sealant is non setting for any future removal, residue could be easily cleaned off with a suitable solution.