Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional T6 Options Info & New Brochure

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I thought I'd share the following information that I received from VW this morning as I've found it useful to explain some of the options...

Please see the below info that I have been provided by our Product Marketing team. Also I have been made aware that the California brochure will be available on the 6th October.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If it is a California Beach, they will get this dashboard.

View media item 620

If it is an California Ocean, they will get the premium dashboard as shown in the three images below.

View media item 623View media item 622View media item 621

California Beach: Curtains

Side windows: fabric blinds that attach to the metal window surround using magnets

Windscreen: a single fabric blind that held in position using the passenger and driver sun blinds together with the rear view mirror

California Ocean: Curtains

View media item 619

The curtains in California Ocean (image above) for the front of the vehicle are as follows:

·Side windows: fabric blinds that attach to the metal window surround using magnets

·Windscreen: fabric retracting blinds. The retraction mechanism is located in the A-pillar

Composition Media radio system.

The system consists of a 16.5 cm (6.33 inch) TFT colour display, a touch screen with proximity sensor, an MP3- and WMA-compatible CD drive, a 4 x 20 watt output with eight loudspeakers, an SD-card slot, an AUX-IN interface and a USB port in the glove compartment, a Bluetooth connection for mobile telephones, and a dual tuner with Phase Diversity for optimal radio reception.

Discover Media Navigation System

In addition to the functions of the “Composition Media” radio system with eight loudspeakers, there is a second integrated SD-card slot which is compatible with the SD-card with the map data. Free updates for the installed maps for Europe are available from Volkswagen.

Car-Net Guide & Inform Package

For even greater levels of comfort, the vehicle is available with a number of mobile online services from Car-Net Guide & Inform.

As a extension of the vehicle’s navigation system, Car-Net Guide & Inform retrieves the latest information from the Internet. If, for instance, a traffic jam is building, your route will be changed in response to this. You can also choose to

display the cheapest petrol station nearby, car parks in the vicinity with free spaces and much more including weather forecasts, news bulletins and personalised points of interest.

SD card (Europe)

This is the mapping data for the Navigation system – it comes on an SD card.

Bluetooth hands free set with coupling box and WLAN.

“Comfort” mobile phone interface. The special compartment for your mobile phone has a wireless external aerial connection to optimise your mobile phone reception. Charging the phone is straightforward too: The telephone simply has to be connected to the USB port, which is also located in the compartment. The wireless local area network (WLAN) allows the van to be connected to the internet for data to be sent from the Car-Net website direct to your navigation unit.

App-Connect

Experience more infotainment when on the road. Use Car-Net App-Connect to integrate your smartphone via a USB port in your vehicle. Car-Net App-Connect mirrors selected apps from your smartphone on to the touch screen display of your optional radio or optional navigation system. This enables you to conveniently control permitted apps and special Volkswagen apps while driving via the touch screen display.

Volkswagen apps.

Special Volkswagen apps, such as “Shared Audio”, “Drive & Track”, “Call & Remind”, “Sound Journey” and “My Guide” (see figure) make every journey even more pleasant and interesting. The apps provide you with information about your driving behaviour, as well as parking possibilities in the vicinity, and make detailed suggestions about exciting destinations nearby, taking into account the weather and vehicle data.

Last edited:
Sorry. Images haven't saved. I've tried uploading to my media folder??!!

Hang on...sorted.

Last edited:
Not sure I like the big hole in the beach dash it's a cost cutting too far - can a lid be ordered?

Not sure I like the big hole in the beach dash it's a cost cutting too far - can a lid be ordered?
This is this option on the list Bigted...

5FD Instead of standard tray; console on dashboard with 1-DIN slot and positions for additional switches £35.00 £42.00

Not sure what it is though?!

In the uk pricelist, it seems the beach lacks preparation for roof racks. It seems it is not an option while the ocean has it as standard. Any ideas about this?

I have found this in the international brochure, it seems it is possible to get the multivan dashboard in the Beach:
i-gTSs7ZK.png

If you look at the little letters after the first bit of text there is BE CO OC. These refer to the 3 models we have on the continent Beach, Coast and Ocean. As the BE looks to be greyed out, I don't think that this dashboard is available on the Beach!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, greyed out means "optional extra". If that would be the case we couldn't add any equipment to any vehicle. It would be great for the wallet :)
Here is an example, the Composition Colour radio is standard on Ocean and extra on Coast and Beach:
i-dKZbCFF.png

I have tried to study some german forums, the Deluxel panel called "Komfortschalttafel" can be ordered on the Beach from Week 45. YES YES. I know I can't stand the mug holders in the window.

VW Press office said yesterday that the release of the printed version of the California brochure had been delayed, no new date was given.

My dealer just mailed me with this.
Rather expensive!

New option available for the Beach from Week 45 Build:

Comfort dashboard package - Includes Comfort dashboard with wide center console and bottle compartment, Climatronic 3-zone A/C and Decorative inserts

£1020 + VAT

My dealer just mailed me with this.
Rather expensive!

New option available for the Beach from Week 45 Build:

Comfort dashboard package - Includes Comfort dashboard with wide center console and bottle compartment, Climatronic 3-zone A/C and Decorative inserts

£1020 + VAT

Climatronic a/c was a £700-800 option on the T5 SE if i remember correctly.

The lower spec dash for the Beach is correct. The Beach gets the standard Multivan/Transporter dash, whereas the Ocean (and I've heard possibly the Caravelle) gets the premium 'comfort' dash. All the T6 Transporter conversions at the NEC show had the basic dash, which to all intents and purposes is pretty much the same as the T5 - except there is no longer a lid on the glove box! (Is that the hole you meant Bigted?) There is however an additional lower level glove box. The other 'hole' in the middle of the dash is similar to the existing central tray in the T5 but on the premium dash it has a lid over it. The cup holder in the window is, I reckon, an ashtray - no doubt that's an extra too!

David: the Mutivan is the luxurious "bus", hence got the deluxe dashboard. The caravelle is the people transport bus, hence the cheap dashboard. Same goed for Besch vs Ocean/Coast.
However, on the Beach it can be ordered, see details above. The mug holders also have ashtray inserts that you can remove.

Thanks. I stand corrected on the Caravelle/Multivan. It's good that they're trying to provide additional value/delineation for the Ocean, but it raises questions for me which seem to hint at a revision coming...

The Beach feels to have been down specced on it's previous version and the Ocean only marginally increased - which is a strange strategy in a world where everything only gets better.

The other thing is why have two deliberately different dashboards within a single range - finishes yes, but design of components no. Perhaps it's normal in the van world (I've always bought cars before) but I've never seen two dashboard options in one model (with the exception of Maserati on the old 4200/GrandSport). Can it make economic sense to have a different centre console and top plate within the same range, I wouldn't have thought so? (Although I suppose it's possible that the wider centre console would be too big for a three seat work/people bus van.)

Also, who launches a new vehicle with almost exactly the same interior as before (T5/T6 Transporter), when they have designed a better interior and which is already in production, unless perhaps they know they have to do more with the rest of the interior (of the Cali), so as a stop-gap they just upgrade part of it to justify the price and hold back that same upgrade on the cheaper models to delineate?

I could be way off here, but I think there's a second wave of revisions coming to the California interior...

There is always a revision coming, however, I don't agree that the T5 and T6 have the same dashboard. Similar setup, but I would say it is completely different. The new dashboard is flat for example, the old with a middle part that stands out. I would say the dashboard is probably where the T6 has got its most differences to the T5.
I am also happy to see that it has got CarPlay and other modern stuff.
I agree that it seems silly to have two different dashboards.

Does anyone know if VW have included the electronic hand brake in the T6 ? would be a bonus not having the T5 floor mounted unit

(Hi Kave - I like this discussion and perhaps you and I should take this subject offline if we want to continue, so just one more from me...)

Yes I agree, the dash architecture is the same and the shapes are different ("exactly" was the wrong word for me to have used). However, the ambient effect is exactly the same T5 to T6, I've sat in one. Which one is the latest one would be almost impossible to tell without prior knowledge - not what you expect when a major manufacturer releases a new model. Especially when the manufacturer goes to the trouble of re-designing the dash, in this case not just once but twice! VW have deliberately decided to pair the T6 and Beach back. However, having two dashboards make no sense, unless it's a cheaper way of keeping one derivative (the Cali) ahead of the others? Perhaps to justify the price differential? Perhaps when other improvements arrive for the Cali they will revisit the remaining range with the new fitments the Cali is currently getting?

I could be wrong in what I'm observing, but I'm a designer (and have done work in the car world) and my antennae are twitching!! Is the real new Cali coming in 6-12 months is the thought drifting around in the back of my mind...

A few months ago we were all a bit disappointed when we saw the early pics and realised that the interior hadn't changed (the disappointment was tempered because the rumour that there wouldn't be a T6 Cali at all had been proved unfounded). However, the current interior (not just the dash) has been in service for a long time and think of all the modern lightweight new materials, finishes and fittings they could have easily given us this time around, even if the basic interior frame remained the same. Currently we have a new dash, front window blinds (finally in the UK), three lights in the upper sleeping area and a few other bits - I'm convinced there's more to come, possibly all too soon...!

Cheers, Dave

moonrock.jpg
I asked VW what the Moonrock Alcantara seats would look like and got this!

I could be wrong in what I'm observing, but I'm a designer (and have done work in the car world) and my antennae are twitching!! Is the real new Cali coming in 6-12 months is the thought drifting around in the back of my mind...
With VW having to bankroll the 'recent problem' ... I suspect that a lot of R&D and new product development will be shelved / delayed. With sales of the California apparently increasing, I wouldn't expect any changes soon.

But then I've ordered a T6 so I would think that!

Well, I dont consider the T6 as a new model, I would say it is a facelift of the T5, or have I missed something? The exterior must be close to exactly the same as T5?

Well, I dont consider the T6 as a new model, I would say it is a facelift of the T5, or have I missed something? The exterior must be close to exactly the same as T5?
I'd say you're right Kave. It's a bit like LR Discovery 3 & 4. My mate has a T5 and its great. I'm only ordering aT6 because that's what's on offer now. Looking at the interior and exterior it's more of the same great van. In fact if the Bully concept came out, I don't think I'd be so keen to buy a California. I'm not wanting retro modern like the VW Beetle.

Back