Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adjusting Rear Roof Scissor?

B

Brendon

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone know if it's possible to adjust the rear roof scissor? I've noticed that my roof is not sitting correctly on the rear near side (it may always have been like this). You can get your fingers under the seal.
I've checked:
- that there's nothing left in the roof space
- there's nothing trapped
- there's no wear in the scissor hinges
- that the front roof catches are engaging properly
- the roof is not bent or buckled.
I've also measured the roof's geometry with nothing much to report there either although the near side does sit 8-10mm higher when fully open.

As I understand it, the rear scissor is a passive device. Its elevation is related to the angle of the roof panel. Given the roof is not bent and the front rams/scissor sit down nicely at the front (checked this with a bit of Blutac), I can't see why its not closing properly.

I assumed there was a way to adjust it slightly, but there doesn't seem to be anything to adjust. Any thoughts?
IMG_5323.jpg

I have the same problem and I don't know why.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk

On the underside of the roof there is a small hook into which the front scissor mechanism located when the roof closes.
It is held in place on the rail by a grub screw.
Moving this very slightly either backwards / forwards should fix the gap. Sorry I can’t remember which way!
I would reccomend carefully marking the original position and moving by no more than a couple of mm at a time in a process of trial & error. You also need to keep an eye on the front to make sure that is closing properly too as it’s a bit of a balancing act.
Where the hook locates with the scissor there should be a black plastic clip on the scissor, if that is missing or damaged I would replace it before attempting any adjustments. Let me know if anything not clear and I’ll pop the roof and post a picture.

On the underside of the roof there is a small hook into which the front scissor mechanism located when the roof closes.
Moving this very slightly either backwards / forwards should fix the gap. Sorry I can’t remember which way!
I would reccomend carefully marking the original position and moving by no more than a couple of mm at a time in a process of trial & error. You also need to keep an eye on the front to make sure that is closing properly too as it’s a bit of a balancing act.
Where the hook locates with the scissor there should be a black plastic clip on the scissor, if that is missing or damaged I would replace it before attempting any adjustments. Let me know if anything not clear and I’ll pop the roof and post a picture.
Thanks Louis II
I really appreciate a photo.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for the pointer. I'd been through the previous threads and had checked that the black clip was in place. I'd also checked that the hook was locating onto the front scissor mech. I'll have a tinker....

This is the bit that I adjusted to solve a similar problem. Once you loosen the screw it slides backwards and forwards on the rail.535DD174-843D-4F76-9731-FB8F751EB06F.jpeg
When the roof is closed it hooks onto this part.
42A81383-A1C2-430E-9F8F-04216AC5ED07.jpeg
it seems that very small adjustments of 1 or 2 mm alters the distribution of pressure between the front and back of the roof when closed so with some careful trial and error you should be able to get it in a place where both font and back close to a good fit.

This is the bit that I adjusted to solve a similar problem. Once you loosen the screw it slides backwards and forwards on the rail.View attachment 66558
View attachment 66559
it seems that very small adjustments of 1 or 2 mm alters the distribution of pressure between the front and back of the roof when closed so with some careful trial and error you should be able to get it in a place where both font and back close to a good fit.
Fantastic! Thanks you so much! First, I gona see if this part has moved
Thank you so much!!

Thanks @Louis II for the tip. Seems to work.

I bought a new Calibed II which is very comfortable but about 1.5cm thicker than the original VW bed. It caused my back offside roof corner to pop up by 1cm. I adjusted the hook on the sliding rail as detailed above and seem to have closed the gap. Moving the hook forward, closed the rear gap without introducing any new issues at the front.

In my case I moved it by about 8mm. I didn't want to go further than that in case I damaged anything. The rear core of the roof is not fully snug, but is closed now.

This is the bit that I adjusted to solve a similar problem. Once you loosen the screw it slides backwards and forwards on the rail.View attachment 66558
View attachment 66559
Hi my roof has a gap at the rear corner awning side, at first I thought its was the awning brackets causing the issue but it shouldn't be like that for sure. How did you come about the information on the roof adjustment?

Hi my roof has a gap at the rear corner awning side, at first I thought its was the awning brackets causing the issue but it shouldn't be like that for sure. How did you come about the information on the roof adjustment?
Hi,
I wasn't happy with the way my roof was closing and it looked like the only part with any adjustment so i just gave it a try making sure I had marked the original position and making only very small trial & error adjustments.
Looks like you have a 6.1 so best approach is probably to take it back to the dealer under warranty and have them put it right.
In the second picture you can see a black plastic clip on the roof scissor. Worth checking those are still in place on both sides.

Hi,
I wasn't happy with the way my roof was closing and it looked like the only part with any adjustment so i just gave it a try making sure I had marked the original position and making only very small trial & error adjustments.
Looks like you have a 6.1 so best approach is probably to take it back to the dealer under warranty and have them put it right.
In the second picture you can see a black plastic clip on the roof scissor. Worth checking those are still in place on both sides.
Thanks for that I will check tonight, yes looks like back to the dealer the problem I have is they aren't a vw california dealer so bit reluctant to let them adjust.

If it’s still in warranty you can take it to any VW dealership for repair.

View attachment 66559
Moving this bit also solved our roof rattle :)

Thanks for the pointer. I'd been through the previous threads and had checked that the black clip was in place. I'd also checked that the hook was locating onto the front scissor mech. I'll have a tinker....
Hi did you ever fix the roof issue?

hi which way did you move it to the front or the back?
We moved it 5 mm to the back, if you look closely you could see it has moved during time. After we move it, the rattle is fine for a few months, the we readjust it.

We moved it 5 mm to the back, if you look closely you could see it has moved during time. After we move it, the rattle is fine for a few months, the we readjust it.
yes I have had a little look at mine it also looks like it has moved, not something I will do when under warranty but drilling a dimple in the correct place then the grub screw will locate in the dimple, this will stop it moving in the future.

Hi,
Well I have had a little play with that hook like others have said I should and will take it to the dealer,but my findings are the hook doesn’t make any difference really and I can’t see how that little plastic hook held on by a 6mm grub screw can overcome the hydraulic cylinders.So I think the adjustment must be on the hydraulic cylinder mount or elsewhere.I would love to know.

Well I have had a little play with that hook like others have said I should and will take it to the dealer,but my findings are the hook doesn’t make any difference really and I can’t see how that little plastic hook held on by a 6mm grub screw can overcome the hydraulic cylinders.So I think the adjustment must be on the hydraulic cylinder mount or elsewhere.I would love to know.
Strange. It definitely worked for me. I don’t think it so much overcomes the hydraulics just helps with balancing the force from front to back in the last bit of closing. You could try measuring its position relative to the one on the other side where the roof closes properly.
Assume you have checked there isn’t anything on the bed, under the mattress, mattress not lying flat etc preventing it from closing?

Strange. It definitely worked for me. I don’t think it so much overcomes the hydraulics just helps with balancing the force from front to back in the last bit of closing. You could try measuring its position relative to the one on the other side where the roof closes properly.
Assume you have checked there isn’t anything on the bed, under the mattress, mattress not lying flat etc preventing it from closing?
Yes checked everything taken measurements etc everything looks good I will be really interested to see the outcome when it goes to the garage,i guy did a manual roof conversion just wondering if he new of any other adjustments ?

i am convinced it’s the awning bracket above the drivers door it sits tight up on the roof seal,if the roof pulls down on to it it will kick the rear of the roof up on the awning side,are all the 6.1 vans the same or are the brackets different I would appreciate any pics