Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advertising Rules

D

Doddler

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Can I enquire as to the forums advertising rules. When advertising, do all enquiries have to be made public on the forum so that all interested parties are aware of their position? Having bought of another forum (AVFORUMS) for an electrical item, they have strict rules which ensure that all enquiries are plain to see for everybody and will encourage fair treatment. Once a deal has been negotiated then the respective parties can move to private messages.

Hi there are no specific rules I would alway suggest sending a personal message first and then make it known you have. At the end of the day it is up to the seller to reply and be as fair as they can. I usually respond to the first person then await a response if I don’t get one within a day I pm them if I still hear nothing I let open it up to the next person that enquires.

You can post publicy and/or send PM to the seller.

It's down to the seller who they wish to sell too, as other factors may have an influence..when can the buyer collect, do you want to box up + post etc (as some will ask for postage, even if marked as collection only), payment date / method of payment etc.

We have never had any issues with buying or selling on the forum, but have wasted lots of time selling on FB Marketplace. ie - you might have a multiple message exchange with someone, provide your home address etc for collection. they say that are coming to collect in say 2 days time, but they never turn up, and never reply to messages when you chase them....in the meantime you have prevented a genuine buyers from purchasing as a result of the time waster.

(On the funny side, never offer a large garden shed as"free, buyer to dismantle"...your phone will not stop pinging...with messages such as "will it fit on the roof of a ford fiesta", "can you deliver for £10", "can you dismantle, we can collect in 4 weeks time". We made that mistake once!)

Last edited:
Appreciate that there are different circumstances to each sale/buying process. There will always be people who will mess you about on both sides. Hence the need for some rules regarding this process to protect BOTH the seller and buyer. Having no rules leaves this process at the discretion of the individual.
The AVFORUM rules are brilliant, everything is agreed publicly (no waiting on moderators to ok the post), prices agreed including wether it’s collection or delivery and then moved to DM. This way it’s totally transparent to all, and everybody knows where they stand. Incidentally I joined to reply to an advert which I now could have replied for free via DM. If people do not honour the agreement then they can be removed from the forum.
As far as I can see this current way of doing things favours the seller, and if the buyer gets bypassed/gazumped/non communication then that’s fine.

I’d never make a public offer. You wouldn’t on Facebook etc., it’s all via direct one-to-one messaging. As a seller, I’d prefer people not making public offers. agree with @Ch1pbutty, there are a number of reasons a seller will favour one offer over another. Personally I see nothing wrong with how this forum operates, but everyone’s view is valid.

Yes each to their own, as I said previously it leaves it to the discretion of the seller how to behave, communicate etc. I've never bought off FB so don't know how it operates. Ebay however clearly shows to all the offer currently made, and possibly have a buy it now price. I can't see the problem with making a public offer here, that's why they are moderated. Did you end up buying the wheels by any chance?

I’d never make a public offer. You wouldn’t on Facebook etc., it’s all via direct one-to-one messaging. As a seller, I’d prefer people not making public offers. agree with @Ch1pbutty, there are a number of reasons a seller will favour one offer over another. Personally I see nothing wrong with how this forum operates, but everyone’s view is valid.

Yes each to their own, as I said previously it leaves it to the discretion of the seller how to behave, communicate etc. I've never bought off FB so don't know how it operates. Ebay however clearly shows to all the offer currently made, and possibly have a buy it now price. I can't see the problem with making a public offer here, that's why they are moderated. Did you end up buying the wheels by any chance?
No not yet. Been thinking of swapping tyres on the same rims - done it before, it costs about £20/ tyre to have a tyre shop swap back to summers in the spring. But I also think giving the nice shiny diamond cut alloys a rest over winter might just extend their life without the dreaded worm corrosion! TBH not sure how much we will use the van over winter, but snow tyres would encourage more use. Also, 17” winters make sense - as opposed to the 18” fitted

As far as I can see this current way of doing things favours the seller, and if the buyer gets bypassed/gazumped/non communication then that’s fine.

The system on here has worked ok for the last 10 years and as far as I remember this is the first time anyone has asked for rules to be imposed.

It doesn’t really favour the seller, there’s nothing to stop the buyer not turning up to collect or changing their mind after saying they will come & collect in two weeks & after you’ve told everyone else it’s sold.

If you are upset about missing out on some winter tyres give it a couple of days & the chances are there will be another set for sale.

At the end of the day this is not ebay, sellers can choose to sell to whoever they want.
There’s a lot of people that have been on here for a long time that I would be happy to bank transfer large amounts too & trust they would post the item - I wouldn’t do that on ebay.

Last edited:
The system on here has worked ok for the last 10 years and as far as I remember this is the first time anyone has asked for rules to be imposed.

It doesn’t really favour the seller, there’s nothing to stop the buyer not turning up to collect or changing their mind after saying they will come & collect in two weeks & after you’ve told everyone else it’s sold.

If you are upset about missing out on some winter tyres give it a couple of days & the chances are there will be another set for sale.
I think it's time to put this to bed. Yes buyers can mess sellers about too, I've already said this. Communication is always key, and you could pay before collection by direct bank transfer ensuring the buyer is genuine. As you've said there will always be another set for sale :)