Advice for German campervan hire summer 2023

F

Fatfranky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi

Not sure whether to post this here or in the hire section

We own a 2007 California SE, and live in North east England, since the pandemic we’ve avoided going to Europe but feel ready to do so next summer and fancy Southern Germany.

A quick calculation suggests that to drive my 35MPG cali from home to Frankfurt (as a nominal starting point) would take about 16 hours ( which I’d have to split over at least 2 days) cost about £350 in fuel plus another £150 for a channel crossing

Alternatively I’m considering hiring a van i Germany and flying out, this would give me 4 more days of holiday by not having to drive

Can anyone recommend a Southern German hire company, or offer any advice or suggestions

Whilst I’d prefer a cali, I would consider other vehicles too

Many thanks

We had a nice chat with a German lady in Italy who was very happy with her hire from

The paint job on their vw was delicious.

They also have loadsof pick up points in germany.

Hi

Not sure whether to post this here or in the hire section

We own a 2007 California SE, and live in North east England, since the pandemic we’ve avoided going to Europe but feel ready to do so next summer and fancy Southern Germany.

A quick calculation suggests that to drive my 35MPG cali from home to Frankfurt (as a nominal starting point) would take about 16 hours ( which I’d have to split over at least 2 days) cost about £350 in fuel plus another £150 for a channel crossing

Alternatively I’m considering hiring a van i Germany and flying out, this would give me 4 more days of holiday by not having to drive

Can anyone recommend a Southern German hire company, or offer any advice or suggestions

Whilst I’d prefer a cali, I would consider other vehicles too

Many thanks
Not sure where you got your figures from. Taking the Harwich to Hook of Holland overnight ferry, Franfurt is 5hrs and 298 miles from Hook of Holland.

Need to factor in Van hire costs in your sums, for me the journey is part of the holiday / trip.
Adding in flying costs and getting to the airport, can’t see how flying and hiring works out cheaper.

Accept you will get more time in your chosen destination.

Figures came from google maps, I just put in Frankfurt as destination and that’s what it gave me! Granted, it went via euro tunnel and I’m quoting ferry.

It may well be 298 miles from Hook of Holland to Frankfurt…. But it’s also 299 miles from my home to Harwich, which would make it a round trip of 1200 miles which makes fuel cost £276 but the Harwich ferry is more like £350 making the comparison price £626

I went for Dover as it’s the cheapest crossing and the quickest point to point route due to its short crossing time

To be honest my post was a request for advice on hire companies or alternative suggestions and were “fag packet” numbers to see how the options stack up

Need to factor in Van hire costs in your sums, for me the journey is part of the holiday / trip.
Adding in flying costs and getting to the airport, can’t see how flying and hiring works out cheaper.

Accept you will get more time in your chosen destination.
Thanks

I never thought fly/hire would be cheaper, it’s more a question of how much more it would cost , which would be offset against additional relaxation time.

I generally like driving and agree about the journey being part of the holiday, hence why I own a campervan, but there’s a world of difference between touring through some nice countryside and a total of 16 hours of mad dash along motorways in my opinion.

Roadsurfer is well known, many use Paulcamper as well. Otherwise McRent (https://www.mcrent.eu/). But owning a Cali I have no experience of using any of them at all, on the contrary at an average of 90/100€ a day rental, plus (cooking) gas, plus limitations on pick-up/drop-off times and days, cleaning fees, extra fees if I need a table, extra fee to lower the insurance, extra fee for awning etc, I never bothered and bought mine straight.
BUT, let's assume I rent one, I would then pick it up and load it at my home and drive off to hols. How are you going to put your personal items in, if you only have a 23Kg max suitcase ?
You haven't mentioned how many of you are travelling and total days of holidays (i.e. rent). But however you calculate you'll struggle to end up better off flying in, taxy to rental, rental at 100€ a day, taxi to airport and flying back. Let alone the logistical nightmare of making all times coincide and how to carry your (camping) stuff by plane.

Thanks

I never thought fly/hire would be cheaper, it’s more a question of how much more it would cost , which would be offset against additional relaxation time.

I generally like driving and agree about the journey being part of the holiday, hence why I own a campervan, but there’s a world of difference between touring through some nice countryside and a total of 16 hours of mad dash along motorways in my opinion.
Living in the south east its easy to forget a lot of people have long journeys to reach a port of exit from the UK. I’m looking to go to Scotland next year and the distance for me is further than driving to Switzerland, shame Swiss franc is so strong.

Living in the south east its easy to forget a lot of people have long journeys to reach a port of exit from the UK. I’m looking to go to Scotland next year and the distance for me is further than driving to Switzerland, shame Swiss franc is so strong.

The great thing about Scotland is the driving (once you’re there) the further north the better it gets

The downside is the midges

Back