Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice for Tall Neighbour Please

marjjeffs

marjjeffs

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Was showing off my lovely van to a neighbour who is looking to buy one. Both he and his son are 6ft 3" . Do any of you very tall people have problems sleeping in a Cali SE please.?

6'2" and no problems in the downstairs bed. I have only used the upstairs bed for an afternoon nap but I think that is OK as well :)

I'm 195cm and don't have a problem. (upstairs bed)

I'm just over 6'3" and fine sleeping downstairs, but upstairs I have to sleep diagonally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2m long air bed has no problems sleeping downstairs,

just the old tart on top of it keeps banging her head when she gets up .....

We have a piece of 9mm plywood which fits across half of the space above the cab when the upper bed is down. A short piece of wood engages with the end of the bed so that the board is level with the top of the mattress. This provides another 50cm beyond the mattress which is ample for my pillow and also gives space for my specs.

I'm 6'4" and can easily stretch out on my tummy with my feet stretched out and toes pointed without getting anywhere near the canvas.

Hope this helps
Jon

We have a piece of 9mm plywood which fits across half of the space above the cab when the upper bed is down. A short piece of wood engages with the end of the bed so that the board is level with the top of the mattress. This provides another 50cm beyond the mattress which is ample for my pillow and also gives space for my specs.

I'm 6'4" and can easily stretch out on my tummy with my feet stretched out and toes pointed without getting anywhere near the canvas.

Hope this helps
Jon
Hi. I am interested in your list above.....do you completely cover one side of the gap? And what do you propose the wood on to keep it in place? Many thanks. CaliAM

Hi, I would also be interested to hear more about this (and photos would be great if possible). I'm 2m (6ft 7in) and although I can sleep upstairs as is, my toes tend to push against the canvas while at the same time it feels that my pillow is about to turn into a lemming and leap into space. I had considered some kind of net but the plywood sounds like a good solution.
Thanks, Mike

6’8” - all fine here.
I’ve slept up top once before on my own and it was tight, but doable.
Downstairs is much better with feet able to dangle off the end of the bed.

Driving is ok too, but head is just missing the roof space. (Note, with spinning front seats there is no height adjustment, so this could be an issue if they are long in the body?)

Hi, I would also be interested to hear more about this (and photos would be great if possible). I'm 2m (6ft 7in) and although I can sleep upstairs as is, my toes tend to push against the canvas while at the same time it feels that my pillow is about to turn into a lemming and leap into space. I had considered some kind of net but the plywood sounds like a good solution.
Thanks, Mike

In our previous Cali (T4) we also used plywood to close the gap above the front seats, creating quite a long upstairs bed. This was mainly to prevent the kids from falling out, but created a a comfy bed for large people. I'll try and add some pictures. I'm sure this can be done in a T5 as well.

20170813_105630-1-973x547.jpg

20180804_111830-300x225.jpg

20180804_101802-300x225.jpg

6foot 4 and very comfortable downstairs. Share the pain of sitting up quickly in the dark though... with rear speaker cupboard

Back