Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice for travelling with needy but boisterous dog - Awning side kit?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi, for years I've travelled with my small Collie-Doodle who is a dream on site and in the van. Sits where she is told, doesn't slobber everywhere, sips her water etc. I've tended to use the van as supplied, occasionally with a separate shelter (not attached) for extra space in the day, but all inside the van in the evening and at night.

I'm being joined by a very energetic black lab, who's wagging tail can fracture bones and who can't have a drink without spilling half the water on the floor. I'm wondering the best set-up for my new companion (who despite being lovely frankly wouldn't be invited without her glamorous owner!).

I initially thought of just putting both dogs in the (detached) inflatable shelter but I fear both will be unhappy there overnight and may cause embarrassing noise on site - Mine because she's grown up sleeping in the van, the lab because she's very 'needy' and wants to be close. The dogs tolerate each other, but are quite competitive over who's the favourite.

Although I've resisted the drive away awning option (with tunnel) because of the phaf, I'm wondering if we could use one to sleep the dogs, leaving the sliding door open so they feel close. I'm also considering the awning panels (room) with the same plan.

I guess then we are effectively sleeping exposed to flies etc which will still get it at the sides, or under the van. Do those baffles work?

Can anyone share any experience of these set ups with dogs as described or offer other pearls of wisdom.

Just take the T4 for the dogs :D.

I have no experience of camping with dogs but having used both awning panels and a driveway awning, I would say neither is perfect but a small driveaway awning would be more practical to me. At least you can leave it set up on site and would be ok in all weathers. The panels are good but you have to pack them away to go out in the van and I am wary of having the awning out in really windy/wet weather.
I have a set of the older style panels you could borrow to try if you like, they don't have the storm flap at the bottom like the later ones but do the same job.

We use a driveaway awning when away for a few nights, and it’s great for our dog. When we’re using the awning with the sides / doors closed he’s free to wander between the van and awning (with us watching him!). When we want to unzip the side, he gets clipped to a 5 meter lead that’s through the wheel and he can come out beside us securely.

It’s also handy for feeding him, and keeping his water bowl out of the van. And if we’ve been out a walk and he’s wet, it’s much easier for drying him off in the awning before he gets anywhere near the upholstery!

He’s pretty small and sleeps in the van overnight, but with the awning setup I’d say the dogs would be fine sleeping overnight in there, assuming the weather was decent. We’ve thought about getting the bit that closes the gap between the van and the ground but haven’t really needed it yet. It may well be a future purchase!

You’ve literally just described Spencer, our bonkers lab.

He has serious detachment issues when his pack isn’t together. Just let her sleep on the bed next to you. !!!

Hi Peter, we don't have a dog but do have both the Comfortz safari room sides and a Kampa blow up (the one that pops up in the shop banner about £350)

Edit: this one

The Kampa is great, but personally I don't like the safari room sides. There's a big gap under the van so you need to block that off, and there are gaps where the sides meet the van. When the wind blows the awning lifts up and it's very uncomfortable. You also get anxiety the awning is going to either blow away, or fill up with rainwater (which it does), usually at 3am in the morning. If the ground is sloping away the gaps are exacerbated, the sides won't reach the ground at the bottom and the whole thing looks a mess because you can't stretch the creases out. Takes ages to peg out too.

I would say the sides are handy as a windbreak, just putting one or two up.

Last edited:
We thought we could use the awning as a safe dog zone but ours are just too inquisitive and the awning to van area is never going to be secure enough to let them off lead (they snuffle under the tent / crawl under the van / push round the sides and that can happen in seconds, even if we're watching), so while we're on-site they are always on a 2-3m long line attached to the van. They got accustomed to that pretty quickly to be honest.

And overnight one of our two dogs gets very needy so our set up is usually to retire "upstairs" leaving both dogs downstairs (bed not made up, so they have the seat OR floor OR front seats to sleep on - they don't snuggle up to each other - and this seems to make them happier than having the expanse of the lower bed) and then overnight, if/when one gets needy usually 4 hours later, one of us (me) coming downstairs and finishes the night on the lower bed with the dogs.

What spoilt dogs they are...

Back