Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed - buying a demo

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all. We were all fired up with our spec and ready to go and a dealer we have been talking to called us re an order they have in. It's 95% of what we want (only missing the towbar that we were still undecided whether we really needed) but also offers a huge amount of extras (circa 5k ish).

He's offered it to us as a demo, saying that they'd keep it for 3 months and then it's ours at a reduced rate, bringing into our budget range.

What would be the downsides of doing this? I'm assuming we would be the 2nd registered owners. But anything else to be aware of?

He's assured us he would keep it parked up so it couldn't be taken out by anyone during the 90 days.

Is this too good to be true?

Thanks

Our 1st Cali was bought like that with 90 miles on the clock when we picked it up, worked for us. Just have a get out of jail free card if the dealer decides to rent it out for 90 days to a family from hell.
Also make sure they (or you) get the extra 2 years warranty taken out within the set time from 1st registration.

Our 1st Cali was bought like that with 90 miles on the clock when we picked it up, worked for us. Just have a get out of jail free card if the dealer decides to rent it out for 90 days to a family from hell.
Also make sure they (or you) get the extra 2 years warranty taken out within the set time from 1st registration.
Thanks Andy - that's helpful. I'm naturally a cynic so trying to decide if I'm missing something or if they're just offering us a good deal.

Hi all. We were all fired up with our spec and ready to go and a dealer we have been talking to called us re an order they have in. It's 95% of what we want (only missing the towbar that we were still undecided whether we really needed) but also offers a huge amount of extras (circa 5k ish).

He's offered it to us as a demo, saying that they'd keep it for 3 months and then it's ours at a reduced rate, bringing into our budget range.

What would be the downsides of doing this? I'm assuming we would be the 2nd registered owners. But anything else to be aware of?

He's assured us he would keep it parked up so it couldn't be taken out by anyone during the 90 days.

Is this too good to be true?

Thanks
Just make sure the deal is right for you, in 90 days there will have been a new registration released and the summer season is over so take this into account with your discount. Good luck with your purchase.

Just make sure the deal is right for you, in 90 days there will have been a new registration released and the summer season is over so take this into account with your discount. Good luck with your purchase.
Good thinking - thank you. Hadn't considered the number plate issue. The summer is less of a problem for us as we were expecting a factory order and not getting it until next year.

Mine was a demo bought blind & had about 45-miles on it, in all respects (aside from being second registered owner & being one month into the next reg plate) it was as-new, well priced & had a 3-day lead time :D

Tom @Amarillo bought his van as a demo on the understanding that he'd have to wait for it & that it wouldn't be used eg: test drives or to sit in on showroom floor - try finding some of his early posts.

Whilst some folks wouldn't like it, it can be a quicker & cheaper route for others - I'd be happy to do it if I agreed terms upfront with the Dealer.

Last edited:
I'm sure I've also read somewhere that Dealers have to have two demos 'available' on paper & that they also have to keep them for 3-months minimum once registered.

Presumably it's a loophole in that no-one says a demo actually has to then get used in any way, so I expect this is quite common ...

Check & double-check the physical spec, a lot of ads are cut 'n pasted (colour / interior / swivel seats etc) & recent vans delivered as 2WD instead of 4Motion & mismatched seat cloth etc ...

If you get the right deal and the spec is correct then it is a no brainer

our first Cali was purchased this way ,we got an incredible deal (15%) and specced it up ourselves ,when it arrived the dealer let us take delivery straight away and didn't invoice us till after the 3 months (we knew the dealer very well)Then we ran it for 40 months & 42500 miles and sold it last week costing us only 5k, excluding our dealer fitted extra's.( bike rack ,seat covers etc) That is the lowest depreciation I have ever experienced on any vehicle I have ever owned and I could have done, even better if I had had the time to sell it myself before the new one arrived ,From another dealer I hasten to add as the previous one no longer sold California's and at a much less discount ..

As others have said just make sure you know what the van is being used for before you get it. Some dealers use theirs as hire / curtesy vehicles. Also be aware of what you loose - 3 months less warranty, won't come with any road tax etc.

Mine was a demo bought blind & had about 45-miles on it, in all respects (aside from being second owner & one month into the next reg plate) it was as-new, well priced & had a 3-day lead time :D

Tom @Amarillo bought his van as a demo on the understanding that he'd have to wait for it & that it wouldn't be used eg: test drives or sit in showroom - try finding some of his early posts.

Whilst some folks wouldn't like it, it can be a quicker & cheaper route for others - I'd be happy to do it if I agreed terms upfront with the Dealer.
Thanks - it's good to hear positive stories. Maybe I'm just too suspicious. But you're right about agreeing terms.

Go for it. IMO it's a no brainer.

We own an T5 SE and a T6 Beach. Both were ex demos from the same dealership. Both had every thing that we would have wanted and more besides. Both had very low mileage when collected and both were in new condition. We purchased them at discounts that you can only dream of when buying a new vehicle. We got +15% on the Beach.

We have discovered no downsides. Please note the following:
1. It is possible to specify a service plan at reduced cost. As far as I can remember the vehicle needs to be less than three months old but the salesman can sort this out for you as ours did.
2. Also go for the extended warrantee. They are usually offered as a cheap package when new.
3. Insist that you get the 10% discount for club VIP members on any dealer supplied accessories. If you aren't a VIP member then upgrade. It is very cheap and well worth while.
4. Caravan and Motorhome club do motor insurance that includes 24 months new for old benifits. This is effectively a form of GAP insurance.

Please make sure that you check the vehicle over thoroughly before paying any money or collecting it. It should be in as new condition. If it isn't then insist the dealer rectify it before you complete. However make sure that your vehicle will only be demonstrated accompanied by a sales person. Don't do it if they loan out their demos for weekends etc.

Good luck.

If you get the right deal and the spec is correct then it is a no brainer

our first Cali was purchased this way ,we got an incredible deal (15%) and specced it up ourselves ,when it arrived the dealer let us take delivery straight away and didn't invoice us till after the 3 months (we knew the dealer very well)Then we ran it for 40 months & 42500 miles and sold it last week costing us only 5k, excluding our dealer fitted extra's.( bike rack ,seat covers etc) That is the lowest depreciation I have ever experienced on any vehicle I have ever owned and I could have done, even better if I had had the time to sell it myself before the new one arrived ,From another dealer I hasten to add as the previous one no longer sold California's and at a much less discount ..
That's incredible. This is what is making us buy new as the second hand options seem expensively comparatively.

As others have said just make sure you know what the van is being used for before you get it. Some dealers use theirs as hire / curtesy vehicles. Also be aware of what you loose - 3 months less warranty, won't come with any road tax etc.
The warranty is a good point too - thanks

Go for it. IMO it's a no brainer.

We own an T5 SE and a T6 Beach. Both were ex demos from the same dealership. Both had every thing that we would have wanted and more besides. Both had very low mileage when collected and both were in new condition. We purchased them at discounts that you can only dream of when buying a new vehicle. We got +15% on the Beach.

We have discovered no downsides. Please note the following:
1. It is possible to specify a service plan at reduced cost. As far as I can remember the vehicle needs to be less than three months old but the salesman can sort this out for you as ours did.
2. Also go for the extended warrantee. They are usually offered as a cheap package when new.
3. Insist that you get the 10% discount for club VIP members on any dealer supplied accessories. If you aren't a VIP member then upgrade. It is very cheap and well worth while.
4. Caravan and Motorhome club do motor insurance that includes 24 months new for old benifits. This is effectively a form of GAP insurance.

Please make sure that you check the vehicle over thoroughly before paying any money or collecting it. It should be in as new condition. If it isn't then insist the dealer rectify it before you complete. However make sure that your vehicle will only be demonstrated accompanied by a sales person. Don't do it if they loan out their demos for weekends etc.

Good luck.
Thanks so much - the service plan/warranty stuff is useful. Didn't realise about the VIP discount and we're hoping to add a bike rack so will definitely upgrade. Will look into that insurance too.

Good points about if it's been left in the hands of newbies to Calis to 'explore' - most people and many salesman are clueless about how to open blinds and cupboards, turn seats, slide the bench all without causing damage etc - sounds daft but the trim and fittings on a Cali are pretty fragile and very easy to mark too.

Last edited:
Bought mine as demo. 3 months old 700 miles. Only used as trade show demo.
You need to thoroughly check everything before taking delivery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mine is a demo, mine had 300 miles on it. They effectively loaned it to me for a while to ensure it had done the mileage required to sell it on.

Only downsides I can see is that I didnt get a choice of extras and colour but it did tend to have all the cosmetic extras anyway.

I don't regret it at all.

Another "Ex-demo" owner here. Brilliant value, brilliant vehicle, the love of my life.

Ex-demo Beach here. I collected with 100 miles on the clock and they loaned me the vehicle for a month prior to registering to me, on its 3 month birthday.

I still pinch myself, the deal was so good. 1 year and 8,000 miles later, I reckon I am still in positive equity.

I had to compromise on some spec, such as entertainment system, wheels and interior colour (would preferred dark rather than light) but overall I have absolutely no regrets.

I did have some PDI issues but these were rectified without issue by the dealer, so heed the advice that you should receive the vehicle as if it is new.

I also went for the extended warranty and the Caravan Club insurance with 2 years new for old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all - this is really helpful. We'll go and see and decide. Really struggling to decide between new and used.

Thanks all - this is really helpful. We'll go and see and decide. Really struggling to decide between new and used.
You are looking at this the wrong way. Yes, technically a demo is used but as you have seen on this thread most have next to no miles on the clock and are show room fresh. If your demo isn't the same then don't buy it. So no marked difference to a new one except you should be able to have it within three months and at a vastly superior discount. Or put another way, if you don't buy a demo you'll wait for many months and pay much more for something that's almost identicle.

The only down side to a demo is finding one that meets your spec requirements.

Last edited:
Bought a demo as well.Not the exact spec I wanted, but well worth the compromise. No different to a new van, except on paper, I'm the second owner.
Regards,
Dougie

Back