Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice Needed - Cali Ocean 6.1 vs 6.0

D

DoodleBugs123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Mowning, after a year of thinking about buying a Cali Ocean and I am now on the verge of buying one. However a curve ball has just been thrown…. I was looking at a 3 year old used T6 Ocean with low mileage and a few extras on it, but a cancelled order for a T6.1 has come up for only £5K more.

Would be great to get any practical advice on ownership pros and cons, especially as the price have gone through the roof the last 12 months and don‘t want to be left with negative equity….

Many thanks,

Rich

Mowning, after a year of thinking about buying a Cali Ocean and I am now on the verge of buying one. However a curve ball has just been thrown…. I was looking at a 3 year old used T6 Ocean with low mileage and a few extras on it, but a cancelled order for a T6.1 has come up for only £5K more.

Would be great to get any practical advice on ownership pros and cons, especially as the price have gone through the roof the last 12 months and don‘t want to be left with negative equity….

Many thanks,

Rich
If we ever get out of the present situation and foreign holidays return to normal there will be an awful lot of leisure vehicles on the market. Negative equity will be in abundance.
A low milage T6 without the extended warranty will really depend on how its been used and stored. Low miles can be problematic.
A new T6. 1 with an extended warranty, at least you know your responsible for how it's used.

I agree with @WelshGas the warranty is a big consideration. Its hard to advise without a bit more detail - what are the actual prices? Dealer or private sales? It might be T6 is overpriced or the T6.1 is a bargain. Also what are the extras on the 6 and how does the spec compare on the 6.1? All other things being equal the 6.1 looks like a better deal if it isnt overpriced (which a lot of cancelled orders are at the moment).

I agree with @WelshGas the warranty is a big consideration. Its hard to advise without a bit more detail - what are the actual prices? Dealer or private sales? It might be T6 is overpriced or the T6.1 is a bargain. Also what are the extras on the 6 and how does the spec compare on the 6.1? All other things being equal the 6.1 looks like a better deal if it isnt overpriced (which a lot of cancelled orders are at the moment).

Thanks for all the advice. T6 is £60k with warranty to Sept 22. The extras take it to a T6.1 spec. T6.1 is just under £66k and is a basic van with the 5th seat and solid paint.

Meant to add both prices are from a main dealer.

Thanks for all the advice. T6 is £60k with warranty to Sept 22. The extras take it to a T6.1 spec. T6.1 is just under £66k and is a basic van with the 5th seat and solid paint.
Any T6.1 Ocean at £66k sounds like a very good buy in todays market.
Other than 5th seat & tow bar which you either need / want or you don't, there's nothing extra really needed on a T6.1

I assume the T6 if specced up, has reversing camera, sat nav, Led headlights etc

I would be going for the new van, especially if you can get the warranty extended to 5 years very cheaply & a some sort of cheap service deal. If financing you may find that you get a better interest rate on new v used van as well.
The cost of adding that warranty etc to a used van soon erodes the saving.

Also check tax - new van is circa £240/year. used may be on the £500+ for another 4 years.

Ok so the 6.1 is a £67.5k van with a 2% discount, which isn't bad off the forecourt. As @andyinluton says, thats a good deal in the current market for a van you can drive away immediately. You could get 10% off if you ordered new through drive the deal or autoebid, or have some nice extras for the same price, but you would be waiting a year for delivery. If you are financing it, it may be a better interest rate, and maybe with a VW finance contribution on the new van. Maybe 4 year warranty as well. The deals seem to vary from time to time. From what you have described I think I would take the T6.1. I bet it will get snapped up very quickly if you don’t!

Touched upon above, but if you're looking to finance it, the APR on new vehicles is usually significantly lower than a used one

T6 3 years old - T6.1 0 years old, if kept for 3 years then 6 & 3.
I'd expect the 3 year old to have more than £5K value advantage than the 6 year old.
Other factors as above advice plus T6.1 will have a new set of tyres to add into the equation.

Thanks all and @andyinluton a very good point on the road tax, it has the premium tax as well so over £500 vs the £240.

I’ve gone for the 6.1 and going to push for the extended warranty. It has 2 services and guardex included.

can’t wait.
Excellent choice.
Also solves all the questions about what options to go for! just take it as it is.
I don't know if its still available, but to extend our warranty from 3 years to 5 was about £350 as long as done within 3 months of the van being registered. If so its not worth falling out over even if you have to pay for it.

Back