Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed - help with kitchen doors

W

Warren Oak

VIP Member
I fell against my cupboard doors in my Cali, I have now broken the two plastic runners that hold it in place. This is the door underneath the sink area. Does anyone know of a way to fix this without buying a new door at £480 inc vat. This is without fitting. Any ideas please!

A year ago we had the same problem. I ordered the runners at the VWCampershop in the Netherlands for something like 40 euros (but I have to check that). With the help of a friend I succeeded to repair the doors within a few hours (it took time to find out how the runners should be fitted).

Many thanks Herrie, I will look into this and try and fix them myself.

If needed I could send you a small pdf with pictures of the repair procedure. German text but I think that shouldn't be a problem.

Some of the DIY stores have plastic channels. Might be worth a try before splashing out on the VW part.

If needed I could send you a small pdf with pictures of the repair procedure. German text but I think that shouldn't be a problem.
If you could send the pfd that would be a great help. Thankyou for your help. Warren.

This is the repair kit for the cupboard with new plastic sliders, metal bracket, screws and some smooth padding for the screw heads. Fairly easy to fit so long as you are a contortionist....WIN_20200405_22_47_54_Pro (2).jpgand

This is the repair kit for the cupboard with new plastic sliders, metal bracket, screws and some smooth padding for the screw heads. Fairly easy to fit so long as you are a contortionist....View attachment 57098and
Thank you very much! I’ve just ordered the parts.

Last edited:
Can you tell me where you ordered the parts from please? I've been going round in circles this evening trying to find where they're stocked. Thanks in advance.
VW. Or the Forum shop might be able to get them for you.

Hi - I’ve been using google translate on the German exploded diagram above which states that a fastening agent has been used on the little screws holding the upper brackets to the rear of the doors - does that mean a locktite/glue? I’’ve only got very basic right-angle Allen keys right now - one of which appears to fit well but slips out under tension... I really don’t want to bur the screws and have this niggling doubt they might be torx screws or something instead Can anyone confirm what they are? If they’re a 2mm Allen key or something specific then I’ll get a proper screwdriver....

My knowledge of the German language is ok and in this context I believe ''sicherungsmittel" means
'a means of attaching' and not 'glue'. But perhaps a native speaker will correct me.

I went out to the van and tried to take a picture of the screws. Not easy, as it's a tight space. See the photo below. It's not easy to see and I can understand you'd have a hard time deciding whether they are alan or torx screws, but from the photo and the view I had in my van, I'd put my money on it being alan screws.

screw.jpg

Hi - I’ve been using google translate on the German exploded diagram above which states that a fastening agent has been used on the little screws holding the upper brackets to the rear of the doors - does that mean a locktite/glue? I’’ve only got very basic right-angle Allen keys right now - one of which appears to fit well but slips out under tension... I really don’t want to bur the screws and have this niggling doubt they might be torx screws or something instead Can anyone confirm what they are? If they’re a 2mm Allen key or something specific then I’ll get a proper screwdriver....
I had the same problem on my SE I did not use any glue or locktite. I do seem to remember there was a logical order to fit the hinges. On my model it is Allen key. You might need a better quality steel in your keys. A cheap set of small diameter will round off easy.

@ThomasHJ - that's very kind of you to take a photo - it is somewhat of a yoga manoeuvre to get under there! seems like 2 votes for Allen screw and one for Torx... perhaps both would work given the size and shape. I already know that my budget allen key isn't up for the job so will take a look with a small torx screwdriver and see how I get on and buy the right tool for the job with what I learn.

Thanks all!

The plot thickens - this is my 2017 T6 and they really look like hex/Allen key heads to me?16D4A77D-CBD8-45DA-982C-4DDEF910722E.jpeg

lol, seems they took whatever they had lying around? ;-)

Back