Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on buying privately.

Outanbout

Outanbout

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hello to you all and I’m looking for guidance / advice on buying a second hand VW camper van from a private seller.
My problem is handing over a large amount of £’s to an unknown private individual in exchange for a Camper van.
You hear stories of people buying cars from private sellers and then a while after finding out that it’s eg, a cut and shut / stolen.
So, in an attempt to minimise the risk, what checks would you recommend be done to confirm that the vehicle is genuine and the seller is the legal owner.
The alternative which gives me more security would be to purchase from a dealer, but that comes at a premium.
Your help will be very much appreciated and thank you for taking an interest.

Chris.

HI Chris My Advice would be Take someone with you who has experience of buying a second hand vehicle or get an AA or RAC check done then see if you can find someone on here that can come with you too check it all works habitation wise. also do an hpi check and also check mot's on the govement website. good luck

The California is a premium priced vehicle and as I was looking around you could tell that the owners treated them like one of the family.
If the California has been in their ownership since new, or for several years I don’t think you’d have much to worry about.
If they’ve had it for less than a season, I’d be inclined to look elsewhere.

If it’s not a California, but a converted van, then I’d be a touch more cautious. Personally I’d stick to known converters, with proper rock and roll beds fitted as you’ve no idea what you are buying if it’s a home made affair.

Ultimately this ‘unknown’ factor steered me towards the California and I’m very pleased to have one.
Take your time there’s lots out there to choose from depending on your budget.

You can use an Escrow account where the money is held in trust for both parties by an independent organisation.

Alan

Look out on this forum in the adds , pretty sure all honest sellers ....

Well....thank you for all your replies, they are much appreciated and will be acted on.
My preference is to buy a genuine California camper as they look built to a high standard as one would expect from VW, but I’ve not totally ruled out a Bilbo conversion.

Many thanks for your helpful replies.

Chris.

Best advice I can give is...

Know your budget.

Research the cali you want thoroughly Inc know your extras.

Buy one from on this forum

Don't fall inlove

Be quick and use webalertxp to check for new listings

Be patient

Research research

If you are going for a 14 plate realise that money will probably need to be spent on cambelt pump tyres brakes etc a 12 plate should have all that done.

Research and patience

Good luck:thumb