Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on buying

Stevieste23

Stevieste23

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all.

New to the forum but have been reading posts for a bit. Me and the wife are looking to buy a California Ocean (or even SE) in the not too distant future.

We have owned a T5 Kombi in the past. We have watched nearly every video on California’s on YouTube. We have scoured every selling site comparing prices and models.

Before we make any decisions, can I ask advise on 2 subjects.

First of all, my first option would be a 204PS and 4motion. 204PS because in general I have always liked to have a bit of power and in general it has been my starting point when buying any car (but this is a California). 4motion as we may head up into the Alps skiing on occasions and thought this may be a bit of help. Any advise for and against would be welcomed.

Secondly. I am more in the thinking of getting something older that has already lost its biggest depreciation, therefore limiting the loss of value when we come to sell. But this may have no warranty etc etc. My wife is more in the buying new/nearly new camp, with warranty etc etc. Might sound a no brainer, but forgetting the initial price, I am looking at the least amount of loss (or is it false economy, with no warranty etc). Again we are really torn, any help would be appreciated.

P.S this will be my daily drive.

Hi all.

New to the forum but have been reading posts for a bit. Me and the wife are looking to buy a California Ocean (or even SE) in the not too distant future.

We have owned a T5 Kombi in the past. We have watched nearly every video on California’s on YouTube. We have scoured every selling site comparing prices and models.

Before we make any decisions, can I ask advise on 2 subjects.

First of all, my first option would be a 204PS and 4motion. 204PS because in general I have always liked to have a bit of power and in general it has been my starting point when buying any car (but this is a California). 4motion as we may head up into the Alps skiing on occasions and thought this may be a bit of help. Any advise for and against would be welcomed.

Secondly. I am more in the thinking of getting something older that has already lost its biggest depreciation, therefore limiting the loss of value when we come to sell. But this may have no warranty etc etc. My wife is more in the buying new/nearly new camp, with warranty etc etc. Might sound a no brainer, but forgetting the initial price, I am looking at the least amount of loss (or is it false economy, with no warranty etc). Again we are really torn, any help would be appreciated.

P.S this will be my daily drive.
One of the best dealers in the UK in Preston, they are reputed to give some of the best discounts. Drop in and see what stock he has/best price if ordered new. Depreciation rate is amongst the lowest of any mass produced vehicle in Europe.

Thanks for quick replies. We have visited the Preston branch. But until we are fully serious on what we want, we Didn’t want to waste their time, trying to get a deal on a new one. Regarding not wanting to sell it. I hope that is the case and we want to have it for many years. We could go down the older route and after a few years sell and buy another (again trying to minimise loss). Or buy new/nearly and keep it for a lot longer.

Another question would you go “full fat” on a couple of years older one or go for maybe 150PS and no 4motion on a new one. Has anyone been to a skiing resort in a 2 wheel drive version and how did perform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I test drove both a 150 and 204 PS (both DSG auto), 2WD. Its personal, but I just wasn't happy enough with the 150. I know many people are, so its personal. With the 204, there seems to be no need (or even benefit) in selecting the S mode. 4motion would be nice to have, but it uses more fuel on a vehicle that is already above average on consumption. When I drive mine, I feel I am driving a luxury car, every bit as good as the BMW I used to own, or the LR Freelander. Yes, I have plenty of options: Active cruise control, rear camera, heated seats (standard), multi-control stearing wheel, satnav, etc. Its my daily vehicle (although I work at home, so don't drive much during week!). Its a little heavy for driving around town, but superb for long distance.

I wouldn't be without the warranty, mine is the T6 & it appears to have some issues!

Love it but it's been back to the dealership more than every other vehicle I've owned put together & the fix is currently unavailable. However, every time the light cones on, it has to be checked as it might be something else.

I disagree about it being heavy round town, best vehicle I've had for slow speeds.
Well, it can depend on where you are. Here in Brussels, we have lots of speed bumps, a lot of narrow roads with parked cars and the crazy 'priority to the right rule', which means you need to hesitate at every small road from the right, just in case someone zooms out without stopping or slowing!

Had a 2wd and 4wd both running on winter tyres and honestly the 2wd was as good. Lighter as well and not as hungry on fuel. For most applications 2wd is fine with the right tyres.

Ah, point taken.

It also depends on previous vehicles, in my case, heavy BMW with poor visibility, as I'm short!

Thanks for all your advice. We are going to have a look at 2 vehicles tomorrow. We have decided for the moment to drop the 4motion desire for now. We are going to look at a 204ps and 150ps fully loaded with toys. I guess I will know once I drive them both. But weighing up the extra power against the better fuel economy got me looking back at the 150ps as an option. Quite excited but also quite nervous at spending a small fortune. In your experience, have you managed to get any extras or deals from a VW van centre? I hear stories that because they are commercial, its the price you see is the price you pay. Also any quick tips or regrets from your time viewing and buying your Cali? Thanks again

Thanks for all your advice. We are going to have a look at 2 vehicles tomorrow. We have decided for the moment to drop the 4motion desire for now. We are going to look at a 204ps and 150ps fully loaded with toys. I guess I will know once I drive them both. But weighing up the extra power against the better fuel economy got me looking back at the 150ps as an option. Quite excited but also quite nervous at spending a small fortune. In your experience, have you managed to get any extras or deals from a VW van centre? I hear stories that because they are commercial, its the price you see is the price you pay. Also any quick tips or regrets from your time viewing and buying your Cali? Thanks again

We ordered our van to our specification to be used as a demonstrator for up to three months before delivery to us. In return we got a 14% discount on van and options.

In general, if you are a cash buyer, 7-9% discount is normal.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I had it second hand (from a VW dealer) that the 150 PS was best. In his (personal) view the 204 was an oil burner and the motor was "stressed" to achieve the higher output.

Take it at face value - I am no expert - but worth an ask about oil consumption when looking.

Thanks for the advice "before" buying. We purchased our Cali last Friday and pick it up next Saturday. In the end we went for a 2018 150PS Cali Ocean in Indiam Grey. Cant wait to get started. Just joined the VIP on here and starting out buying a few essentials.

Thanks for the advice "before" buying. We purchased our Cali last Friday and pick it up next Saturday. In the end we went for a 2018 150PS Cali Ocean in Indiam Grey. Cant wait to get started. Just joined the VIP on here and starting out buying a few essentials.

Great choice - same as ours! Hope you have lots of fun too!

Thanks for quick replies. We have visited the Preston branch. But until we are fully serious on what we want, we Didn’t want to waste their time, trying to get a deal on a new one. Regarding not wanting to sell it. I hope that is the case and we want to have it for many years. We could go down the older route and after a few years sell and buy another (again trying to minimise loss). Or buy new/nearly and keep it for a lot longer.

Another question would you go “full fat” on a couple of years older one or go for maybe 150PS and no 4motion on a new one. Has anyone been to a skiing resort in a 2 wheel drive version and how did perform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got back from the French alps in ours 2wd 150 with all season tyres on,no problem whatsoever.if the snows heavy you have to wear snow chains regardless

I ached over the new 199PS or the 150 when orderd September last year (I was told that the 204 wd be replaced by the time mine arrived). I opted for the 150 and find its got plenty poke and if you drive it at a steady 50-60 on MWay I can get 48.1 MPG (thats the best I have achieved on only 2 long runs to date). Winter tyres are better than 4 wheel drive, and cheaper.

Back