Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on Coast Extras please

J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi, Ive had a price on a new Coast & off to test drive soon, I have researched on here previous posts but wanted to ask members for some honest advice re -

1. Climatronic 2nd heating system - costed at £825.00 - nobody will be travelling in back as only 2 of us so am querying if its worth it?
2. Towbar - removable & lockable inc trailer stabilisation - costed at £640.00 - seems high & unsure if I will be towing so I assume could be added after?
3. Dark tinted glass in rear - £295.00 - have read a lot of posts that people dont think dark enough so would I be better to add after?
4. Interior light concept for camper comfort - £605.00 - tempted to get this but is it worth it?
5. Upgrade to 17" Devonport Alloy - £635.00 - would I be better getting the standard set for free & buying these after off ebay then selling my 16" set?

Thank you I know I can ask all these questions at the test drive but would appreciate some honest answers please & I know its all down to personal choice but I am wanting to keep my price fairly low & not bothered about high tech etc.:)

Welcome
1 - may help re-sale
2 - harder to retrofit, especially with reversing camera, so I’d go for it
3 - I went aftermarket. Have a look at some and make your own choice. Many here find tbe privacy glass enough.
4 - I’m not familiar with this so can’t comment
5 - that’s a personal choice... maybe some one who has retrofitted can comment

good look in finalising your spec.

I have been going through a similar though process.

1. Climatronic 2nd heating system - I would go for this - it has a couple of handy functions - REST function can use the excess engine heat to keep the van warm when you setup - also has a second condenser so can keep the whole van cool - handy if in europe - even with no-one in the back!

2. Towbar - we had one on the old van - I was thinking of living without on the new van - but decided I preferred a towbar bike rack rather than the classic rear window rack. It will cost more to fit a proper one later on.

3. Dark tinted glass in rear - not much to say here - you will want it tinted - the main difference with the Coast is that it is not double glazed and this is not an option to add. Our old van was an SE and had double glazing and I wanted it on the new van.

4. Interior light concept for camper comfort You don't need it - but it is cool - so I would go for it.

5. Upgrade to 17" Devonport Alloy I am old and like a squidgy ride so would leave it at 16" - like you say there will be loads of Ocean people selling 17" wheels in the future while they upgrade to 18", 19" 20" wheels - so try out the 16s and buy more if you really must later on (then you can sell the 16's or keep them for winter wheels)

In the end I used man maths to convince myself that the Ocean was worth the extra money. You get loads more tech in the Van bit and the double glazing.

If we were to get a coast we would add:

• Heated Seats
  • Tinted Glass
  • Front Fogs
  • Mud Flaps
  • Interior light concept for Camper
  • Towbar
  • Climatronic

I've got the interior light concept -- adds a few extra lights and is definitely worth it in my view. I think otherwise would be dim inside.

I think the climatronic a good idea too --- gives you more control of temperatures in the front and when it's super hot / cold the extra cooling /heating would be beneficial. and a definite bonus for resale value / desirability

Worth checking if the 17” wheel upgrade upgrades the front discs too (which I think it did on the T6 beach) which is worth having. The larger discs won’t fit inside the 16s. If you buy an aftermarket set you might want 5 for a matching spare. 17s will come with a 17” spare. Anything bigger and the spare won’t
Fit the carrier.

Get the 3 zone air con. Cools the large space much quicker.

If you are not sure on towbar at least get the prep as it is a cheaper/easier towbar fit later on.

1-it helps resale but not by £825
2-if you need one, this it's best to get it pre installed. You'll probably match the price for the full spec, but some have had hassle on installs
3-you've understood correctly
4-no idea but very surprised if it adds £605 of value, or resale
5-yep, but be aware 16" wheels fetch much less than 17"s
Generally, I think folks are attracted to the Coast for its simplicity and saving over an ocean. There will be a difference at resale so don't kill the saving by over-speccing it. If that advice isn't needed because money isn't an option, buy an Ocean.

Oh and ride comfort has as much to do with tyre pressure than it does with tyre wall height, so look at the pressures they run at. 215/60/17s are high pressure. 235/55/17s are low pressure. From memory, 16" run quite high pressure.

Oh and ride comfort has as much to do with tyre pressure than it does with tyre wall height, so look at the pressures they run at. 215/60/17s are high pressure. 235/55/17s are low pressure. From memory, 16" run quite high pressure.
You see that's where girls just dont understand this kind of info!? So are high or low pressure more comfortable!?!?

You see that's where girls just dont understand this kind of info!? So are high or low pressure more comfortable!?!?
Yep, lower pressures give a nicer ride over bumps. I'm not sure of the science behind why pressures vary for the different sizes, but with real personal experience, it matters.

Our recent hire vehicle had 215/60/17's and I was not impressed by the ride over rough surfaces at all. Anyone who has experience of the (horrid) earlier BMW runflats will know all about them and the way they ruin the ride. The Cali felt like it was on runflats, so I am definitely speccing 235's.

As you can see there is quite a difference in pressures depending on the tyre width/ratio.
as there is less tyre in contact with the road with the narrower tyre, the pressure has to be higher, so a stiffer ride.
1599585755306.png

Re comfort lighting, my wife insisted we added it to our Coast and she was correct. The most important lights imo it adds are the 3 in the upper bed area but the option also gives the van a more pleasant hue in the lower area. Brightness adjustments from the control panel are a bit finicky but you can also use the switches.

hello,
we ordered a T6.1 coast last Monday and did not tick the interior light concept ... should I have done this? I would think so if I read it here. At the time of ordering I thought it was too expensive for some extra lights; we also have the simple air conditioning (we come from none, so for us a whole upgrade)
What we did take: sound-insulating glass with tinted windows, these are darker than the privacy glass. You don't have to let it darken afterwards.
It has been ordered with 17 inch steel wheels (due to the larger brakes in the front) and these will be exchanged with Davenport upon delivery (the VW dealer has the Davenport at an interesting price and will take over the steel wheels). Then I also have the tires of my choice fitted (Michelin CrossClimate xl).
I don't need a towbar and I got a bicycle rack with it, but if you already know that you want to go with a bicycle rack for mounting on a towbar, for example, I would take it.
We ourselves took the extra heating, sight and light plus package, front and rear sensors (no camera), cruise control, sliding window in sliding door, fifth seat, sat nav radio and some other things. Our aim was not to have an electro-hydraulic roof and cheaper than the ocean. This was successful (8,000 euros cheaper :D). Our order was mainly in function of what we had and want to keep (manual roof and occasionally the possibility to drive with more than 4) and what do we wish but did not have (air conditioning, more horsepower).
Have fun ordering!

And now wait for the Coast :bananadance2
Greetings

hello,
we ordered a T6.1 coast last Monday and did not tick the interior light concept ... should I have done this? I would think so if I read it here. At the time of ordering I thought it was too expensive for some extra lights; we also have the simple air conditioning (we come from none, so for us a whole upgrade)
What we did take: sound-insulating glass with tinted windows, these are darker than the privacy glass. You don't have to let it darken afterwards.
It has been ordered with 17 inch steel wheels (due to the larger brakes in the front) and these will be exchanged with Davenport upon delivery (the VW dealer has the Davenport at an interesting price and will take over the steel wheels). Then I also have the tires of my choice fitted (Michelin CrossClimate xl).
I don't need a towbar and I got a bicycle rack with it, but if you already know that you want to go with a bicycle rack for mounting on a towbar, for example, I would take it.
We ourselves took the extra heating, sight and light plus package, front and rear sensors (no camera), cruise control, sliding window in sliding door, fifth seat, sat nav radio and some other things. Our aim was not to have an electro-hydraulic roof and cheaper than the ocean. This was successful (8,000 euros cheaper :D). Our order was mainly in function of what we had and want to keep (manual roof and occasionally the possibility to drive with more than 4) and what do we wish but did not have (air conditioning, more horsepower).
Have fun ordering!

Greetings

How exciting for you - I think as youre in Europe your options are different to ours - no option of sound insulating glass with tinted windows in uk - Im not sure how easy it would be to add to the order once placed for the lighting - yes thats my aim too as would rather spend the money on the interior space comfort than the electric gadgets - have fun:thumb

Many of us have grown up In vans with just basic lighting (a couple down each side, on or off operation, and if you are lucky, one in the pop top) so the idea of spending £600 on top of that seems bonkers. I’d be expecting a crystal cut chandelier for that.

Similarly, as @calibusje says, when you’ve had no air con, basic air con ‘for free’ is fab.

hello,
Have fun ordering!

Greetings
If you add or could add the double glazed darker windows, heater, extra lights, air con for the back, alloy wheels there is no much savings vs an Ocean.
People seems scared to death by the Electrohydraulic roof, because of some issues of older models. Mind you they sell a lot of Oceans in Europe, and it isn't such a frequent problem.

If you add or could add the double glazed darker windows, heater, extra lights, air con for the back, alloy wheels there is no much savings vs an Ocean.
People seems scared to death by the Electrohydraulic roof, because of some issues of older models. Mind you they sell a lot of Oceans in Europe, and it isn't such a frequent problem.
hello,
have you read everything? We have made a well-considered choice and yet are still 8,000 euros cheaper than an ocean. For us this is still a considerable sum.
Our order was mainly in function of what we had and want to keep (manual roof, auxiliary heater and occasionally the possibility to drive with more than 4) and what do we wish but did not have (air conditioning, more horsepower). Each his choice. We are simple people; we will even have alloy wheels fitted by the garage because of the cheapness ;) ...and didn't add air con in the back.... we're happy with the standard one. Oh, and we don't want to sit like in a fishbowl anymore, hence the darkened windows (which are actually together with the sound-insulating windows - double glazing cannot be ordered in Belgium on the 'coast').
I don't want to be one of those with a broken electro-hydraulic roof while traveling, but above all we have been satisfied with a manual roof for years, so why am I afraid of the electro-hydraulic roof?
Greetings

Last edited:
Back