Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice please. Best toilet tent.

M

mikeringrose

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello Folks,

My wife and I bought a Popaloo tent and it popped up just fine. The git of thing refuses to pop down even though we have watched Youtube videos. The bloody thing caused a row last night and now the tent has been chucked in the spare room. I never wish to see this tent again.

Can anyone recommend a quality compact toilet tent please?

Regards
Mike

Kayham pop ups easily and packs up easily. Also has a slit in the top for shower.

How could it cause a row if neither could do it, or didn't you listen to SWMBO,:mute

We really did battle with that tent- with the video paused at the critical moments and still we didn't get it. Before we took off for Spain last year I had it out in the garden and in the end did manage it. I would need to check again if we took it again. There is a simple cross of the hands at some point which at first seems counter intuitive. I recon the makers should either redesign or find more foolproof instructions.

I'm surprised no one makes something that hangs down from the open rear tailgate. Or do they?

It does have a most terrible reputation.

some of the U tube video's of people trying to fold it are worse than a victorian drama...

and I used to be a hysterical .... er ... historical ... consultant on many.

+1 for the Khyam... Expensive but awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised no one makes something that hangs down from the open rear tailgate. Or do they?

Hi there,

Quite a few people do...

Reimo make a few different options, personal favourite... The Fritz.

lmk5h2v

Reimo Frtiz

Rgds
Mark

Hi there,

Quite a few people do...

Reimo make a few different options, personal favourite... The Fritz.

Reimo Frtiz

Rgds
Mark
Look interesting, but
Dimensions 55 x 44 x 44 cm (in English about 22" x 18" x 18")
If this is the packed size, it's going to use up a lot of storage space?
Colin

We really did battle with that tent- with the video paused at the critical moments and still we didn't get it. I recon the makers should either redesign or find more foolproof instructions.
We were on a campsite in France last year, and two young German ladies opposite us were in tears because they just couldn't get their large pop-up tent to fold back down into the car, despite fighting it for 1/2 hour. My wife offered to help, and with a quick flick & a twist it was done - I think she must be a tent whisperer. I wouldn't have had a clue.
Simon

Personally I would persevere with the poplar tent. Once mastered it's like riding a bicycle, never forgotten.:thumb

I bought an Oztent CR1 a few years ago (CR1=changing room for 1) which "folds down with a twist" in a couple of seconds. When I first unpacked it, it exploded out of the bag and knocked me across the room to my wife's great amusement. Folding it back was a nightmare but after watching the video and doing it exactly as shown, it became easy (ish). It's very well made and packs up exquisitely in its own flat circular bag.
I've seen a few identical ones but badged differently and slightly more ragged looking in my travels around Europe.

That does sound exactly like the Popaloo one, at least in design concept.

I have a Kyham toilet/shower tent for sale if your interested ? (see ad on forum) Paul.

Oh this has made me laugh, as my husband and I can identify with the problems encountered with the Popaloo tent. The first time we tried it, we fought with it for ages in the back garden until we totally fell out over the flipping thing. A friend arrived to visit in the middle of the melee. He is on antidepressants and we saw him laugh for the first time in months, so something good came out of it. I still can't fold it, but my husband eventually can. I just stay out of the way until it is safely back in its bag.

Oh this has made me laugh, as my husband and I can identify with the problems encountered with the Popaloo tent. The first time we tried it, we fought with it for ages in the back garden until we totally fell out over the flipping thing. A friend arrived to visit in the middle of the melee. He is on antidepressants and we saw him laugh for the first time in months, so something good came out of it. I still can't fold it, but my husband eventually can. I just stay out of the way until it is safely back in its bag.

Best left to the men.:bananadance

Maybe they should have a Popaloo tent folding workshop followed by a timed competition at COTF this year :)

We bought a Popaloo and tent from the NEC show last week.

I followed the technique a cameraman friend used to fold up a big Lastolite blue screen. I folded it flat and wedged the top into the corner between the floor and wall, and pushed the bottom down while twisting it. It folded down perfectly and we quickly stuffed it back into the bag!

Think this may work well against the wheel of the van.

Needs to be practiced I think, to avoid embarrassment!

Alan

Back