Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice Please - Thule VeloSpace XT 3 bike tow bar carrier

Renroc

Renroc

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Can anyone please tell me if the Thule VeloSpace XT 3 bike tow bar carrier tilts enough to allow the tailgate to open on the T6 California Ocean. I contacted Thule and they said as this one tilted 70 degrees (as opposed to 50 degrees for the rest of their carriers) it might but I should go to a local stockist to try one. I went to Halfords and although they have one in stock they say it would take them an hour to build it and if I didn’t want it, what would they do with it! I want to be able to fit the Thule BackSpace XT cargo box and apparently this carrier ia the only one it’s compatible with. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

There has been lots on this. My experience, see below, is "it depends".

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...estions-towbar-wild-camping.42320/post-546394

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...estions-towbar-wild-camping.42320/post-547793

As you will see from the links, the towbar itself makes a difference.
Thank you Ianm. I have the VW fitted removable towbar. I guess I will have to find somewhere they have it ready built in stock and try it. Many thanks. Christine

Can anyone please tell me if the Thule VeloSpace XT 3 bike tow bar carrier tilts enough to allow the tailgate to open on the T6 California Ocean. I contacted Thule and they said as this one tilted 70 degrees (as opposed to 50 degrees for the rest of their carriers) it might but I should go to a local stockist to try one. I went to Halfords and although they have one in stock they say it would take them an hour to build it and if I didn’t want it, what would they do with it! I want to be able to fit the Thule BackSpace XT cargo box and apparently this carrier ia the only one it’s compatible with. Any advice welcome. Thanks.
We have a Thule Velospace XT3 and confirm that it does tilt enough (with bikes loaded) to allow the tailgate to open. Also allows our rear slide out tray to fully extend.

We have a Thule Velospace XT3 and confirm that it does tilt enough (with bikes loaded) to allow the tailgate to open. Also allows our rear slide out tray to fully extend.
Brilliant, thank you. Do you have the factory fitted removable tow bar? Thanks. Christine.

Brilliant, thank you. Do you have the factory fitted removable tow bar? Thanks. Christine.
We did @Renroc.
The only thing you may have to do on the bike rack is to move the wire restraining cables into the second position (holes are pre drilled). These cables determine the amount of tilt.

We did @Renroc.
The only thing you may have to do on the bike rack is to move the wire restraining cables into the second position (holes are pre drilled). These cables determine the amount of tilt.
Thank you very much. Regards. Christine

I really like this rack but how does it affect the reverse camera view,also the Thule box that fits on the rack but again I guess it blocks the camera view?
Yes it does block the reversing camera view to a large extent and totally blocked when our waterproof bike cover is fitted. Not been a major problem so far.

Yes it does block the reversing camera view to a large extent and totally blocked when our waterproof bike cover is fitted. Not been a major problem so far.
Pros and cons,but the good bit is you don’t need to lift the bikes as far which is a big plus and worry about the boot lid crashing down on you when accessing the boot.

I’ve got to know.. what is that slide-out drawer thing and where do I get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi @GeorgeandAnne there are quite a few manufactures of Slide Out Drawers for the California. Mine was from Calicap in Germany. I believe the Club Shop sells a version.
It’s very useful in my opinion. Allows easy access to ‘stuff’ stored under the bed board. Especially when fully loaded with gear.

Hi @GeorgeandAnne there are quite a few manufactures of Slide Out Drawers for the California. Mine was from Calicap in Germany. I believe the Club Shop sells a version.
It’s very useful in my opinion. Allows easy access to ‘stuff’ stored under the bed board. Especially when fully loaded with gear.
BTW the long piece on the front of the drawer is not part of it. It’s an additional rafter for the wind out awning that I store there.

Good pic of the capabilities.
Just one Q. Did you have to remove any 'End plugs' to enable the carrier to tilt that far back?
Hi @Doorbundle
The rack has two retaining cables which limit the amount of tilt. There is a second set of holes in the frame that I moved the cables to. Easy 5 minute job.
You can see one of the cables in this photo.

2A09A18C-A1D3-4E50-8829-31423EA9F21B.jpeg

My son is looking for a towbar bike rack for 4 bikes. Does anybody know if the Thule Velospace XT3 with the 4th rail fitted still folds low enough to open the tailgate with bikes fitted?

My son is looking for a towbar bike rack for 4 bikes. Does anybody know if the Thule Velospace XT3 with the 4th rail fitted still folds low enough to open the tailgate with bikes fitted?
It does.
However it will depend on the width of the handle bars on the 4th bike.
I have no issues myself as the kids bikes are always on the 3rd & 4th rails, but if it was a large adult mtb with wide 700mm+ bars then the bar end will probably hit the ground so it may not fully drop to its maximum

It does.
However it will depend on the width of the handle bars on the 4th bike.
I have no issues myself as the kids bikes are always on the 3rd & 4th rails, but if it was a large adult mtb with wide 700mm+ bars then the bar end will probably hit the ground so it may not fully drop to its maximum
Many thanks @Catbus

So, the towbar makes a difference.
Does anybody, where the velospace xt3 fits, know the distance between the towbar and the back of his t6 ?
I would like to buy the same, but I want to make sure it actually fits and the tailgate can be opened.

So, the towbar makes a difference.
Does anybody, where the velospace xt3 fits, know the distance between the towbar and the back of his t6 ?
I would like to buy the same, but I want to make sure it actually fits and the tailgate can be opened.
Fits fine with the OEM removable towbar. Just measured the distance between the bumper and the MIDDLE of the towbar and it sits at 3"363373568_691676182975848_2054294894558871718_n.jpg

Links to the exact rack (& Box) :
https://amzn.to/434P3m8 - Rack
https://amzn.to/430d5hO - Box

Last edited:
Thank you Ianm. I have the VW fitted removable towbar. I guess I will have to find somewhere they have it ready built in stock and try it. Many thanks. Christine
I went through the same deliberations last year but can confirm that with the removable towbar there is enough clearance to open the tailgate with an xt3 and Thule soft box installed. I have a Spacemate sliding draw which can also open fully when the rack is tilted. The XT3 has two fitting positions for the arrester wire on the bottom of the rack, you simply choose the position that allows the greatest tilt.