Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice please - Which cables do we need to buy?

O

OxCal

VIP Member
Hi

Our new Cali is due within the next month and I have looked at the very helpful handover list in the download section, but have a question and hope someone can help. What is the 'Euro Cable' referred to in that document? I had the impression we needed to buy a hookup cable (25m? or Longer?) and also a converter so that we can then connect this to our domestic supply. So what is the cable that comes with the car? :help

Also, if anyone has any good tips as to best value/place for buying the hookup I would also appreciate the tip! Not that I understand what we will then be able to plug in or not in terms of devices and their power.... but I guess we will figure that out later... :?

Thanks a lot!

Definitely get a long hookup cable. 25 metres at least. Some sites have the hookup post a long way from where you pitch. Google it to get the best price.

Then get an adaptor cable, blue plug to 3pin uk, so you can charge our leisure batteries

If you are camping abroad you may need an adapter cale for a 2 pin socket ie a cable with blue plug to euro 2 pin. We used it a lot in spain.

You can then use kettle, fan heater, etc etc.

Also we bought an adapter from calikev so that we charge phones, ipad etc on the inverter socket. Invaluable.

Hope that is some use.

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful! :thanks

That just leaves one question - what is the 'euro cable' the Cali comes with on delivery?

search for Euro Cable? on the forum and there is a link (amd photo)

included in the link is a reply from
BMVS-Camper-Hire » 06 Mar 2013, 21:51

Yes, its a black lead designed for converting the standard lead(which you'll need to buy) to the older euro style 2 pin plug.

Thanks so much, Sue, much appreciated, all makes sense now!

... also worth buying a blue 16amp plug and socket and wiring them crossed as some of the euro sites have the wrong polarity (live and neutral back to front). You can then insert the crossed plug and socket in between the hookup point and your hookup cable to get it correct.

... also a polarity tester so you know when to use it.

My advice would be wait until you are taking delivery of your Cali and see what is included. Then armed with the information you have received here talk to the vendor and see if they will throw in any of the missing leads.

Thank you - it never occurred to me that the vendor might even have such things... I suppose it does not cost anything to ask! I am probably just being too impatient and want to be ready for that first trip as soon as we take delivery. In reality it will probably raining non stop again by then and be freezing out... But I am sure it won't stop us 'camping' in our driveway at least!

Really appreciate all the advice!