Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice wanted on vanning with toddlers

richv

richv

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello, Can I get some advice from experienced uk vanners. We have just moved back from Europe with our California where we were able to make extended trips with our toddlers. I am less sure how to do things in the uk. We have a three year old and 18 month old and have tended to sleep with 1 adult and 1 child upstairs and the same downstairs. Has anyone managed a system where both kids can sleep together (so mum and dad can sleep together too). We are thinking of getting a khyam drive away awning to make rain more manageable. I am also intrigued by methods of insulating the pop top. We want to camp as a family from march to Oct - any advice on systems, accessories would be really appreciated.
R

Hi mate and welcome to the club
I used to have two toddlers but unfortunately they have grown up into teenagers I did used to take them in my old t2 van
As for the Cali. Did your Cali come with the child safety net. If so it should be ok for both of them to sleep up top
I hope this helps

Will be doing our first camp soon with similar aged kids. Will start with both up top and see what happens...!

Good luck with the little'ns.
Drafts up top need stopping cos little'ns will throw off their sleepig covers invariably.
Either a Vanorak or internal insulation will do absolutely fine.
The additional waterproofign is a bonus too.
FB forum has a few long discussions on which solution is best.

We found that drive away awnings were not for us. Just a pain and invested in a standalone tent with big awning and it's perfect.
We have an extremely ugly but totally bullet proof OzTent R2

The net works well at coralling the little'ns and is easy to fasten/unfasten (for adults but not kids).

Only drawback with little'ns sleeping up top and us belowis that the top bed is so much more comfy than the bottom one :)
Even with a topper.

Good luck.
OBTW our kids are mid 30s: I'm referring to two grandkids 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 yrs (who both prefer driving the parked van rather than sleeping in it).
Nightmare