CampervanBits

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
N/A
The coffee maker of choice for Cali owners - now available in the club shop

aero-press_3.jpg

View attachment 51047
I can highly recommend them. I use a Porlex (?) coffee grinder then press the coffee through the AeroPress. The whole process takes forever, and feels perfectly un-rushed. Exactly what the Cali is about!

Had ours for years. Stainless filter makes life easier. We just get our coffee supplier to grind with the aeropress in mind.

Have used at home for years now and also have one that lives in the Cali. Makes great coffee every time, dead simple to use and also very quick/easy to clean.

Downside? No shiny chrome, pressure gauges, or other bling. Just good coffee whenever you want it.

So what grind is ideal?

I’ve experimented a fair bit and now get my beans (mostly from Starbucks) ground to a number 3 which I believe is an espresso grind. Most of the time this is perfect but grinds can vary from machine to machine, freshness of the beans, humidity etc. Occasionally an espresso grind has been a little to fine. I believe that most places know what an Aeropress is and will have a recommended grind slightly coarser than espresso grind.
a0a90d17e0de662e9de63be479ce1b10.jpg

When sailing or camping and time slows down I grind my own coffee using a Rhinowares grinder that fits perfectly inside my Aeropress. Something very therapeutic about hand grinding your own coffee.

It's also part of the fun to experiment with different beans. There are so many suppliers selling their own roasts that you can easily have a different bag each week and never repeat.

Personally my goto supplier of choice has always bean https://www.hasbean.co.uk/ again so many coffees to choose from. The service is excellent and coffee is roasted to order so very very fresh. Plus 25% off until 10th Oct i believe with MONKEYINGAROUND2019.

I'm currently drinking way too much of...

You will notice a marked improvement if you buy whole bean and grind just before brewing. Dialling in the grind is part of the fun and does vary as stated by Maverick above.

I bought a Hario mini mill for the Cali, not expensive and easy to use - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GPMH590/?tag=eliteelect-21

Hasbean, Union & Rave are my favourites. Don't buy more than you can drink in a month...

View attachment 51047
I’ve got a stainless steel cafetière or French press which keeps the coffee hot for a while. Mine makes three small cups but I drink it black, strong and sugar free.