Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

After 1st night in a Cali - a few questions !

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

We’re away in a T6 Ocean at the moment and we’ve just done our first night.

We were at The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge which had gusts of 60mph last night!! We took the roof down and battened down the hatches. My god it was windy with the van rocking!!

Anyway, a few quick questions;

We heard a noise during the night like a water dripping sound at the rear of the van where our heads were. There wasn’t any rain but our grey water was open and we had washed our hands before we went to bed. (Didn’t realise it was open until the morning!). The noise was worse when the wind was really strong. Any thoughts?

Does anyone else think that the sink bowl just gets in the way? It just doesn’t seem to be helpful when there is a plug for the bowl or am i missing the point?

What do people do for rubbish bins? We have been using just a small white pedal bin bag but it doesnt seem like it has a home anywhere!!

Apart from these are are having a great time so far :)

Hi Everyone

We’re away in a T6 Ocean at the moment and we’ve just done our first night.

We were at The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge which had gusts of 60mph last night!! We took the roof down and battened down the hatches. My god it was windy with the van rocking!!

Anyway, a few quick questions;

We heard a noise during the night like a water dripping sound at the rear of the van where our heads were. There wasn’t any rain but our grey water was open and we had washed our hands before we went to bed. (Didn’t realise it was open until the morning!). The noise was worse when the wind was really strong. Any thoughts?

Does anyone else think that the sink bowl just gets in the way? It just doesn’t seem to be helpful when there is a plug for the bowl or am i missing the point?

What do people do for rubbish bins? We have been using just a small white pedal bin bag but it doesnt seem like it has a home anywhere!!

Apart from these are are having a great time so far :)
Water tank leaking? If Drainage Tap not closed fully.
Why do people have washing bowls at home? We use the bowl for the dirty dishes to take to the campsite washing facilities.
Have a small bin from Tesco that fits between front seats when camped up. Bin liner in that. In warmer climates it’s outside.

Are you sure the dripping sound was right at the rear? My fridge sometimes makes a dripping noise.

The sink bowl is an ornament. I use a folding outwell one that is a decent size to hold the washing up in and can just be folded and thrown in the back somewhere when not in use. Mine often ends up in the wardrobe for some reason.

Rubbish bins and rubbish disposal are an art form. First job when parking up anywhere is look for rubbish disposal points if you don't want to be carting it around all the next day. Pubs (Britstops) normally have big recycling and general waste skips loitering around. Car parks normally have little square ones and are overflowing as a rule but generally a rubbish bag can be squeezed in. As for having somewhere to put it in the van, I use 30l size bags such as these ... http://www.allbio.co.uk/30-litre-biodegradable-compostable-bin-liners-100-bags/ One roll holds 25 liners and is so small as can be tucked away anywhere.

Last edited:
We only find the sink bowl useful as somewhere to put the empty glasses etc before retiring for the night. It usually gets put outside under the rear of the van until morning.

If on a campsite, it then makes a useful way to carry a few bits and pieces over to the wash-up area (can't be arsed to wash up in the van if there's hot water on tap nearby).

For rubbish, we have a small soft-sided waste bin (with compostable bag in it) that hangs over the driver's seat back when parked. But that's only because if we kept something on the floor the dog would raid it.

We use an Outwell collapsible bucket with a lid as a rubbish bin with a bag inside it. It lives outside the van on site and seems stable enough not to get blown away in the Snowdonia gales. An Outwell collapsible rectangular bowl makes a good container to take the dirty dishes, glasses, etc to the washing up area and bring them back in when clean.

Our first night last night as well. Fortunately we are on sheltered pitch at Ravenglass in Cumbria.

We are using the new Cali little bin plus kitchen bin liners for rubbish. No dripping sounds but perhaps not as windy as you.

We’ve got a Cali topper and that seems to make quite a bit of a difference. Was wet last night and didn’t keep us awake or worried about touching the sides.

Agree about the bowl, we are using a collapsible outwell bucket for taking stuff to the site washroom which is heated and has hot water.

Have fun.

If it rains the water from the roof goes to the rear and you hear a dripping noise , but you say it was not raining but be aware of this.

The fridge does make a strange noise ( as @GrannyJen says ) and can be very annoying when sleeping downstaires . Change the setting of the fridge at night so it turns on less , it's mostly colder at night and if you don't open the lid during the night it keeps it cold pretty wel.

As for the wast water drain , this must be closed at all time and only be emptyed above the special drains at campsites and not on public roads.

There's a huge tread on waste bins somewhere on the the forum , use a smal collapseble one and small plastic bags.

The plastic bowl for the sink is handy to put stuff in (used clutery , ....) and stores nice in the sink while driving so i find it a handy thing.
When camped up it sits on the driversseat (LHD witch i never turn arround) or at the drivers footwell .
Also good as drinkingbowl for the dog ....
Washing up the dishes we do in a bigger collapseble one.

A bin? This fits snug between the sink and the passenger seat.
waste-bin-t5.jpg

https://www.vwcampershop.nl/en/campercentrum-specials/533-waste-bin-t5.html

@Jabberwocky , yes but i have the Brandrup pockets on the side of the kitchen there so that bin does not fit anymore...
And most would probally find that bin way to €$£ !

We put our collapseble bin in the front footwell when parked up or my dog sticks her nose in it constantly...:D

We have the same bin as Jabberwocky ,use that for phone/iPad charging leads etc
Keep a collapsible bin on top of that .
When parked up the collapsible bin hangs off one of the front seats.
Handy when cooking & keeps the dogs out.29ADF78A-04E9-4E2E-A18A-38D38F591EAB.jpeg

@Jabberwocky , yes but i have the Brandrup pockets on the side of the kitchen there so that bin does not fit anymore...
And most would probally find that bin way to €$£ !

We put our collapseble bin in the front footwell when parked up or my dog sticks her nose in it constantly...:D
It was only an idea......and in the interests of tidiness.;)

Our washing up bowl lives in the loft. All we ever did with it was move it out of the way so we decided to remove it from the van completely. We wash up at site facilities and use a 14l flexi tub to carry our pots. This also doubles as a carrier for our extra gas bottle in the boot which is used with our Cadac stove.

We just use carrier bags for any rubbish and throw them away each day.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Handy when cooking & keeps the dogs out.

+1 for the one in Calimera's pic, that's the exact one we have.

(I thought it was a bit naff having a bin hanging from the seat but Mrs VD reassured me it's perfectly okay. So that's all good then.)

Wash up bowl outside & underneath van if on a campsite or a quite Aire.

Rubbish, a bag pushed against the back of the front tyre, why have your ‘gash’ inside with you.

We use one of those tall thin cereal plastic tubs with lid (which also has an inner floppy smaller lid) with a bin liner in and stash that behind the passenger seat. We also put Velcro on the side and Velcro on the end of the cabinet so it doesn’t keep hitting the back of the seat and annoying us when we’re driving. It’s good having the lid on it - no smells and doesn’t get dog raided.

We use one of those tall thin cereal plastic tubs with lid (which also has an inner floppy smaller lid) with a bin liner in and stash that behind the passenger seat. We also put Velcro on the side and Velcro on the end of the cabinet so it doesn’t keep hitting the back of the seat and annoying us when we’re driving. It’s good having the lid on it - no smells and doesn’t get dog raided.

Sounds like a good solution. Might try that. Our spaniel can resist everything except temptation, but a decent lid on the bin would probably do the trick.

Pic?

Filur bin from ikea fits between the sink and passenger seat. Has a good lid and costs 7.50 so not too expensive.

Filur bin from ikea fits between the sink and passenger seat. Has a good lid and costs 7.50 so not too expensive.

+1 And their Forslutas 20L bin bag fits it perfectly.

Washing up bowl and cutlery tray went into storage in the garage very soon after I bought my van.

Sounds like a good solution. Might try that. Our spaniel can resist everything except temptation, but a decent lid on the bin would probably do the trick.

Pic?

Excuse the massive bin bag - is the wrong size!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B0EF5C45-DFBF-4F6F-B2EC-3FA350ACD2B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Wash up bowl outside & underneath van if on a campsite or a quite Aire.

Rubbish, a bag pushed against the back of the front tyre, why have your ‘gash’ inside with you.

Agree .
Our bag goes under the van at the end of the day until last one out at night takes to camp bin.
Just hung on chair during the day while cooking,making drinks.

Last edited:
Handy when cooking & keeps the dogs out.View attachment 26674
Great minds think alike @Jabberwocky and @calimera
I have the camper centrum bin and it makes me smile! Also keep my chargers and plastic foldable kettle in it for travel.
Where is the hang on seat bin from?

Back