Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

After market solar panel

O

Oz548

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Our GC didn’t come with the solar collector. Ours was a demo (very significant saving made), and it tbh I just couldn’t stretch to the option when we were looking at placing an order anyhow!

So, having just done our first weekend away I definitely think having a solar panel a must on our van, alongside a towbar with electrics for bikes, but that’s another thread!!

Anyhow, having looked at the configurator earlier and noting that the GC600 runs a 104W panel as the option, I’ve found this online from my first search.

I think it’s the right sort of panel, as I’d have it mounted onto front slope of our roof.

My questions are really surrounding the impact to the warranty (4 years worth) and if it should be added after that or would VW be cool with it being added when the van is less than 12 months old?

Also, I’m unsure of where to run the cabling - ideally I’d like the cables to run onto the battery through the insulation in the kids roof, through the passengers pillar and onto the leisure batter from there. I suppose that would mean the control unit would be fitted into the same cabinet as the electrics etc; and that would involve a lay underneath the van for ease I guess!!!!

Very unsure of what the best option is - not stumped up the courage to ask if VW are able to do an after market fit themselves???? Or even if the parts could be bought.

An interesting development.
Yesterday I finally managed to get round to cleaning the outside of our GC600 (an epic in its own right!!!). Whilst on the step ladder around the front passenger quarter, I was up on the steps giving what I’ve been told was just a cosmetic black square/panel as best a clean as possible.
Looking at in the daylight, there appears to be similar solar cell like squares within the panel and also most tellingly in the top right hand corner some text with ‘SOLBIAN FLEX’ and some serial numbers.
A quick google search reveals its a maker of flexible mainly maritime solar panel/collectors!

So, it appears that I may very well have the panel fitted, but not cabled or connected up. This is intriguing as well a bit concerning.
1. I may be lucky in that the panel has been fitted and just needs the cables and control module (fingers crossed) fitted - no idea of cost and if it will invalidate warranty (don’t think so)
or
2. If that panel is fitted and the cables aren’t connected/covered, then voltage is being generated......and going where?!?!

If anyone has got the solar collector option fitted - please can you tell me if the ‘SOLBIAN FLEX’ gumf is the real McCoy or if it’s a pseudo mark or something. Please be careful on them blimmin ladders too!!!

Either way I think getting it looked at by VW is needed - only 30 mins from home for me!

Back