Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket fitting of a Detachable Tow Bar

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, has anyone recently had a detachable tow bar fitted. I've been quoted £1,200 by VW and using Westaflia in Bristol around £640.00. I am likely to be getting a like for like. In an ideal world I would have all the cabling run through the van but Westfalia are suggesting that some of it will be run underneath. VW are suggesting that some work is done in the kitchen area.

Where do you store the tow bar when not in use?

Can someone help me with making a decision which way to go.

It goes in the same place as the jack.
Can’t help with anything else sorry mines factory fitted

Hi, has anyone recently had a detachable tow bar fitted. I've been quoted £1,200 by VW and using Westaflia in Bristol around £640.00. I am likely to be getting a like for like. In an ideal world I would have all the cabling run through the van but Westfalia are suggesting that some of it will be run underneath. VW are suggesting that some work is done in the kitchen area.

Where do you store the tow bar when not in use?

Can someone help me with making a decision which way to go.
A lot more man hours involved in running the wiring loom through the vehicle if you haven't got the Towbar Prep. P.F.Jones run the wiring loom underneath and then up into the engine bay and through the bay firewall to connect up, using existing holes/grommets etc: Much easier and does the same job, AND they don't mess around with all the habitation equipment, which, to be honest, VW mechanics are not generally trained for.

A lot more man hours involved in running the wiring loom through the vehicle if you haven't got the Towbar Prep. P.F.Jones run the wiring loom underneath and then up into the engine bay and through the bay firewall to connect up, using existing holes/grommets etc: Much easier and does the same job, AND they don't mess around with all the habitation equipment, which, to be honest, VW mechanics are not generally trained for.
I took my pf Jones wiring loom up under passenger seat & under carpet to drivers side as per the instructions. Took a day to fit on my drive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Kevin, I have the towbar prep and have been quoted, if this is any help. I'm still not sure the extent of the towbar prep. The latter quote is I believe where local VW dealer outsource their towbar fitting.

"The detachable Westfalia swan-neck with Westfalia vehicle specific wiring loom supplied, fitted and Coded also including OE VW replacement inner Bumper support is £595 inc VAT. Fitting time is approximately 5 Hours."

"You would be looking at £430 for a Westfalia detachable swan neck tow bar with 7 pin (towbar prep) vehicle specific electrics. This price is inclusive of VAT, installation and vehicle coding however there might be a bumper support that may be needed which are £20 extra. However being that its a trailer prep vehicle it should be there already."

I took my pf Jones wiring loom up under passenger seat & under carpet to drivers side as per the instructions. Took a day to fit on my drive.

Hi Andy, does this mean that all the wiring is internal and that you don't do anything inthe kitchen area? Kevin

Hi Andy, does this mean that all the wiring is internal and that you don't do anything inthe kitchen area? Kevin
No pf Jones wiring loom is in a thick pvc cover & routed UNDER the van. Goes from electric socket at rear secured to where possible on underside & through a grometed hole under passenger seat. Then goes under carpet under drivers seat & up to under side of dash where it connects to several wiring plugs.
It does NOT go near kitchen.
Pf Jones have fitter network on their website if you don't want to fit yourself. Also have a very good helpline for fitting issues.