Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket headlight 'upgrade'?

Update on info I've found

Potential Issues with Xenon HID Bulbs
There are several considerations with xenon bulbs, however. The primary concern is that the brightness and focus of their beam requires custom HID self-levelling in the lamp itself. HID bulbs used in conventional headlamps could blind oncoming drivers and pose a significant safety hazard. For that reason, it is illegal in the UK to use an aftermarket HID bulb to upgrade a halogen lamp. For those that wish to upgrade to HID bulbs, it is required that they install HID-approved headlamps first.

There are two other disadvantages to xenon HID bulbs. First, they are expensive to buy, replace, and install. Second, some xenon bulbs may contain potentially toxic substances, including metal mercury. Buyers should research the bulbs they are interested in to verify how safe they are.

Update on info I've found

Potential Issues with Xenon HID Bulbs
There are several considerations with xenon bulbs, however. The primary concern is that the brightness and focus of their beam requires custom HID self-levelling in the lamp itself. HID bulbs used in conventional headlamps could blind oncoming drivers and pose a significant safety hazard. For that reason, it is illegal in the UK to use an aftermarket HID bulb to upgrade a halogen lamp. For those that wish to upgrade to HID bulbs, it is required that they install HID-approved headlamps first.

There are two other disadvantages to xenon HID bulbs. First, they are expensive to buy, replace, and install. Second, some xenon bulbs may contain potentially toxic substances, including metal mercury. Buyers should research the bulbs they are interested in to verify how safe they are.

Have you got a source for that please, or is it from 'a bloke on the internet'?

Have you got a source for that please, or is it from 'a bloke on the internet'?
As usual couldn't find exact source but strangely found this on EBAY which seems pretty unbiased and generally informative.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Car-Headlight-Buying-Guide-/10000000177321967/g.html

I personally only use Phillips or Osram Brands due to the fact that they only produce fully tested and regulation compliant products.
The way technology is progressing I'd expect LED conversions to be fully developed by this time next year.
HID seems to be yesterday's product as Car Manufacturers are now offering LED systems.
Probably T6's will have LED lights as standard by 2018. Hope I don't have to wait that long for delivery though.

Looks like the T5's with DRL using H15 bulbs are going to be niche product. An alternative route might be to modify to an H7 setup with separate LED DRL's. Glad I haven't got the problem.

I just try to give ideas/suggestions rather than 'you must or should do' answers.

If more reading wanted try
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2016-group-test

As usual couldn't find exact source but strangely found this on EBAY which seems pretty unbiased and generally informative.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Car-Headlight-Buying-Guide-/10000000177321967/g.html

I personally only use Phillips or Osram Brands due to the fact that they only produce fully tested and regulation compliant products.
The way technology is progressing I'd expect LED conversions to be fully developed by this time next year.
HID seems to be yesterday's product as Car Manufacturers are now offering LED systems.
Probably T6's will have LED lights as standard by 2018. Hope I don't have to wait that long for delivery though.

Looks like the T5's with DRL using H15 bulbs are going to be niche product. An alternative route might be to modify to an H7 setup with separate LED DRL's. Glad I haven't got the problem.

I just try to give ideas/suggestions rather than 'you must or should do' answers.
Agree, I think some of the current LED offerings are close but not perfect. Another 12 months or so and I too would expect LED replacements to be emerging as the norm. I think the H15 fitting in the T5.1 is the limiting factor. I'm changing my headlight units to something that accepts more mainstream H1 and H7 bulbs - will use Osram or Phillips performance halogens for now and will see how the LED market matures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had a look around, these seem to be about the best option at the moment.

http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-car-lamp

They have the little shields below the emmitters as per regular bulbs so there shouldn't be any glare issues. However they are still a 2D rather point light source and apparently the quality of the output is dependant on how the reflectors are designed. If the reflectors rely a lot on light from the centre axis i.e. on the axis where the emitter isn't then output is poor. Anyone fancy being the guinea pig??

Not sure about legality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Having had a look around, these seem to be about the best option at the moment.

http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-car-lamp

They have the little shields below the emmitters as per regular bulbs so there shouldn't be any glare issues. However they are still a 2D rather point light source and apparently the quality of the output is dependant on how the reflectors are designed. If the reflectors rely a lot on light from the centre axis i.e. on the axis where the emitter isn't then output is poor. Anyone fancy being the guinea pig??

Not sure about legality.

Not E marked. Therefore not legal in EU.

Not a problem if you only upgrade high beam at you won't have them on to dazzle oncoming vehicles.

Not a problem if you only upgrade high beam at you won't have them on to dazzle oncoming vehicles.
Sorry, but it is a problem as they are illegal.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/A guide to E Marking and bulb quality.pdf

Try and explain there presence to the Police or Insurance, whether used or not, if involved in a night time accident.

It is a personal decision for anyone using them as long as they are aware that they are illegal for use on any public road within the EU.:thumb

Sorry, but it is a problem as they are illegal.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/A guide to E Marking and bulb quality.pdf

Try and explain there presence to the Police or Insurance, whether used or not, if involved in a night time accident.

It is a personal decision for anyone using them as long as they are aware that they are illegal for use on any public road within the EU.:thumb
Try not to mix up all the conditions;
You can buy correctly marked lamps as they are sold for cars with xenons as standard.
MOT will test the low beam for correct alignment.
MOT will test the high beam works.
MOT will only test self levelling and washers IF fitted.

I agree it's a mine field that's why I ordered LED from the factory.

There are plenty of cars driving about with dodgy led replacements and leds in fog lights on all the time that will attract the attention of anyone looking for this, but lets face it, no one does.

EDIT: To be clear (pun intended ) I am only advocating changing the High Beam lamp of the H7 not the dipped.
New LEDs coming on the market will be the answer. Phillips are forging ahead as usual.

Last edited:
Okay, the deed is done! Swapped over my headlights for aftermarket DRL light-bar units from TravelinLite (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TravelinLite?_trksid=p2047675.l2563) - other suppliers are available. The headlights came with a set of 2 Phillips X-treme Vision 55W H1 bulbs to sit behind the main beam projector lenses and I bought a couple more for the separate high beam lenses (also H1 fittings).

In use the LED light bars come on to provide the DRL function (very bright). With side lights switched on the LED bars dim to about 50% brightness. Switch on the headlamps and you get the projector lenses (shark eyes) and the LED bars (at 50%). Flick on high beam and you get projector main beam plus high beam (reflector lenses) and LED bars (again at 50%). The units come with levelling motors and are adjusted via the stock adjuster wheel control on the dash. The beams are pre-set to RHD. The lights are E-marked and road legal.

Fitting was a pain in the backside if I'm honest. The headlight units themselves are plug and play and no wiring mods are needed. However you have to (partially) remove the front bumper in order to swap the lights over. There are a few threads on various forums that gave me the confidence to have a go myself. All told it probably took about 2 hours with only a few basic tools (Torx driver set and a 10mm socket, ideally with a universal joint on your ratchet extension bar to provide better access to the nuts that hold the bumpers to the front wings). Knowing how to do it, I could probably do the job again in under an hour. I'll write up some instructions if anyone is interested?

Net result - about £400 poorer, but the lights look great and put out a lot more light. Also standard H1 fittings on both main and high beams gives more options when LED upgrades become available. TravelinLite said they'd tried HID conversions with these headlight units but they didn't work well with the projector lenses.

WP_20161220_15_26_23_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20161220_15_26_31_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20161220_15_27_01_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20161220_15_27_15_Pro[1].jpg

Only one question, does the DRL go out when the indicator is on? On the relevant side only that is.

I only ask as I met a car yesterday that appeared to have aftermarket DRL's fitted I couldn't see his indicator flashing until he was about 10 yards away. This got the thick grey matter churning and recalled some mention of this aspect. Had an internet search and found an AA item.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/daytime-running-lights

Only one question, does the DRL go out when the indicator is on? On the relevant side only that is.

I only ask as I met a car yesterday that appeared to have aftermarket DRL's fitted I couldn't see his indicator flashing until he was about 10 yards away. This got the thick grey matter churning and recalled some mention of this aspect. Had an internet search and found an AA item.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/daytime-running-lights
The DRLs on these unit do not dim with the indicators, although I have seen some on the market that do. Can only assume they were deemed distinct enough to get the relevant safety markings, but the proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, the deed is done! Swapped over my headlights for aftermarket DRL light-bar units from TravelinLite (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TravelinLite?_trksid=p2047675.l2563) - other suppliers are available. The headlights came with a set of 2 Phillips X-treme Vision 55W H1 bulbs to sit behind the main beam projector lenses and I bought a couple more for the separate high beam lenses (also H1 fittings).

In use the LED light bars come on to provide the DRL function (very bright). With side lights switched on the LED bars dim to about 50% brightness. Switch on the headlamps and you get the projector lenses (shark eyes) and the LED bars (at 50%). Flick on high beam and you get projector main beam plus high beam (reflector lenses) and LED bars (again at 50%). The units come with levelling motors and are adjusted via the stock adjuster wheel control on the dash. The beams are pre-set to RHD. The lights are E-marked and road legal.

Fitting was a pain in the backside if I'm honest. The headlight units themselves are plug and play and no wiring mods are needed. However you have to (partially) remove the front bumper in order to swap the lights over. There are a few threads on various forums that gave me the confidence to have a go myself. All told it probably took about 2 hours with only a few basic tools (Torx driver set and a 10mm socket, ideally with a universal joint on your ratchet extension bar to provide better access to the nuts that hold the bumpers to the front wings). Knowing how to do it, I could probably do the job again in under an hour. I'll write up some instructions if anyone is interested?

Net result - about £400 poorer, but the lights look great and put out a lot more light. Also standard H1 fittings on both main and high beams gives more options when LED upgrades become available. TravelinLite said they'd tried HID conversions with these headlight units but they didn't work well with the projector lenses.

View attachment 18165

View attachment 18166

View attachment 18167

View attachment 18168
They look very smart. Any chance of some beam shots?

I would be interested in some instructions if you can find the time to write them up thanks :)

I know travelinlite are also working on similar lights for the T6

I've been lusting over those headlights with the square DRL for a while,i love the them, really nice look!

I would be interested in some instructions if you can find the time to write them up thanks :)

I know travelinlite are also working on similar lights for the T6

Probably need to put his in the download section (when I work out how to), but for now see attached.

Attachments

• Headlamp Replacement.pdf
    219.1 KB · Views: 70
Resurrecting this thread as it’s very relevant to my current situation and actually has a positive outcome, even if Richard had to answer his own original question!

Current work van is a 2015 T5, headlight improvements are limited to bulb upgrades so it uses Osram Nightbreaket H4’s (good balance of light output and lifespan) and Halfords LED side and DRL bulbs (Trade card discount, lifetime warranty, improved light output and good, white colour). Overall a reasonable improvement that I like to look of for modest outlay.

Next week I collect my own T5 California Beach. Few things planned for it but including headlight changes. It has standard single reflector H4’s so although I could just copy my work van I’d prefer something different. Initial thoughts were OE twin reflector units, useful light improvement but not a huge visual change and not keen on the H15 DRL bulbs. Until now aftermarket options have seemed expensive for an unknown gain in light output despite their visual appeal. Seeing a positive and constructive review may sway me towards this option, just need to come to terms with the additional cost!

One question, a year on are they wearing well?

Resurrecting this thread as it’s very relevant to my current situation and actually has a positive outcome, even if Richard had to answer his own original question!

Current work van is a 2015 T5, headlight improvements are limited to bulb upgrades so it uses Osram Nightbreaket H4’s (good balance of light output and lifespan) and Halfords LED side and DRL bulbs (Trade card discount, lifetime warranty, improved light output and good, white colour). Overall a reasonable improvement that I like to look of for modest outlay.

Next week I collect my own T5 California Beach. Few things planned for it but including headlight changes. It has standard single reflector H4’s so although I could just copy my work van I’d prefer something different. Initial thoughts were OE twin reflector units, useful light improvement but not a huge visual change and not keen on the H15 DRL bulbs. Until now aftermarket options have seemed expensive for an unknown gain in light output despite their visual appeal. Seeing a positive and constructive review may sway me towards this option, just need to come to terms with the additional cost!

One question, a year on are they wearing well?
Yes, they still look great and so much better than the factory units. The low beam units are projectors and do throw out a rather odd beam pattern - inverted semi circle. But they do the job, illuminating far more at the margins, and don’t seem to attract unwanted attention from other road users.

I’d definitely go down this route again and it can’t be long before aftermarket LED units start to appear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Richard I know it’s been a long time but did you get a pic of the beam pattern many thanks paul