Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Bag Alert turning on ignition

Corgimajor

Corgimajor

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All, I've read several previous posts related to Air Bag warnings on earlier California models (T5, T6), however I've recently experienced similar alert on my T 6.1 ( delivered in late Oct 2022) and wondered whether the possible causes of earlier posts (related to passenger swivel seat and cable / connection strains) could still be the issue? I would have anticipated VW designing out any earlier problems with this particular wiring, but perhaps not? Any guidance gratefully received. I've got van booked in for investigation into this issue in Jan 2023.

Hi All, I've read several previous posts related to Air Bag warnings on earlier California models (T5, T6), however I've recently experienced similar alert on my T 6.1 ( delivered in late Oct 2022) and wondered whether the possible causes of earlier posts (related to passenger swivel seat and cable / connection strains) could still be the issue? I would have anticipated VW designing out any earlier problems with this particular wiring, but perhaps not? Any guidance gratefully received. I've got van booked in for investigation into this issue in Jan 2023.
You’re the first Post relating to an Air Bag alert I’ve seen regarding a T6.1.
I suppose a wiring loom could be mis-routed under a swivel seat but more likely a faulty component.
NB, if the air bag light is on then all air bags have been disabled
If you don’t plan on driving except to your garage appointment then fine.

If you are planning on using it, personally I would call out VW Assistance, run by the AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They are equipped to carry out a very significant number of road side repairs and also have priority access to the Dealership and Spares systems.

Good advice, thank you.
You’re the first Post relating to an Air Bag alert I’ve seen regarding a T6.1.
I suppose a wiring loom could be mis-routed under a swivel seat but more likely a faulty component.
NB, if the air bag light is on then all air bags have been disabled
If you don’t plan on driving except to your garage appointment then fine.

If you are planning on using it, personally I would call out VW Assistance, run by the AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They are equipped to carry out a very significant number of road side repairs and also have priority access to the Dealership and Spares systems.

Following call to VW AA breakdown assistance (I requested a VW Technician) I got a technician who ran a full diagnostic test and discovered the fault in the drivers seat seat belt latch (fault ref B101C29 if you're interested!) which meant the seat belt latch was not sending a connection signal to the Airbag/Seatbelt tensioner control system - thereby causing the system to become disabled and prompting the alert signal. The technician said he inspected the connection of the associated cabling and multi-plug to the wiring loom beneath the seat. A combination of ensuring the multi-plug was firmly connected and releasing what he could of the "spare" wiring connecting the seat belt latch to the multi-plug has resolved the problem and following multiple testing signed off the vehicle as repaired. We've swivelled the drivers seat probably about 6 times since taking ownership of the vehicle. The technician said if it faults again it will have to be resolved under warranty with a VWVC inspection - as access to the base of the seat belt latch and wiring for further inspection can only be done in a workshop given the more involved task of removing the driver seat trim and associated driver seat swivel mechanisms. I will update this thread if we get any further issues, but it would seem the VW swivel seat wiring gremlins haven't been removed from the T6.1. NB. 10/10 to VW's AA roadside assistance - very efficient service and very knowledgeable VW technicians.

Back