Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Bags

mountainman

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This is now the 3rd time I have an air-bag warning light on my 2012 SE 180 Berghaus edition van. I'm not sure if I needed to start a new thread, but I couldn't fine 'Air Bag' on searching the forum. It appears that the swivelling seats are blamed for this happening so I am assuming that the warning light refers to the passenger seat air-bag, again! On this last trip, I have only swivelled the passenger seat. On the last occasion I believe I was charged some £80 for diagnosis and resetting the warning light. As far as I can tell nothing was actually found to be at fault or even rectified. I have looked at the wiring beneath the seat and can see nothing obvious that may cause a problem. There are no loose plugs or tight wiring.

It seems to me that this is a design fault and I do not see why I should be paying ca £80 a shot to have this warning light reset. I plan to approach the garage and request that I get this reset FOC and an explanation as to when I can expect to have the design problem rectified.

Any other experiene, thoughts?

There are similar issues with the Touareg seats that dont swivel, their issue is caused by the age of the seat and as the foam starts to sag on the seat base it starts to stretch the cable that goes underneath to the seatbelt pretensioner and/or side airbag.
The cure is to have the cable lengthened a bit.

We had this issue on our 2012 se reset a couple of times on the 3rd time they said there was an issue as Loz posted with the seatbelt pretensioner and/or side airbag. They reset it again and it remained off until part swoped - lucky ours was all under warranty.

Apart from the warning light being on, does it cause the airbag(s) to not trigger in the event of an accident?

Mine is lit, for the stupid reason that I forgot to follow the good advice given on this site, namely not to switch the ignition on with the dash out when changing the stereo.

I just thought I'd live with it until the next service...but is it actually a safety issue??

Back