Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air beams vs frames?

Alibee

Alibee

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Evening all,

Just in the process of narrowing down our awning choice and am suddenly wavering on my earlier decision to go for a new air beam style system. There have been quite a few well-publicised 'drooping' issues, seemingly with all manufacturers, and the costs are (generally) more than double the cost of their framed equivalents. There's also the prospect of lugging around the pump too, but hoping that might be replaced by a 12v pump.

The awnings I'm considering are;
  1. Outwell Atlantic Road SA
  2. Outwell Country Road SA
  3. Vango Cruz Low
  4. Outwell Country Road
As you can see, I'm pretty keen on Outwell (good experience with our T4) but would consider another manufacturer with a good track record. The Vango Cruz is lighter and cheaper than the Outwell SAs, and many on here seem happy with Vango gear.

Any an all opinions welcome!

Cheers.

Sorry can't comment on reliability as I'm still shopping too - hoping to make a final choice and purchase at the NEC show next month.

All I'd say is give Outdoor Revolution a look. They have some really varied and interesting products, lifetime warranty on elements of the air beam and I was thoroughly impressed by their product knowledge and enthusiasm at the last NEC show in October before my Cali arrived. I'm waiting for 2017 models to become available but almost certain to be buying from them.

+1 for Outdoor revolution, we had one of their frame awnings a few years back and their customer care is excellent as we had a pole get damaged (totally our fault) we called them to buy a replacement and they sent is one free of charge.
We are now looking to change for an air awning this year, I would have a peek at the ones in the club shop as prices look quite good on first glance, may even be worth me upgrading to a VIP finally

I have had both. Many with frames and two with air beams. There is no way I would ever go back to a frame again. The pump is small but the tent and bag are usually larger with air beams but you can put it up by yourself rather than needing help. That alone is worth it for me.

Like you I am a big fan of Outwell and it's always been my preference. They have good options for connecting to the van and the quality is second to none. But guess that's why they have the premium price tag. :)

Thanks all.

I have a friend with a Movelite 2 so will borrow it off him for a test before plumping for Outwell. Looks like the aim beam is the way forward, now just need to decide how much space we need vs weight + lost storage space. :)