Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air con Aircon Air Conditioning cold drivers side but not passengers side?

Paul_W

Paul_W

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Posting as I can’t find a specific answer to this question anywhere.

We are now living with our Cali as our day to day vehicle following selling our car last week. Today my wife was driving so I was fiddling around in the passenger seat The sun came out, I turned the air con on, it’s the 3 zone climatronic type. Noticed the air blowing out passengers side was just ambient temp but nice cold air blowing on the drivers side. Reset all the settings on the climatronic so temp was supposed to be mirrored in all zones but still cold in drivers zone and ambiant passengers zone.

Has anyone else experienced this, any ideas why or how to fix?

Also noticed when the air con is switched on it’s damn noisy, all sorts of gas and compressor type noises, is this normal.

Also noticed a good deal of water being discharged under the engine bay, towards the rear of the bay towards the passenger wheel. Just seems like condensation from the air con unit but again is this normal?

Any advice greatly appreciated. And as we’re new if anyone can recommend a decent garage near M33 area that would be great.

Thanks.

Posting as I can’t find a specific answer to this question anywhere.

We are now living with our Cali as our day to day vehicle following selling our car last week. Today my wife was driving so I was fiddling around in the passenger seat The sun came out, I turned the air con on, it’s the 3 zone climatronic type. Noticed the air blowing out passengers side was just ambient temp but nice cold air blowing on the drivers side. Reset all the settings on the climatronic so temp was supposed to be mirrored in all zones but still cold in drivers zone and ambiant passengers zone.

Has anyone else experienced this, any ideas why or how to fix?

Also noticed when the air con is switched on it’s damn noisy, all sorts of gas and compressor type noises, is this normal.

Also noticed a good deal of water being discharged under the engine bay, towards the rear of the bay towards the passenger wheel. Just seems like condensation from the air con unit but again is this normal?

Any advice greatly appreciated. And as we’re new if anyone can recommend a decent garage near M33 area that would be great.

Thanks.
Condensation draining out is normal.
Then was the AirCon service/re-charged?
If it's working OK in the back and on the Drivers side then probably down to the Flap control mechanism failing on the Passenger side.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...820/subcategory/820002/part_id/3706182/lang/e

Condensation draining out is normal.
Then was the AirCon service/re-charged?
If it's working OK in the back and on the Drivers side then probably down to the Flap control mechanism failing on the Passenger side.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...820/subcategory/820002/part_id/3706182/lang/e

Thanks WelshGas, not sure when Aircon was last recharged, we’ve only had the van 3 weeks. If has a full main dealer service record so assume Aircon recharge would have been taken care of during service?

I’m guessing as it’s working fine drivers side(not checked the back) the gas is fine or it wouldn’t work at all...

Cheers.

Thanks WelshGas, not sure when Aircon was last recharged, we’ve only had the van 3 weeks. If has a full main dealer service record so assume Aircon recharge would have been taken care of during service?

I’m guessing as it’s working fine drivers side(not checked the back) the gas is fine or it wouldn’t work at all...

Cheers.
Plugging into a Diagnostic computer might show some Error codes that will indicate what the problem is, probably a Sensor or Flap Servo Motor as @Loz has said.

If you turn the temperature on the passenger side to a hotter than ambient setting does it blow hot?

If you turn the temperature on the passenger side to a hotter than ambient setting does it blow hot?

I’m pretty sure it does, I’ll have to have another play when I get out for a run, Wednesday probably I’ll report back and see what’s going on in the back as well.
Cheers.

Plugging into a Diagnostic computer might show some Error codes that will indicate what the problem is, probably a Sensor or Flap Servo Motor as @Loz has said.

Ran diagnostics using Carista and get the following error reported.

VAG fault code 9481988 Air quality sensor - internal system fault.

Seems the sensor is something to do with air quality auto sensing to auto recirculate internal air if exterior air quality is poor. Not sure that will impact the lack of cool air on the passenger side. It does work in the back just fine. Tested today.

Seems the sensor is easy to replace so might price one up anyway.

Hi @Paul_W can I ask what age California you have ? i have had a couple of T6 with this problem it’s one of three faults either a servo flap motor as Loz says, a failed temperature sensor or in one case I’ve had a miss wired control unit from factory which took a while to manifest a problem.

Hi @Paul_W can I ask what age California you have ? i have had a couple of T6 with this problem it’s one of three faults either a servo flap motor as Loz says, a failed temperature sensor or in one case I’ve had a miss wired control unit from factory which took a while to manifest a problem.

Hi, it’s a 2012 SE 180 BiTdi. Cheers.

So nothing to do with the air quality sensor that’s reporting the error then?

The air quality sensor is actually quite common for failing its job is to activate the air recirculation flap if the outside air quality is poor, however this will have no bearing on your temp difference between the two sides of the vehicle. If you have an issue with the air quality sensor it will need replacing along with the connector plug and wiring as they normally melt together when failure occurs. But you will also need your second fails diagnosing do you have access to diag equipment?

Similar issue on a 18 reg t6 it’s going back for repair this week

The air quality sensor is actually quite common for failing its job is to activate the air recirculation flap if the outside air quality is poor, however this will have no bearing on your temp difference between the two sides of the vehicle. If you have an issue with the air quality sensor it will need replacing along with the connector plug and wiring as they normally melt together when failure occurs. But you will also need your second fails diagnosing do you have access to diag equipment?

I do have diagnostics adapter and software but that is the only error code, apart from the Aux in socket that also shows faulty.

I do have diagnostics adapter and software but that is the only error code, apart from the Aux in socket that also shows faulty.

Are you able to look at live data ? If so then compare the values for the footwell vent temp sensors left and right the vent temp sensors left and right. Get the engine up to running temp, sync the two sides to the same temp and compare,If one of then is an odd reading e.g you have 20 degrees one side and 65 the other or you have a reading of 86 degrees then you have a sensor gone down. Foot well ones are easy to change dash vents may need the dashboard to come out.

Are you able to look at live data ? If so then compare the values for the footwell vent temp sensors left and right the vent temp sensors left and right. Get the engine up to running temp, sync the two sides to the same temp and compare,If one of then is an odd reading e.g you have 20 degrees one side and 65 the other or you have a reading of 86 degrees then you have a sensor gone down. Foot well ones are easy to change dash vents may need the dashboard to come out.

Don’t think I can, it’s a Carista dongle with the IOS application. So you can do lots of customisation and run full diagnostic scans, reset and clear codes. But don’t see that you can dig any deeper into the sitcom systems. There are other apps available that seem to have more live data available. But not sure with those you can dig much deeper. Maybe need to have access to the full VW diags do do this

Don’t think I can, it’s a Carista dongle with the IOS application. So you can do lots of customisation and run full diagnostic scans, reset and clear codes. But don’t see that you can dig any deeper into the sitcom systems. There are other apps available that seem to have more live data available. But not sure with those you can dig much deeper. Maybe need to have access to the full VW diags do do this

Or vcds some of the time that’s actually better than the full vw system as it’s not as locked down

Hi, did you ever get this fixed as I had similar issues today, drivers side cold but passenger side hot/ambient out of all vents. @VW Guru is this expensive to fix via VW?

Hi there has been a software fix released by vw in the past few weeks for all aT6 derived vehicles. I’ve updated a few and it seems to work

Hi there has been a software fix released by vw in the past few weeks for all aT6 derived vehicles. I’ve updated a few and it seems to work
Any updates for the T5 as mine is an SE 2010 4Motion with climatic control?

Any updates for the T5 as mine is an SE 2010 4Motion with climatic control?
Hi there were updates around 2014/15 for the T5gp what issues are you having ?

Hi, did you ever get this fixed as I had similar issues today, drivers side cold but passenger side hot/ambient out of all vents. @VW Guru is this expensive to fix via VW?

The dealer did resolve ( after a couple of attempts) they told me they replaced a motor which I assume is temperature servo,
Apparently it was a dash out job much to my disappointment but to be fair I can’t see that it’s been out so either they’ve done a really good job or as vwguru says they came up with another fix
All is working well now with the climate control prior to that it just had a mind of its own blowing hot or cold left or right they tried replacing dials and sensors to no avail even told me another one of there new vehicles benchmarked behaved the same so it took a few conversations but they persevered and came good

Hi there were updates around 2014/15 for the T5gp what issues are you having ?
Hi, the passenger side doesn't get cold with the aircon on, just ambient temperature but the drivers side is fine. If I turn up the temperature to High then both sides get hot OK. When I turn the aircon on or off I get a hissing/breathing sound from the aircon. It was regassed about 3 weeks ago and all was fine until today.

The dealer did resolve ( after a couple of attempts) they told me they replaced a motor which I assume is temperature servo,
Apparently it was a dash out job much to my disappointment but to be fair I can’t see that it’s been out so either they’ve done a really good job or as vwguru says they came up with another fix
All is working well now with the climate control prior to that it just had a mind of its own blowing hot or cold left or right they tried replacing dials and sensors to no avail even told me another one of there new vehicles benchmarked behaved the same so it took a few conversations but they persevered and came good
Thanks for the reply, what sort of cost was it :(