Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Con --help !

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

My Cali air con was not running that cold so I decided to take it in to have the air con checked and regassed.
This was done at a local ATS franchise.
After having the job done I only noticed a very marginal difference in the coldness.
My other daily drive ( Skoda Yeti ) has air con so cold it makes your hands cold on the steering wheel if left on.
The Cali after regassing is nowhere near as cold/good.

Is this what everyone else thinks is normal for the Cali. ie : the air con is not so good.
I have manual controls not the climate controls.

Please excuse my ignorance but I also have some sort of air control at the rear high adjacent to the rear sliding seat above the rear window ( driver side )
Not sure if this is part of the air con for the rear or just part of the overnight heater system ?

With the air con on full ,engine running, the rear air control on cold and highest speed setting seems only to be blowing ambient temperature air...is this normal or should it be blowing cold air as well ?
The air coming out of the front is chilled but not cold.

I can go back to ATS but need to know my facts first as they will be even more unfamiliar with the Cali set up as I am.

Thanks

It will be dependent on which setup you have, what control panel do you have? A photo may narrow it down.

My rear does not have AC only the fan and heating control for example.

The A/C in the van does have to work harder to cool a larger space like a van but I find it pretty cold when needed.

You don't say what or how old your Cali IS?

Aircon does not need regassing unless it actually has a leak, if it has a leak it needs fixing before regassing... any company who just offers to regass without investigation is just ripping you off.

The unit at the rear if you have rear climatronic should also be able to product cold air as it has a second evaporator in the rear but both are supplied from the Single condenser and pump on the engine.

Hi Matt
Thanks for the reply.I'm not sure how to add photos.

Hi,

My Cali air con was not running that cold so I decided to take it in to have the air con checked and regassed.
After having the job done I only noticed a very marginal difference in the coldness.
My other daily drive ( Skoda Yeti ) has air con so cold it makes your hands cold on the steering wheel if left on.

Is this what everyone else thinks is normal for the Cali. ie : the air con is not so good.

Please excuse my ignorance but I also have some sort of air control at the rear high adjacent to the rear sliding seat above the rear window ( driver side )
Not sure if this is part of the air con for the rear or just part of the overnight heater system ?

With the air con on full ,engine running, the rear air control on cold and highest speed setting seems only to be blowing ambient temperature air...is this normal or should it be blowing cold air as well ?

I can go back to ATS but need to know my facts first as they will be even more unfamiliar with the Cali set up as I am.

Thanks
I had my Volvo re-gassed at ATS a few years ago, worked for precisely 2 minutes until all the refrigerant vanished through the hole in the evaporator they failed to detect.

Hi Thanks again
My Cali is 2007 model SE
ATS said they would test the system for leaks by pressure testing before regassing.
They did not report any problems with leaks.
I will try to post photos of my set up once I learn how to add photos ! :)
Thanks

You dont pressure test, you vacuum test. plus if a leak is suspected they can add dye and look for escapes if that is suspected.

Hi Thanks again
My Cali is 2007 model SE
ATS said they would test the system for leaks by pressure testing before regassing.
They did not report any problems with leaks.
I will try to post photos of my set up once I learn how to add photos ! :)
Thanks
Funnily enough they said exactly the same to me!

Hi,

Thanks
If you do not have the 3 Zone Climatronic Air Con, which according to your statement above you do not, then you only have AirCon to the front, NOT the Rear. In the Rear you have Heated or Ambient air only.
The Rear panel is nothing to do with the Overnight Parking Heater. A fan draws in air from a vent in the boot, on the R side, and blows it out through the vents. It can also heat this air if the engine temperature is up to normal, BUT it cannot chill the air.
If you have the Climatronic, 3 Zone system, then you also have an AirCon heat exchanger in the rear as well which cools and drys the air as well.

Hi Welshgas
Thanks very much.That's exactly what I wanted to know.
I can now go back to ATS to ask them to look at it again.

As a side line....can you point me to some instructions how to post photos ?

Thanks

IMG_6653.JPG IMG_6654.JPG

Hi Welshgas ---found out how to load pics.:)
These should confirm your observations ?
Thanks

@dfps , when you get a minute, update your profile to show your vehicle type and age, so it's easier for others to offer help. (under 'personal details')