Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air rush noise LHS of brand new Ocean. Dealer struggling!

Minty

Minty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I took delivery of a LHD Ocean a couple of weeks ago and was saddened when I reached 90kph (56mph) when a slight air rush noise appeared over my left shoulder, B pillar region. With further speed increase it stays the same. On the RHS side of the vehicle it is silent, even though that’s where the awning is.

The dealer had it for a day, test driving 100km, and was unable to locate what was responsible despite taping up every gap and indent, as well as adjusting the door catch to as tight as possible. All seals look as expected for a brand new vehicle.

They are in contact further up the VW chain but are also keen to know if I can come up with anything from other California users.

Any help very much appreciated.

Hi Minty,

sounds like your having a nightmare with awning legs and rushing wind.

if it helps, post some pictures of the van door from outside, then some of the rubber seals all around the door shuts( top, bottom, both sides and the arch) then some the the door frame, there are seals on both parts, the door and body)

we can take a look and comment accordingly if anything looks a miss

have you checked the sliding window in the rear is fully closed and both “wing“ clips are perfectly flush ? Open the window fully and re close the window checking the closure and seal of the sliding window, I have had very similar when my kids have not closed the sliding window correctly, despite it looking like it’s closed fully

It would be Nice to see some photos of your van also

Have you got a plug in the sink & drain valve shut?

Are you 100% sure the roof is completely shut tight on that side?

My old van always sounded like there was a back window on that side open a mm or 2 was always worse without the sink plug in.

Hi Minty,

if it helps, post some pictures of the van door from outside, then some of the rubber seals all around the door shuts( top, bottom, both sides and the arch) then some the the door frame, there are seals on both parts, the door and body)

we can take a look and comment accordingly if anything looks a miss

have you checked the sliding window in the rear is fully closed and both “wing“ clips are perfectly flush ? Open the window fully and re close the window checking the closure and seal of the sliding window, I have had very similar when my kids have not closed the sliding window correctly, despite it looking like it’s closed fully
Thanks again for your inputs! The seals certainly look like those on the other side, and the side window was checked first. I’ll have another look on Monday. The noise feels like above and just behind my shoulder, and could be the egress of air entering anywhere further forward. The dealer will take another look in a week and a half but that does’t necessarily mean success of course!

Have you tried playing with the aircon/ventilation control? Just in case it’s airflow in the ducting? A long shot!

Get someone to sit in the back as sound can travel and be elusive. Check your under tray. They can be jarred loose or bent by large puddles at speed.

Hi Minty,

The awning is on the opposite side so can't be the legs in the cassette. I'm wondering if the OP has an optional awning track installed.
Also check the seals around the drivers side window and that the glass is sealing correctly in the frame.

Roof channel for roof rack and front plastic mouldings?

When my Cali was brand new, we left for a first trip. As soon as I arrived at 100 km / h I heard a noise which let me believe that the roof was not closed, which was not the case. We looked everywhere.
Finally it was the internal lining of the poorly attached wheel arch, which rubbed on the wheel from a certain speed.
Look there, I think others have had the same problem.
Was replaced under warranty.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Lots to try out above 90kph! The dealer’s mechanic say they taped over every rail, gap and indent in the vicinity of the left door and could not isolate it. I’ll be talking to them again next week. The wheel arch suggestion sounds interesting....

Back