Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AIR-SAFE / AIR-VENT tailgate hooks

We've got one of Brandrup air thingies that we have used a few times whilst abroad which works fine with the power latching. Never had to use it in the UK:(

I have a home made one for the dogs on my current Caravelle - a bar bent round at both ends so, once latched and locked you can't get in, but this is manual locking, so don't know whether it will work with power latching when we get the new Beach - thanks for pointing that out Calikev.

I have the Brandrup air-safe, bought it from eBay of seller breezepoole it was a few quid more than direct from brandrup but it arrived in two days, it might have taken rather longer to come from elsewhere. We used it in the lake district during half term, there were a couple of nights when it was really warm and the air-safe helped a lot. It also works perfectly with the auto latch tailgate.

I also got a Brandrup one , works fine used it a lot .
Had two times problems it not catched correct and the booth locked itself while it was open....not a plesant thing but playing with the central locking released it in the end.
Once you get the trick on how to put it in it's very handy.
Gives good ventilation , no water coming in if it should rain ( not used it it heavy rain/wind)
And perfect safe , all doors locked

Got the Brandrup from new but rarely used because when it's warm there are also mozzies around, so in my mind really needs to be used with a mozzie net. Anyone any other thoughts on this?

We sleep with our heads at the door end and Don't think I'd like the draught - do others sleep the other way round?

I also got a Brandrup one , works fine used it a lot .
Had two times problems it not catched correct and the booth locked itself while it was open....not a plesant thing but playing with the central locking released it in the end.
Once you get the trick on how to put it in it's very handy.
Gives good ventilation , no water coming in if it should rain ( not used it it heavy rain/wind)
And perfect safe , all doors locked

I have just received my Brandrup air lock through the post but the instructions for use are poor. Are you able to give me some tips on how to fit it please?

I have just received my Brandrup air lock through the post but the instructions for use are poor. Are you able to give me some tips on how to fit it please?
There is definitely a knack to it which takes a bit of practice, fit the air hook as per the attached photo, mine seems to latch first time if the hook is at about 11 o'clock rather than 12 o'clock (if that makes sense) and the key part is to lower the tailgate slowly with the handle pressed in. A second person can If needed look from the side and let you know when the tailgate is close to the hook. You should hear a click (Release the handle) and then a whir. Practice a few times and reset the hook if needed.

image.jpg

Last edited:

The end with the "small" bend you put in the receving end on the floor.
Then you close the booth almost , just so you can reach to take the airlock and place the end with the "biggest " bend gently in the reciving end on the door ,
then just close the booth until it electronic connects like normal closure.
You can now lock the Cali with the remote fob , there is now way you can open the booth....locked as normal.

You just have to try it a few times .
The only thing that can go wrong ....actually two things ever went wrong on mine,
While putting it in and fail , the lock on the boothdoor can close while not in the reciving end....pain in the @ass !
The lock will thinks it's ok but the door is open , slamming the boothdoor close is the thing you DON'T do !..
To solve it you need to push the remote or the knob on the driverseat while trying to release the lock by hand.

The second thing that went wrong on mine was i opend the door having the air lock in .
Took things out the booth and slamed it close not thinking the air lock was still in !
Resulting in a small dent on the inner side on the boothdoor.

@JohnnyP , there is no need for a second person ...you just need to "feel" .

@GillianC , and others...

Been filming again...:D

I use it very frequent .
As you can see , drilled a small hole in it and attached a fluo-cord on it , as i mentiont above had it in once and slammed the door ....a dent on the inside of the tailgate ( non visible from the outside) .
The fluo thing helps to make it more noticeble .

Last edited:
@GillianC , and others...

Been filming again...:D

I use it very frequent when .
As you can see , drilled a small hole in it and attached a fluo-cord on it , as i mentiont above had it in once and slammed the door ....a dent on the inside of the boothdoor ( non visible from the outside) .
The fluo thing helps to make it more noticeble it's in .....also for those not used to like kids ( not that we got kids) or the mrs.( got one of those...;))

Great short film! Thank you!

Thanks guys...
Makes a lot more sense. Will give it a try

I have the Brandrup air-safe, bought it from eBay of seller breezepoole it was a few quid more than direct from brandrup but it arrived in two days, it might have taken rather longer to come from elsewhere. We used it in the lake district during half term, there were a couple of nights when it was really warm and the air-safe helped a lot. It also works perfectly with the auto latch tailgate.
How do you put it in please

Tiny piece of simple metal at an exorbitant price for what it is. I‘m picking one up on Friday as i found a dealer that has it in stock. I need it in winter in order to be able to charge the leisure batteries

Tiny piece of simple metal at an exorbitant price for what it is. I‘m picking one up on Friday as i found a dealer that has it in stock. I need it in winter in order to be able to charge the leisure batteries
Why? Doesn’t your Mains Charger work?

Why? Doesn’t your Mains Charger work?
It does. The problem I have my van is parked in a private parking lot with no power outlets. I have built a couple of years ago a „power station“, basically a 120ah battery hooked up to a pure sine inverter. To top up the leisure batteries I place the battery+inverter in the boot and plug in the cable that goes to the power hook up at the external rear end of the Cali. So with the air safe i can lock the boot with the cable protruding out . I know, there are more efficient ways to charge the batteries rather than going 12v to 240v and back to 12v , but it‘s a new van under warranty and I don‘t want to mess with it.
And it‘s plenty of fun lifting a 120ah+ inverter into the boot...:confused:

It does. The problem I have my van is parked in a private parking lot with no power outlets. I have built a couple of years ago a „power station“, basically a 120ah battery hooked up to a pure sine inverter. To top up the leisure batteries I place the battery+inverter in the boot and plug in the cable that goes to the power hook up at the external rear end of the Cali. So with the air safe i can lock the boot with the cable protruding out . I know, there are more efficient ways to charge the batteries rather than going 12v to 240v and back to 12v , but it‘s a new van under warranty and I don‘t want to mess with it.
And it‘s plenty of fun lifting a 120ah+ inverter into the boot...:confused:

Tell me more.....I have the same issue. What should i do? I don’t have access to a mains hook up and the leisure battery is fixed in a steel cage on underside of the camper. I have a blue mains socket on back of van for charging. Can I get something on market same as what you got for charging it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back