Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air suspension

capt kirk

capt kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone
Does anyone have any experience of air suspension failures. Im trying to find out how reliable it is before i consider taking the plunge. Preferably on a t6 but any stories of horrors or successes would be welcome ideally length of use before service or breakdown.

Thanks guys and gals

Kirk out

My last 2013 A8 had air suspension on it and did 98k with no problems to date when I sold it. Unsure if that helps or is relevant.
VAG vehicle though :)

VB Full Air since 2013. 125.000 km's, now. Lots of off-roading (Icelandic Highlands, Pyrenees, West Alps, other places in Scandinavia). No service, other than washing off the dirt every now and then, no breakdowns till now.

Just the sort of info i need. Do you know if it was factory fitted or aftermarket.
Factory - standard on all A8s
I think the VW Pheaton runs the same platform so basically the same car.
I've had a quick look on line and they aren't without their problems.
For more info try this:

Looks amazing, proper bling treat for your Cali

when and if ill let you all know how it goes.
Is that the air suspension that can also auto level itself, go lower (to get under barriers) and go higher to increase ground clearance.

If you don't.mind.me asking, how.much is it costing?

Looks amazing, proper bling treat for your Cali
Yes, it is! Although there can be more prosaic reasons than ‘bling’ for it: we wanted more bottom clearance, but with a permanent raise and the solar panel on top we wouldn’t fit in our parking garage anymore... That’s why we looked at air suspension, because it would allow us to lower the Cali when needed as well as raise it when needed. The rest (all the other advantages) is history.

I havnt got that far yet. Still looking at the viability and if its reliable. Theres a couple of diffrent systems still to look at.

I havnt got that far yet. Still looking at the viability and if its reliable. Theres a couple of diffrent systems still to look at.
I gather there is only 1 system accepted by VW that does not affect the warranty.

Today we visited a show from our local Dutch California dealer in Amersfoort, where a nice chap from VB was showing air suspension for Calis. The system looks amazing, but the pice is also amazing in my opinion: the VB Fullair 4C system goes at 6950 euro ( this week at the show for 6450 euro, so there seems to be some air suspension in the price). It automatically adjusts all four wheels apart, via a remote control.

The suspension is only available for t5/t6 later than 2003. But the chap strongly advised me not to build it in to our 2009 T5, as it could ruin the drive shaft in this model.

In offroad mode driving speed is limited to 30 Kms per hour.
The highest mode raises the front axles 60 MM, off road mode +30 MM and in Sports mode (highway) you can lower to -20 MM. In car parks you can lower the front axle -40 MM and the rear even to -90 MM.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

The suspension is only available for t5/t6 later than 2003. But the chap strongly advised me not to build it in to our 2009 T5, as it could ruin the drive shaft in this model.
Marc, what a strange story! Did he tell you what is so different about the 2009 drive shaft?

We know the guy who helped develop the VB system and was their head of customer service and development for a long time (he is a weetjewel member), we know the chaps who have been supplying the VW van based ambulances in NL with the system for years now (and who can explain why they rather use VB than Goldsschmidt), we have had the system in our 2008 Cali since 2013/125.000 km's, never heard of an issue with the drive shafts in combination with air suspension...

With a permanent raise or lowering, yes. Then the drive shaft is constantly at an angle it wasn't supposed to be at and that is know to be able to lead extra wear (see e.g. Seikel's site on the issue). But the beauty of the air suspension is you only raise/lower your car when you need to, most times you drive at a height which has the axle at the supposed angle. So, less wear than permanent raise/lowering.

Are you sure you and he didn't have a misunderstanding, and were talking about permanent raise vs air, rather than air? Or is the 2009 system indeed different?

Who did you speak with in Amersfoort, do you know? We are going there tomorrow and I would love to corroborate this story!

Marc, what a strange story! Did he tell you what is so different about the 2009 drive shaft?

Who did you speak with in Amersfoort, do you know? We are going there tomorrow and I would love to corroborate this story!

Bob, I was told that my 2009 T5.1 lacks some electronics that controll the drive shaft and other moving parts, like the wheels (he warned me for burning tyres). It is not the engine that causes problems, I was told.

As I had a real interest in buying, I have thanked him for the warning.
Maybe you can shed some more light on this matter after visiting the show tomorrow.

Marc.

VB Air installed by local agent.
Cost around £4,300.
After initial bedding in period has worked brilliantly.
No problems experienced in 18 months.

I informed my insurer, and it had no impact.
But then they know I have long since passed the age of being a boy racer ;)

I don't think that warranty items that could be deemed to have failed due to air suspension is in reality an issue.

driveshafts, dampers, suspension bushes are all excluded under wear and tear normally.