Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Airbag Error Message

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Had to book my 2010 140 California into the VW garage Thursday as the orange airbag warning light was showing and an error message showed up on the display. The garage recon its a design fault, the plug wiring to the airbag unit under the passenger seat is to short and when you swing the seat round it gets stretched. This must be a known problem as VW are supplying a new modified unit which hopefully will resolve the problem.

Re: Airbag Error Maessage

Mine is going in Thursday for the fourth time for the same fault.

VW Golf and Skoda Octavia also suffered with a similar issue caused by the wiring becoming damaged when moving the seat.

Hi Susan,

That's a bit alarming, have you any idea what they have done in the past to try and resolve the problem?

Regards

Ronnie

Hi

Last time, which was about 6 months ago, they told me they had lengthened the wire and it shouldn't happen again. This time the light came on 3 days after I had turned the seat back after a weeks camping trip. Each time they have tested it there is nothing wrong with the actual airbag so I am getting a bit miffed at making a 40 odd mile round trip and wasting hours sitting the the VW garage.

The VW garage I use seemed to know what the problem was and wanted to hard wire the lead directly into the unit but VW wouldn't allow that and insisted they fit the new modified unit. Hopefully this will be a permanent repair

I had to remove the drivers seat on my 2011 Cali last week and once unbolted, I was able to slide it back and set it on its backrest on the floor of the cabin - all without disconnecting the airbag plug. This was obviously a problem on the pre 2010 models as the wire is now almost 1m in length.

Just had this repaired for the 3rd time on my 2010 California. First time was a new part (assuming it's a longer lead). 2nd time was the cable routing... it's not the same as the Transporter due to the rotating seats. 3rd time was "the connector won't come out again, Sir" so I suspect they either didn't route it properly, didn't push it in properly or they have now done something like wrap a cable tie around the connection.

The last time it came on it was while driving down a straight bit of road so I suspect the connector just fell out.

Mine came on at the weekend, so will be off to the garage sometime soon. Thankfully still under warranty. I'll also be having a faulty fuel tank sensor changed. Such little niggles but starting to think 'what next?'...

Guess what. Driving down a 40mph limit road at a stately 35mph and on comes the airbag warning light again. Bit p****ed off now, as it will mean another trip to the garage next week, two days in a courtesy vehicle, dragging the kids hither and thither. Just as well we're not going away yet.
It also concerns me what might fail when the warranty runs out in 15 months. :censor

Bah! Our orange warning light came on last week too! 2010 facelift model. Think it might be due to the seat rotating, as pinged on when we started the van in the morning. When we take it into the garage should we be requesting a particular fix? Slightly concerned his could become a recurring problem judging by some of your experiences :headwall
Cathy & Matt

Airbag Error Message amoungst other things

:headwall
Setting off on our travels at the begining of summer hols , in the first week AirBag Error on dash - advice 'Take to VW immediately'. We're Sussex based.
Not the start of our trip I'd envisaged. VW Plymouth were cool, deactivated the system and said I was fine for the rest of travels of course with no airbag protection.
Faults on print out as follows ...'Front passenger side airbag igniter. Resistance too high'
'Front right head thorax airbag igniter', 'Electric auxilliary air heater', 'Auxiliiary Heater Control Head' - don't know what all means just know that things have started to go wrong on my one year old van...aarrgghhh
So dodgy sliding door, dodgy control panel, dodgy safety system.......gutted really as we love the thing.
We had an absolutley fantastic three week trip though and all will be sorted under the warrenty I know!
Paul

Got my van back yesterday after it was in for the airbag light staying on. Turns out mine was a connection behind the steering wheel that was faulty. New part fitted and problem fixed. Or not.

Service department then advise i will need to book in again as diagonstics has now picked up a fault with the passenger side airbag :headwall Airbag warning light still on !

Not amused

:headwall :headwall :headwall :headwall :headwall :headwall :headwall :headwall

Just had a beautiful sunny weekend, enjoyed by myself and the family BUT without the Cali which I still believe I'm paying for.....why you may ask?????

Van has been in VW Eastbourne Eurovans since last Monday, sliding door has been fixed (it had dropped), paint work sorted (gouged by dropped door) but they can't get the part for the auxillary heater problem...whatever that may be they are waiting for - this Tuesday it 'may be fixed'. To add insult to injury the loan Transporter I'm using has been recalled by the staff there as they have it booked out to someone else tom'w. Said I can have my van back while waiting for the part, of course with no airbags :crazy No other cars/vans available apparently!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RANT OVER.........thankyou for listening.
Paul
:laugh2

Our airbag light came on on Sunday and has now come on again and won't go off, going away tomorrow :headwall

Spoken to Alex and he advised to to call Roadside Assistance ... they are on their way

I can reset it for you first thing is you get no joy Martin :thumb

Of our five California's I have one with this fault, but its intermittent.

Thank you Oli, RAC turned up tonight but he could not do anything as his laptop could not reset it, so VW Assistance has now booked for a VW technician to come in the morning before 11am, very impressed with the service, she even offered to send me courtesy car even though the van is drivable .

If you need it done sooner, just ring me, it takes less than 60 seconds to reset using vagcom. I'm not there tomorrow but will ring ahead. :thumb

Very impressed with VW Assistance, he reset the airbag error and it was the passenger side ignitor that was at fault and so far seems OK, he also spent about an 45 mins doing other updates on my van all of which required the jump leads connected ... confused :crazy Off to New Forest now, what's the betting the light comes back on whilst on way there :lol:

Just had my driver's seat side airbag replaced under warranty..called the VW assist initially thinking the error msg could be reset but no luck so managed to get a decent hire car from them whilst the car was in for repair. Took it to Citygate High Wycombe and services overall was good. Seems like these T5's suffer from a few airbag issues.

Hi all. First post I think - so please be gentle :)
We have also had ongoing passanger side airbag error issues since the van first came home. Think it has been in about 6 times for the same fault with various solutions tried ...all of which have worked for a short while until once again we hear the 'ping' and it's back. Van booked in again for this at the end of this week. And then warranty runs out the week after. Hs anyone else who has suffed this frustrating and time consuming issue had any luck continuing to get the fault fixed for free after the warranty has run out?

Hi if the fault is known about an has had various attempts to fix it you should be covered even when warranty runs out :thumb

Back