Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Airbag warning light

Just an update on my airbag warning light debarcle, my local garage reset the light for the 1st MOT that worked for about a week then it came back on again. I returned to my local VW garage they had it in for the day couldn't find anything wrong reset and cleaned everything this was about a month ago now and so far so good! The VW garage did not charge me for the diagnostic reset( although initially a cost of about £85 was mentioned) as the van is just out of warranty! They have opened a case file for my problem and have kept it open, just in case the fault comes back! Very happy at the moment camping in the South of France using my seats as intended rotated round making a great seating place!

As it happens, I've just had both batteries out to test them so I've taken some snaps.

First, push the seat all the way back. Undo the two nuts - I've found that a 13mm box spanner works best.

Then tip the seat back all the way forward and slide the seat all the way forward. At the back of the sliders, you will see two bolts - undo them.

These are the four things that hold the seat in:

You can then gently lift the front of the seat off the studs and slide the seat forward to rest gently on the dash.

That gives easy access to the battery. You can then slide the seat all the way back and tip it back, carefully (although you do need to support it somehow)

With the seat tipped backwards, you can clearly see the loom connectors for the airbag, seat heater and ejection mechanism.

The problem I had last year with the loom was a pair of much smaller wires above the rotating mechanism which became caught in the mechanism (rather than the connectors you see above - which can be problematic)

When you put the seat back down and have tightened it back up, gently rotate the seat to feeling for any resistance to make sure you haven't trapped owt!

Pictures too, Thank you very much. Now I can get cracking, I just hope I find the problem, I'll let you know. I wonder if the fault will reset itself once the connection is remade or if I will need a reset.
PS the ejection mechanism hasn't been working properly either!

Unfortunately it is what is known as a " Latching Alarm ". Once activated it can only be reset with a Diagnostic Computer via the OBD connecter.

My light has just come on for the 6th time.... and I'm getting pretty hacked off with it. I've raised a call with VW customer services to see if anything can be done, but I suspect that I'm going to need to keep taking it back to the garage to get it reset every 3-6 months or so.

:-(

All fixed thanks to Imperial Commercials very pleased!

This happened to us this year. My wife swiveled the passenger seat while I was dropping the roof.

I think swiveling the seat moves the connector slightly making a momentary high resistance connection. If the ignition is on, then the computer will sense this temporary high resistance as a fault. If the seat is moved with the ignition off, then the computer won't sense the temporary fault.

Feasible?

Alan

Can anyone help? I've just driven for 2 days heading for the Med, when I was within 10 miles of my destination of Argeles sur Mer, the Airbag Warning Light came on the dashboard. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong and the manual tells me to take it to a VW garage to get sorted. Anyone had this? Any suggestions?
Passenger seat swivelling puts tension on the cable. I've had this three times, once under warranty and twice since. On the last occasssion I made a fuss and my local VW dealer, replaced the cable with a longer one. I thought there was a vw fix for this but apparently not. hopefully fixed for good now more than £200 out of pocket. :(

See above from 2014. Just had the driver seat loom extended another £200 poorer. I feel a letter to vw coming on. :)

Reactions: wyn
See above from 2014. Just had the driver seat loom extended another £200 poorer. I feel a letter to vw coming on. :)

Think I may do that too, you don't have the part number by any chance?

Alan

There is no part number as far as i can ascertain. The repairs I have had involved cutting the cables and extending them to avoid tension in the future.
Fingers crossed.

Four or five short lengths of cable and a few crimp connectors, plus an hours labour...that is easy money:eek:

Alan

Same problem here - I think - the problem I now have is that the vehicle has been in the Birmingham VW centre since yesterday, and will be in there until Thursday as the software cannot connect to the OBC. I now have to wait for the 'expert' to get back from training on Thursday. However they may still not be able to fix it until the VAG software has been updated by VW. Very frustrating.

I got an airbag fault after a recent camping trip where a had swivelled the driver's seat. The fault code was airbag igniter resistance too high.

I cleared the fault but it came right back. I undid the four bolts for the seat, tipped it back and disconnected and reconnected the yellow connector. That did the trick.

Mine has just come on after rotating the passenger seat......

Our airbag warning light is reset every year when the van has its MOT -and every year, the next day the light comes back on. We had always been told it was just a fault with the light but after reading that it means the airbag might not activate when you need it to I am now more than a little worried!

Our airbag warning light is reset every year when the van has its MOT -and every year, the next day the light comes back on. We had always been told it was just a fault with the light but after reading that it means the airbag might not activate when you need it to I am now more than a little worried!
If you can get the use of VCDS it can tell you which part of the circuit is open circuit, its normally the seatbelt pretentioner as the cables run under the seat or the seat side airbag. All ther airbags will deploy if they are okay.

Our light has just started coming on!
Am I correct in understanding that there are airbag wires under both front seats and that it could be either causing the fault?
Thanks

As it happens, I've just had both batteries out to test them so I've taken some snaps.

First, push the seat all the way back. Undo the two nuts - I've found that a 13mm box spanner works best.

Then tip the seat back all the way forward and slide the seat all the way forward. At the back of the sliders, you will see two bolts - undo them.

These are the four things that hold the seat in:

You can then gently lift the front of the seat off the studs and slide the seat forward to rest gently on the dash.

That gives easy access to the battery. You can then slide the seat all the way back and tip it back, carefully (although you do need to support it somehow)

With the seat tipped backwards, you can clearly see the loom connectors for the airbag, seat heater and ejection mechanism.

The problem I had last year with the loom was a pair of much smaller wires above the rotating mechanism which became caught in the mechanism (rather than the connectors you see above - which can be problematic)

When you put the seat back down and have tightened it back up, gently rotate the seat to feeling for any resistance to make sure you haven't trapped owt!

Any chance of reloading the snaps. I've looked under both seats today and there is nothing obviously loose, but then I'm not really sure what I'm looking for!

Back