Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aircon Gurgling / Plumbing noises

The Blue Van

The Blue Van

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
After 5 years of good operation, including a regassing service back in January, my 2015 T5 Cali - 51 K miles - has in the last few weeks developed a wheezy gurgly plumbing kind of noise behind the dashboard which clearly associates with the aircon being switched on/off (with a few seconds adjusting lag after turn off). A/C still seems to work OK but the noise is very much new. Level of fluid in reservoir in engine compartment is normal.

Any experience of this and what it might signify?

Many thanks,

After 5 years of good operation, including a regassing service back in January, my 2015 T5 Cali - 51 K miles - has in the last few weeks developed a wheezy gurgly plumbing kind of noise behind the dashboard which clearly associates with the aircon being switched on/off (with a few seconds adjusting lag after turn off). A/C still seems to work OK but the noise is very much new. Level of fluid in reservoir in engine compartment is normal.

Any experience of this and what it might signify?

Many thanks,
Check the AirCon heat exchanger drain is draining properly.
Located on the engine bulkhead , on the R of centre, I think.

See black tube, yellow dot, within red circle.

23095EF5-8AF2-4BBD-ADDA-BD3717FD9398.jpeg

Many thanks WG. Dumb question. If I unscrew it and a load of fluid drains out, will I have to get it filled up again (if so I may as well just take to the garage in any case, the better informed for this exchange)?

Many thanks WG. Dumb question. If I unscrew it and a load of fluid drains out, will I have to get it filled up again (if so I may as well just take to the garage in any case, the better informed for this exchange)?
No. When the Aircon is working it cools the air coming in to a very low temperature and then warms it up to the temperature selected. When the air is cooled it carries less humidity/water which drains out through that drain tube. Just find the tube end, and give it a squeeze and a rub between your fingers to make sure it is open and draining. The walls can stick together thus blocking it.

Check the AirCon heat exchanger drain is draining properly.
Located on the engine bulkhead , on the R of centre, I think.

See black tube, yellow dot, within red circle.

View attachment 65726

After following various leak related tips on the forum I think that my water appearing on the drivers side of the transmission tunnel might be down to this aircon heat exchanger drain pipe. The downward pipe on mine is squeezed behind the insulation that surrounds it, if that makes sense. My pipe goes behind the insulation about half way between the yellow dot and the tip of the red arrow. Doesn't seem right to me, but it is quite hard to tell whether the one in the picture above is the same.

So, should it go behind the insulation, or is it meant to stick out down in to the engine bay?

So after checking a friend's van, I can confirm that as you'd expect the drain pipe is supposed to be in front of the insulation and drain down into the engine bay. Managed to tug it out from behind the insulation, so it now hangs as it should. Let's hope that fixes the leak!

Back