Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aires/site near Calais

Anage

Anage

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,
Leaving for France on eurotunnel Sunday at 18:30. As I left everything so late most crossings were fully booked. I'm gonna follow advice and turn up early and hope for a space but failing that can anyone recommend a good aire or camp site within an hour or so of Calais as I don't want to be driving far at night before heading down towards bordeaux via amboise.
Cheers

Camping Saint-Lois near Ardres. Very good. Clean, small restaurant on site.

I have used the main square in Ardres.

There are two, one in front of the church, cobbled, nice shops, and one off the main road heading through Ardres opposite the big pharmacy. The second is more discrete but is also the market square so you may have a rude awakening :D

I have used the main square in Ardres.

There are two, one in front of the church, cobbled, nice shops, and one off the main road heading through Ardres opposite the big pharmacy. The second is more discrete but is also the market square so you may have a rude awakening :D
Do you think i would have a problem getting on there at that time of the day? 18:30 tunnel crossing?

The aire in the Cite Europe shopping centre is said to be OK. Overlooked by the gendarmerie so should be safe enough. No services but the loos etc in the shops when open.

I used to use City Europe but it's pretty noisy with staff arriving for work in the early hours.

Now I always use the Aire at Gravelines just up the coast. Quite and a nice view.

Do you think i would have a problem getting on there at that time of the day? 18:30 tunnel crossing?

I doubt it, neither are "official", just known. The big one on the main road running through Ardres always has a couple of units on it but it's a very big car park.

If it's 1830 Uk then you will be there 2030 CET and can pick your spot ..,

I see Gravelines has been mentioned as well and would also give that a vote.

Good to have a couple of options. Feeling a bit daunted at the mo first trip and all that. Think once I have my first night out of the way I'll be good.

You have plenty of daylight to play with. One of the joys of France is if the first choice is not available for whatever reason then it's not far to the next best bet.

There is a very large Aire in Bergues, about 40 minutes to an hour, at least 40 units can squeeze on it. No facilities but a short walk into town, big supermarkets nearby.

I always have hard copy in my van, the book all the Aires, just in case I cannot get a signal, it can be great fun finding new places but sometimes a bit stressful unless you have a few alternatives up the sleeve.

There is also a big car park at Cap Gris Nez just down the coast. It says no overnights but everyone seems to ignore it.

Re gravelines I have seen a couple of reviews on camper contact suggesting a bit of a bike theft problem?

You have plenty of daylight to play with. One of the joys of France is if the first choice is not available for whatever reason then it's not far to the next best bet.

There is a very large Aire in Bergues, about 40 minutes to an hour, at least 40 units can squeeze on it. No facilities but a short walk into town, big supermarkets nearby.

I always have hard copy in my van, the book all the Aires, just in case I cannot get a signal, it can be great fun finding new places but sometimes a bit stressful unless you have a few alternatives up the sleeve.
I'm currently thumbing through " all the aires" kindly lent to me

Last year we overnighted at camping la bien assise. Well I say overnighted, but thanks to a train delay from Folkestone it ended up only being 4am till 8am. Only about 10-15 mins from Calais and a proper site. We would definitely use again.
Was €20 so we didn't exactly get our money's worth but decent shower block and far enough out of Calais not to have to worry about migrants etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We stayed at Citi Europe last night - there were probably 15 big whites there and a few camper vans. It was nice and quiet and didn't wake up until 08:00 so no problems. No toilets until the Carrefour cafe opens in the morning - so we made use of our uriwells.

Thought I would let you know I'm enjoying a pint of the local strong beer at "le cozy coza" in ardres before my morning return to the uk.
I also picked up a mix of wines from the wine merchant you recommended.
It's been an interesting first trip to France/abroad in the Cali. Two weeks was just about ok for my first time solo and there are certainly things I would do differently but on the whole it has been a positive experience.
Ps I haven't stayed on the main square but instead opted for the small camp site on the lake for 15 euros.

Thought I would let you know I'm enjoying a pint of the local strong beer at "le cozy coza" in ardres before my morning return to the uk.
I also picked up a mix of wines from the wine merchant you recommended.
It's been an interesting first trip to France/abroad in the Cali. Two weeks was just about ok for my first time solo and there are certainly things I would do differently but on the whole it has been a positive experience.
Ps I haven't stayed on the main square but instead opted for the small camp site on the lake for 15 euros.

Excellent! Glad it was such a positive experience. I will be popping over in a couple of weeks and popping in to see Guy at rue de la arinal ....

Just returned from 2 nights at Château Gandspette on the return leg of our French tour. Great site and would not hesitate to recommend.

I'm there at the moment.

Came over late last night and did not fancy the Aire at Bergues or the small Aire at Watten so booked in.

Lovely site, lots of facilities, quite expensive, but yes, lovely.