Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm keeps going off

Judyl

Judyl

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I am currently away camping and have been having issues with the alarm. If i leave the vehicle it goes off.
I have
Taken the roof down
Taken the silver screen off (late on a windy evening and i managed to damage one of the wiper arms in the process)

The aa man has just left and picked up a fault on the interior lighting circuit and has removed the fuse.

I have been turning the ingition on and off, pressing the alarm buttons on the pillar and then locking the door but still the alarm goes off.

Is there any way i can disable the alarm when i leave the van on site. Went out for a meal last night and was called back by the warden.

The door pillar button is supposed to disable the internal sensors so your problem seems to be more problematic than that.

I used to have a car where if you locked it with the key rather than the remote fob then neither the alarm or immobiliser were set. I don't know whether this is the case for VW and the Cali though - can anyone clarify?

I am currently away camping and have been having issues with the alarm. If i leave the vehicle it goes off.
I have
Taken the roof down
Taken the silver screen off (late on a windy evening and i managed to damage one of the wiper arms in the process)

The aa man has just left and picked up a fault on the interior lighting circuit and has removed the fuse.

I have been turning the ingition on and off, pressing the alarm buttons on the pillar and then locking the door but still the alarm goes off.

Is there any way i can disable the alarm when i leave the van on site. Went out for a meal last night and was called back by the warden.
I believe you have to have the drivers door open when you activate the door pillar button, and them lock with the remote within a short time (30-secs?).
I know we had problems when we did the door button, shut the door, then got the dogs out of the boot before locking vehicle.

Last edited:
Presumably the alarm doesn't go off when you leave it other places, like at home? What's different about your setup while camping compared to at home?

But to answer your question, yes the button on the b-pillar side disables the alarm. You'll see it change colour when you press it. It only lasts until next time you unlock the van

It looks like it's an electrical fault. Removing the fuse for the internal car lights has solved the problem for now. I notice that the door panel alarm switches are not coming on now. Cali has just come back from Vw for corrosion repair. I hope there is no connection. I am trying to get it booked into vw garage to find a more permanent solution. It's happened once or twice earlier this year but last night it was going off every few minutes so i could not lock the van at all. I was very unpopular with the warden and fellow campers and got very fit rushing across the site to turn the alarm off . I was trying to take part in a skilttles game at the time on the other side of the site.

A problem I have had with two VW vehicle alarms (latest with a new Passat) are moths/large insects as these do set the alarms off very easily in VW vehicles. Our older 2002 Beetle drove me nuts when the alarm would constantly sound during the night - when moths become active. The VW Passat had the same problem but during the day. Found and got rid of the bug and immediately removed the problem... Might be worth a check...

But to answer your question, yes the button on the b-pillar side disables the alarm. You'll see it change colour when you press it. It only lasts until next time you unlock the van

A slight correction doesn't the b pillar button only disable the internal sensors not the alarm altogether?
If you activate the button and lock with key then exit side door without unlocking with key my alarm goes off.

..me..

A slight correction doesn't the b pillar button only disable the internal sensors not the alarm altogether?
If you activate the button and lock with key then exit side door without unlocking with key my alarm goes off.

..me..
Yes, you're correct - just the sensors.

slight correction doesn't the b pillar button only disable the internal sensors
The rocker switch on mine goes both ways one way for internal alarm an d one way for tow away alarm. You have to shut all doors then open drivers door rock switch until it changes colour mine goes from red to orange is disabled . Then shut door and lock with fob. as soon as you open it the alarm is reset.

You can also turn the key in the door lock to central lock it without the alarm. It will still be Imobised.

You can also turn the key in the door lock to central lock it without the alarm. It will still be Imobised.
This is all very useful information. I think I have got it now:
  1. To lock the vehicle without the internal sensors, press the B pillar button then lock the vehicle normally.
  2. To lock the vehicle with the alarm being set, lock the vehicle with the key.
One of my next jobs was to read the chapter in the manual about the alarm, if I have this right, I can focus on something else instead.

Several times I have locked the dogs in the car without disabling the internal sensors. The alarm has never gone off.