T5 SE 140
DSCN5865_zpsbxybuefw.jpg
IMG_3740_zps4i05vcph.jpg
DSCN5874_zps1jwtk87d.jpg
DSCN5886_zpsdvxbpzr4.jpg
DSCN5867_zps9fazjdgd.jpg
DSCN5857_zpst8vabbvq.jpg
IMG_3716_zpsvwrfydos.jpg

We visited about five to six camps and they all were extraordinary clean. They are cleaning them all day long, most of them 24 hours a day. This is a photo of one in Camp Ksamil at the very south of Albania, close to the Greek border. They serve you a welcome and a goodbye coffee.
The price of camps was the same everywhere we were. 2 adults, two kids (10 and 12) and 2 dogs for 14 Euros total. Electricity and wi-fi are free!
Very nice and hospitable people wherever we went.
IMG_2953_zpshd5otejy.jpg

A very small camp in the Albanian mountain pass, few km south of a tourist town Vlore.
We had to escape the extreme heat that was beating us for days. Most of the days it was over 40, that day 43 and very humid. The camp and a small family restaurant was at the altitude of 900m in the forests, but with a fantastic view to the sea below. We had a fantastic dinner for four for 10 Euros.
IMG_2927_zps0hdaj8tr.jpg

This is the pass from the other side. It has some magnificent views and many paragliders from different countries were gliding from it to the beaches 1000m below.
DSCN5868_zpsrjw9cern.jpg

DSCN5871_zps7esrfuco.jpg

Campsite at Lake Skhoder close to Montenegro border (Skadarsko jezero in Serbian that is spoken there).
Again, price for all of us 14 Euros, the fastest Wi-fi, I have experienced, very, very clean toilets and a nice restaurant with good food. Price for a Pizza? 2.6 to 3 Euros. Albanians have very good pizzas, the influence of Italy is obvious.
Did I mention that Albania has plenty of fresh drinking water, everywhere?
DSCN5839_zps6ijqzbva.jpg

DSCN5840_zpsqrnhrorq.jpg

DSCN5846_zpsz80btsks.jpg

DSCN5835_zpskghm32q2.jpg

Thanks for sharing your great pictures! Looks great! How about crowd and availability of places/pitches in the shadow on the CP?

We were there in top season, so it was quite busy, but there was enough space everywhere. The pitches in the shade at Lake Skhoder can be reserved in advance. http://www.lakeshkodraresort.com/
We were constantly on the move, because of the heat. Packed at 11, then drove in the hours when the heat was too high. As said before, all camps had excellent internet connections and I took some time in the evenings to find a camp for the next day, sent them an email and asked about the space.
As a motorcyclist, I have many friends that go to Albania with motorcycles and they gave me the most useful information and tips for nice camps, so I do not know the bad camps, they filtered them out for me :)
The best time to go to Albania would be end of September or the beginning of October or in the Spring. Summer is too hot, but we had no choice, the kids have holidays in July and August.
I have a plan to go once again this year, maybe with a motorcycle on a trailer, camp at Lake Shkodra and ride a bike in the mountains around it. There are mountain peaks with over 2.200m and many offroad roads to explore.

There were Agave cacti everywhere. According to belief they blossom when they reach 100 years, then they die. It looks there will be a huge Agave graveyard in Albania, if this stands. They seem to blossom all at the same time. Wonderful view anyway.
DSCN5878_zpsgxwj4kwv.jpg

DSCN5877_zpsfhx34bmy.jpg

Done most of Albania - in the same colour van! Great experience but regret not getting down to Saranda. Hot springs at Permat and Valbona Valley in the North east were the highlights.

Great, I have went through some parts on my motorbike years ago, couldnt tell any difference from italy in the mountain region.

Wow beautiful, a very inspiring trip! I need to get out somewhere in the UK while the weather is still nice. :D

Last edited:
There were Agave...
Zdravo. Vidim, da imate nekaj potopisov na tem forumu. Ali imate slučajno tudi kakšen blog v slovenščini?
Med čakanjem na Californio Coast se malo kratkočasim s prebiranjem foruma. Nisem VIP, zato sem uporabil reply :)

Zdravo. Vidim, da imate nekaj potopisov na tem forumu. Ali imate slučajno tudi kakšen blog v slovenščini?
Med čakanjem na Californio Coast se malo kratkočasim s prebiranjem foruma. Nisem VIP, zato sem uporabil reply :)
Nič v Slovenščini, žal. Ja, tukaj se dobi kar nekaj informacij. Mi smo po treh prelepih sezonah našo Cali prodali. Punci sta zrasli in se jima ne da več potovati in biti vsak dan na drugi lokaciji.

We visited about five to six camps and they all were extraordinary clean. They are cleaning them all day long, most of them 24 hours a day. This is a photo of one in Camp Ksamil at the very south of Albania, close to the Greek border. They serve you a welcome and a goodbye coffee.
The price of camps was the same everywhere we were. 2 adults, two kids (10 and 12) and 2 dogs for 14 Euros total. Electricity and wi-fi are free!
Very nice and hospitable people wherever we went.
IMG_2953_zpshd5otejy.jpg
Hi. How did you get on with insurance for Albania? Did you find an insurer that does proper cover or did you buy a policy at the border?

Hi. How did you get on with insurance for Albania? Did you find an insurer that does proper cover or did you buy a policy at the border?
I bought insurance at the border - its gone up in price in recent years but not too bad. Remember its not comprehensive insurance just 3rd party. Albania is a fantastic country and still unspoilt. If you need detail pm me. If you are travelling this time of year be prepared for long delays at some of the borders as the diaspora return. If you are coming from Montenegro you may want to cross at Hani i hotit which is generally used by HGV's but less queues than the one near Shkoder.

Cheers. Thanks for the info. So far I've not been able to find anything more than 3rd party either and the prospect of having my van stolen or hi-jacked does worry me. Admittedly it's never happened yet in all the other European countries we've been to. Did you decide just to take the risk? If so, did you ever let it out of your sight? Best wishes, Richard.