Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alcantara seats question.

Chris H

Chris H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi does anyone know if the Alcantara seats are just the front or rear bed/seat aswell .? Does anyone have any picks of the new ones for the T6. Are they a suede effect or real leather ?

Thanks

Chris

I can only speak for the T5 (but my guess is that the T6 will be the same). The Alcantara is both front and rear seats. I don't think there is any leather - Alcantara is a synthetic material and the seat back is vinyl. I'm not sure about the trim at the side of the seat. It doesn't sound great and it's certainly expensive but I really like it and prefer it to either leather or cloth.

Mind you I'm trying to spec a T6 for less than £60k and I think the Alcantara will have to go. Pity.

I can only speak for the T5 (but my guess is that the T6 will be the same). The Alcantara is both front and rear seats. I don't think there is any leather - Alcantara is a synthetic material and the seat back is vinyl. I'm not sure about the trim at the side of the seat. It doesn't sound great and it's certainly expensive but I really like it and prefer it to either leather or cloth.

Mind you I'm trying to spec a T6 for less than £60k and I think the Alcantara will have to go. Pity.
Whist I have no personal experience, from what I have read on this forum, the standard cloth trim is not that practical as it gets dirty, stains easily and you will probably end up buying seat covers. So I wouldn't get rid of leather/alcantara off your spec list without first looking into it thoroughly. Our alcantara has had the Autoglym lifeshine treatment which is supposed to repel dirt and liquids. Only time will tell if thats been worth it. If it were me I would get shot of something else instead.

Why oh why doesn't VW offer full leather as a factory fit option. With eight grandchildren visiting us on a regular basis at home I can assure everyone that leather is the only choice. All of our home furniture is now leather. It gains more character the more use it gets and after a quick wipe over after the kiddy winks have gone home, all is restored to normal. In a leisure vehicle with adults, kids, dogs a who knows what else diving in and out from a muddy campsite, leather has to be the most practical choice. So please VW, stop messing about and give us the option of full leather.
Alcantara is an expensive man made material which was developed in Italy for amongst other things, the luxury car market. Google it for the full sp.
I believe that the parts of the seat which come into contact with ones back and nether regions are leather (apart from the alcantara sections). The rest of the seat covering is leather cloth.
Ours is an ex demonstrator and came with the leather/alcantara option otherwise I think we would have had it re-trimmed in leather

Last edited:
You can always use the van until the cloth looks shabby and then get the seats redone in leather by a third party for what the alicantra would cost as an option. A friend did this with their T5. It's my plan if the scotch guard treatment that my dealer has mentioned they can do doesn't work

I have Alicantra on a 3 yr old T5 - and it's fab. I've spilled all sorts on them and with little water and/or baby wipes (Tesos are the best) not a stain has persisted,

Andy

You can always use the van until the cloth looks shabby and then get the seats redone in leather by a third party for what the alicantra would cost as an option. A friend did this with their T5. It's my plan if the scotch guard treatment that my dealer has mentioned they can do doesn't work
Before we bought our new Cali I looked into the process of having Cali seats recovered in leather and was surprised to find that the company with which I made the enquiry, covered everything in leather. No leather cloth used at all. Sorry can't remember the name of this company. I don't know if most re-trimmers use all leather but given the cost of the factory fitted leather/alcantara option the full leather after market re trim looks to be very good value. The leather/alcantara on our soon to be, ex-demonstrator Cali T5 is the so called melange/classic grey option which was listed at £1400 incl VAT!!! Ouch.
image.jpg
It could be ordered as a leather/alcantara option in all classic grey for £860 incl VAT. What is it about this option on our Cali that costs the extra £540? The only difference that I can see is the colour of the alcantara. Perhaps VW used genuine leather from the hide of a Dodo.
My wife has just informed me that a Dodo was a type of flightless bird. How would I know that, i've never seen one.

Last edited:
I have gone through the same thought process of Alcantara v Dealer fit leather and will go with the leather for the simple reason of ease to look after with kids rubbing everything they can find into it. Also the price gap is not that much from the factory fit Alcantara when you also add the necessary protective treatment into the Alcantara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the light grey Alacantara on our T5 and it transforms the look of the interior I think it looks classy. We had it treated by dealer and I spilled red wine all over the cab seat but it just went into globules that could be mopped up easily with no stain phew!

We have the light grey Alacantara on our T5 and it transforms the look of the interior I think it looks classy. We had it treated by dealer and I spilled red wine all over the cab seat but it just went into globules that could be mopped up easily with no stain phew!

For goodness sake! Be more careful with the wine! What a waste!:shocked

As already stated the leather on the seats is only on the bits you sit on, backs and base coverings leather look. I have leather/ alcantara caravelle seats in my van. I cannot fault them, easy to clean both just wipe clean and alcantara is nice to sit on, not too cold or hot depending on the weather as full leather seats are. I have 3 young kids and can keep them looking great, the same can't be said for my cloth golf seats!

One confusing thing is on the T5 it is alcantara/leather and from the pics and what you say its the suede feel alcantara you sit on and leather look on the sides and rear. Where in the T6 brochure and price list it just says alcantara. So not sure if its all in the one material and colour or two types like the T5.

Ours has alcantara/leather seats, specced by the original owner. We have seat covers and I'm pretty sure the alcantara would have been trashed by now if we hadn't. The problem is that the covers squeak against the leather and vinyl panels of the seat coverings.
Given the choice I would go for cloth seats and some waterproof covers.

Seat covers are great when you have been working and getting dirty however it's like sitting on a plastic bag when the weather heats up. I wouldn't want to have them on a trip abroad!,alcantara really is great, looks good and is great to use and east to keep clean

Whist I have no personal experience, from what I have read on this forum, the standard cloth trim is not that practical as it gets dirty, stains easily and you will probably end up buying seat covers. So I wouldn't get rid of leather/alcantara off your spec list without first looking into it thoroughly. Our alcantara has had the Autoglym lifeshine treatment which is supposed to repel dirt and liquids. Only time will tell if thats been worth it. If it were me I would get shot of something else instead.

Why oh why doesn't VW offer full leather as a factory fit option. With eight grandchildren visiting us on a regular basis at home I can assure everyone that leather is the only choice. All of our home furniture is now leather. It gains more character the more use it gets and after a quick wipe over after the kiddy winks have gone home, all is restored to normal. In a leisure vehicle with adults, kids, dogs a who knows what else diving in and out from a muddy campsite, leather has to be the most practical choice. So please VW, stop messing about and give us the option of full leather.
Alcantara is an expensive man made material which was developed in Italy for amongst other things, the luxury car market. Google it for the full sp.
I believe that the parts of the seat which come into contact with ones back and nether regions are leather (apart from the alcantara sections). The rest of the seat covering is leather cloth.
Ours is an ex demonstrator and came with the leather/alcantara option otherwise I think we would have had it re-trimmed in leather

Borris, this maybe of no help but in a conversation with the sales guys at VW Horsham he told me that he arranged for "real" leather seats, ie the cloth ones re-covered on a Tiguan for less that what VW charge as a factory option ! I have order cloth in my T6 and will re-cover them later. I don't fancy spending over a grand on vinyl seats. I have a contact number if your interested.

So I wouldn't get rid of leather/alcantara off your spec list without first looking into it thoroughly.
You're right and I am still thinking about Alcantara. It looks as though I might have plenty of time to think as I still haven't heard back from my dealer or VW why the (absolutely must-have essential!) electric sliding door is available on the builders' vans, the Beach, and the Caravelle but not on the Ocean.

You're right and I am still thinking about Alcantara. It looks as though I might have plenty of time to think as I still haven't heard back from my dealer or VW why the (absolutely must-have essential!) electric sliding door is available on the builders' vans, the Beach, and the Caravelle but not on the Ocean.

Let us know if you ever hear re electric door!

Borris, this maybe of no help but in a conversation with the sales guys at VW Horsham he told me that he arranged for "real" leather seats, ie the cloth ones re-covered on a Tiguan for less that what VW charge as a factory option ! I have order cloth in my T6 and will re-cover them later. I don't fancy spending over a grand on vinyl seats. I have a contact number if your interested.
Thanks Flood51,
This is very interesting however having just agreed to buy a demo T5 with alcantara/leather I will see how i get on with this upholstery. I intend to change it before the warranty runs out so may go for full leather next time. If VW haven't added full leather by then, I will probably go for a retrim.
Best wishes

I have the Leather Alcantara factory trim and I think its fantastic, wipe clean, feel lovely and smell great. We actually ditched the inca covers as we were so impressed.

Last edited:
I can confirm that leather/ alcantara is easy to clean (with baby wipes) thanks to an exploding biro.

Thanks all for the comments, looks like they will go on the list of options, hoping to place the order in the next day or two.

Thanks Flood51,
This is very interesting however having just agreed to buy a demo T5 with alcantara/leather I will see how i get on with this upholstery. I intend to change it before the warranty runs out so may go for full leather next time. If VW haven't added full leather by then, I will probably go for a retrim.
Best wishes

This is the company that VW Horsham used. They took the seats out and the company collects and redelivers after re-trimming

www.dkschweizer.co.uk/

Spoke the the guys at DK Schweizer who said they have fitted leather to numerous Cali's for various dealerships. Price quoted was £1050 plus Vat but that includes the additional 5th seat. Same price for two tone leather and various stitching choices. Seems like a very good value option for easy maintenance interior that will look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least with the power latching you don't have to slam the door at night.
It (power latching) still sounds loud on a campsite in the middle of the night.

Back