Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

all 12v sockets

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Trying to find all the 12v sockets in a T6 Beach.
Not on the top of a comfort dashboard. One in a phone compartment. 20A one on the left wall behind the seat.
One in the tent up top.
Did I miss any other ones? Also is there a table of Amper ratings for each? I suppose the one in a dashboard is the only one going from the auxiliary battery right?

On our Beach there is one in the boot on the right. There's one near the drink holder on the right hand side of the rear bench. We had an optional socket added so this has a UK plug and another 12V behind the front passenger seat. We've got the bog standard dash and have one on top and one for the cigarette lighter. And there's on in the roof space.

I was staggered at how many there were. :D

There's probably another cheeky one that I haven't found yet...

Trying to find all the 12v sockets in a T6 Beach.
Not on the top of a comfort dashboard. One in a phone compartment. 20A one on the left wall behind the seat.
One in the tent up top.
Did I miss any other ones? Also is there a table of Amper ratings for each? I suppose the one in a dashboard is the only one going from the auxiliary battery right?

Doesn't the one on dashboard work from engine battery?

John

I suspect from my volt meter use that the front two (one on top and one in the cupholder) do indeed connect to the engine battery as they seem to show a different voltage to the back 3.

On a t5 there is one under the bench by the sliding door, one behind the left front seat and one in the right hand of the boot all that appear to run off the leisure battery as far as I can tell.

I do find the one by the bench seat very difficult to access though with a 3 seat, not very well positioned. Hope its better on the t6.

Yea there are many overall but not so flexible for the 1st row seats. On a comfort dashboard there is literally a single one in a front row.
Was sure they put one into the glove compartment.
At least there is a usb for charging and connecting phone, but again just a single one ;)

We can't check for ourselves as we haven't taken delivery of our 2019 T6 Beach yet. Is anyone able to tell us where the 12V sockets are situated please? We are trying to decide where we can put the fridge. Thank you.

We can't check for ourselves as we haven't taken delivery of our 2019 T6 Beach yet. Is anyone able to tell us where the 12V sockets are situated please? We are trying to decide where we can put the fridge. Thank you.
#1 front of dashboard - powered from the engine battery
#2 top of dashboard - leisure battery
#3 in the roof - leisure battery
#4 by the side of the front passenger seat - leisure battery
#5 on the right of the bench seat - leisure battery
#6 on the left of the boot, tucked behind the multiflex support - leisure battery

It may seem that the left of the boot is a good place to locate your fridge. However, it is impossible to use the boot socket without pushing the multiflex about 10cm forward. We spent a year away with the fridge strapped behind the front passenger seat.
IMG_0798.JPG

The seat still swivels.

IMG_0799.JPG

And the table can go above.

IMG_0800.JPG

However, we have found the 12v plug and socket to be unsatisfactory. There can be considerable voltage drop overnight which causes the fridge to cut out, even on the lowest voltage setting. This is a feature of the fridge, designed to protect engine batteries from being discharged.

What we have done to resolve this is hardwire our own circuit. We now have a hardwired anderson connector behind the front passenger seat, in the toolbox on the right of the boot, and in the awning cavity. It is now a simple matter to locate the fridge behind the front passenger seat, in the boot, or in the driveaway awning.

Power to the awning cavity
IMG_2216.JPG

Thank you that's very helpful :)

Voltage drop is caused by a cable, which in almost all 12v accessories I've seen are too thin.
No idea why they can't use thicker copper wire in usually close to 1k eur fridges.
So just make your own cable 6mm2 copper, make sure the fuse isn't in the cig plug.

You can use the socket behind multiflex board by using custom short cig plug.

Voltage drop is caused by a cable, which in almost all 12v accessories I've seen are too thin.
No idea why they can't use thicker copper wire in usually close to 1k eur fridges.
So just make your own cable 6mm2 copper, make sure the fuse isn't in the cig plug.

I know this shouldn’t affect voltage, but the more appliances we have drawing current the lower the battery voltage. When all unplugged the battery voltage partially recovers.

#1 front of dashboard - powered from the engine battery
#2 top of dashboard - leisure battery
#3 in the roof - leisure battery
#4 by the side of the front passenger seat - leisure battery
#5 on the right of the bench seat - leisure battery
#6 on the left of the boot, tucked behind the multiflex support - leisure battery

It may seem that the left of the boot is a good place to locate your fridge. However, it is impossible to use the boot socket without pushing the multiflex about 10cm forward. We spent a year away with the fridge strapped behind the front passenger seat.
View attachment 45146

The seat still swivels.

View attachment 45147

And the table can go above.

View attachment 45148

However, we have found the 12v plug and socket to be unsatisfactory. There can be considerable voltage drop overnight which causes the fridge to cut out, even on the lowest voltage setting. This is a feature of the fridge, designed to protect engine batteries from being discharged.

What we have done to resolve this is hardwire our own circuit. We now have a hardwired anderson connector behind the front passenger seat, in the toolbox on the right of the boot, and in the awning cavity. It is now a simple matter to locate the fridge behind the front passenger seat, in the boot, or in the driveaway awning.

Power to the awning cavity
View attachment 45149
Can you please share details where you have connected?
Leisure battery terminals?

Can you please share details where you have connected?
Leisure battery terminals?

The terminals are bolted onto the leisure battery under the passenger seat. The cable runs under the side trim to the tool box where there is a 2 way adaptor. The cable then runs under the trim to the tailgate loom, out of the van through a small incision in the loom. It goes across the back of the van and through two “shotgun” holes drilled in the awning endcap.

I am delighted with it. We have lighting and refrigeration in the awning.

Did you add a fuse closer to battery connection?

Do you have a photo how you have connected on the terminals please?

Do you have a photo how you have connected on the terminals please?

003e85eb133a3cab4922f304011042c3.jpg

I bought the red cable, 30cm, ready made with the fuse.

Last edited:
I suspect from my volt meter use that the front two (one on top and one in the cupholder) do indeed connect to the engine battery as they seem to show a different voltage to the back 3.

Agree with Tom this is an old post and I changed my mind after more testing. The one on top of the dash is leisure battery, cup holder is engine battery. Everything else leisure.

I bought the red cable, 30cm, ready made with the fuse.
Trying to get access to the leisure battery to put own terminals. It is covered by a huge rubber cover any suggestions on how to access the battery without removing the chair?
Do you have a photo of how the cables are connected to battery terminals, please? Thanks!

You can loosen the front bolts and remove the back bolts and lift the seat forward without removing. That is how I access the terminals. Be careful of the airbag cable.

You can loosen the front bolts and remove the back bolts and lift the seat forward without removing. That is how I access the terminals. Be careful of the airbag cable.

When I connected the solar panels I did as you did and unbolted the seat.

Since then, I have successfully removed the rubber battery cover without removing the seat: I cannot recall if I swivelled the seat or not, but I definitely pushed it fully forward.

Counter intuitively it is easier to replace the battery cover than it is to remove it.

Thanks for the photo! So you access it from the back and had to unbolt the seat right?
Though it is possible to remove the cover without unbolting the seat and get access to terminals?

Thanks for the photo! So you access it from the back and had to unbolt the seat right?
Though it is possible to remove the cover without unbolting the seat and get access to terminals?

Yes - access from the back with the seat fully forward. Swivel to see if you have more space. Tug at the cover until it eases off to reveal terminals. No need to unbolt the seat, risk of expensive airbag cable damage if you do unbolt the seat.

I did manage access without the seat taken off but it took way longer than just undoing the bolts at the back and lifting the seat up.

Back