WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have no use in all weather.
As I bought a set of alloys off eebay, I had my steel set to put real mud and snow tyres on.

Even with normal "summer" tyres on, the grip is way better than my previous Golf 4.
Once on a dual carriage way, where only the right track was free of snow, but just wet from the salty water, I got onto the inner lane, passing all the normal vehicles that were doing 70 km/h. I was going up to 80 km/h on a snowy/icey lane, with my summers. Once back on the outer lane, I could get back up to the max allowed speed of 90 km/h without problems.

All weather says it all, it suits all weather types, but is not excellent in each one of them.

Looks like Goodyear have upped their game against the Michelin Cross Climate which had been leading for a year. Both great tyres for British Cali’s (except for a few of us in the hills swapping to full winters).

I have crossclimates on the front and will put them on the back tooo.
On smooth surfaces (shiny white lines and tarmac repairs I hear the tread pattern sticking to the road but far more pleasing than the droning if noisy tyres.
Price was decent and as for performance?
I don’t know, they just seem a little better than the turanzas that came with the Cali.

A pair of cross climates being fitted tomorrow!
Blackcircles had a good deal ..... £124 each.

Tyre test reviews should only be used as just that as they go out of date quite rapidly with new tyres coming onto the market frequently, plus not all Brands are tested just a selection of one particular size. 255/60/18 in the 2018 quoted test.
If confusion on Test reports outcomes and what to go for read this one--

I have crossclimates on the front and will put them on the back tooo.
On smooth surfaces (shiny white lines and tarmac repairs I hear the tread pattern sticking to the road but far more pleasing than the droning if noisy tyres.
Price was decent and as for performance?
I don’t know, they just seem a little better than the turanzas that came with the Cali.
It is not advised to run different types of tyres front vs rear. It could affect an insurance claim if loss of control was the reason for making a claim. Having just put Crossclimate on all four corners of my Cali I agree they are a great tyre and they seem to be much quieter than the stock Turanza.

Thanks.
I know it would be better to keep all 4 the same.
I did consider it but frankly, this isn't like the bad old days of mixing crossply's with radials.Also I'm not mixing on the same axle or mixing summer with winter tyres.
I don't think there will be any loss of control due to mixing front and rear and even if there was none that that could be proven and I'm within the law.
So front and rear is acceptable and justified as far as i'm concerned.
My insurer would have to prove otherwise as there is no mention of this so far as I can see.

Thanks.
I know it would be better to keep all 4 the same.
I did consider it but frankly, this isn't like the bad old days of mixing crossply's with radials.Also I'm not mixing on the same axle or mixing summer with winter tyres.
I don't think there will be any loss of control due to mixing front and rear and even if there was none that that could be proven and I'm within the law.
So front and rear is acceptable and justified as far as i'm concerned.
My insurer would have to prove otherwise as there is no mention of this so far as I can see.
Might be more of an issue with 4 motion but I doubt that normal FWD would be an problem with different tyres front and rear.

Might be more of an issue with 4 motion but I doubt that normal FWD would be an problem with different tyres front and rear.
4 motion wouldn't be an issue unless there was a difference in rolling circumference between front and rear. Usually recommended to have same tread level and tyre brand all round to avoid diff compensation in a straight line.
4M usually wears tyres at the same rate requiring 4 changing simultaneously.

Great to see the CrossClimates doing so well across the spectrum.
Been running mine for 6 months with no complaints so far, will be interesting to see how they are over winter.
But judging by the test results these are a perfect tyre for UK conditions

Mixing winter and summer tyres is a big no no, but summer and cross climate are fine. The tyres with the greatest grip should go on the rear irrespective of drive.

Great to see the CrossClimates doing so well across the spectrum.
Been running mine for 6 months with no complaints so far, will be interesting to see how they are over winter.
But judging by the test results these are a perfect tyre for UK conditions

I have had mine on for nearly two years now, 20,000 miles, even wear, just below 5mm, performed brilliantly in pennine snow last year, pulled a caravan off a flooded field a week ago with no problem.

Does anyone have decent long term experience on the BFG AT KO2s? I’ve seen a few post discussions on it regarding fitting etc, but not seen anyone review over time or actually discuss once fitted and used over different seasons etc.

I know they fit and they make a hum but interested in any long term reviews.

Why does the 1st placed Goodyear have fewer points than the second placed Michelin? I've seen this before on their tests.

Mixing winter and summer tyres is a big no no, but summer and cross climate are fine. The tyres with the greatest grip should go on the rear irrespective of drive.

Which would you put where? Summer tyres v All season - one is has more grip in the dry the other has more grip in the wet.

Also looking at those tables the difference in grip levels between master steel all weathers & michelin cross climates which are both the same type of tyre. is more than the difference between reference summer & winter tyres.

On the basis purely of looking at those tables, I would be unhappy with anything other than 4 identical tyres.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

Before the holiday we got 4x MIchelin CrossClimate tyres.

During our holiday in Europe (over 6,200 km) we had all sorts of weather. The tyre was good in downpour, mud, gravel and dry motorways. Also the odd strong breaking situations was handled well. Bends and corners were no problem.

In comparison to the original tyres I couldn't see increased diesel consumption, neither was the tyre louder.

I believe I will stay with this tyre model.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hi all interesting reading as our Cali will need a new set of boots in the near future.
We are still running the original tyres which are good year 4 season, we have a 4 motion.
I have swapped them front to rear after every trip to Europe, now they have done 26000 miles and are between 3and 5 mm.
Strongly tempted to go for the same again.

When fitting my tyres and checking the spare I noticed that they are marked up with “rotation” indicators meaning that in theory the spare can only be used on either drivers OR passenger side but not both. I wonder what the legal and practical implications are if you have to fit it on the “wrong” side?

When fitting my tyres and checking the spare I noticed that they are marked up with “rotation” indicators meaning that in theory the spare can only be used on either drivers OR passenger side but not both. I wonder what the legal and practical implications are if you have to fit it on the “wrong” side?
When rotation tyres are fitted on the 'wrong' side giving reversed rotation going forward the tread design will move water inwards on a wet road causing aquaplaning. Deeper the water the more acute the problem. same happens on muddy surfaces which stops the tyre self clearing and becoming a 'slick' or to put it another way, pretty useless at getting you through.
I'd guess it also has Insurance and legal implications as the tyre isn't being used in accordance to the Manufacturers directions/specification.
I was advised by a fellow forum Member to use a Vredestien Qutrac 5 as it isn't directional, merely has outer & inner sides, to use as a spare.
Also found the Hankook Kinergy 4S H740 as a possible spare.

Last edited:
Is the spare directional too? are you talking about the factory supplied one?

When rotation tyres are fitted on the 'wrong' side giving reversed rotation going forward the tread design will move water inwards on a wet road causing aquaplaning. Deeper the water the more acute the problem. same happens on muddy surfaces which stops the tyre self clearing and becoming a 'slick' or to put it another way, pretty useless at getting you through.
I'd guess it also has Insurance and legal implications as the tyre isn't being used in accordance to the Manufacturers directions/specification.
I was advised by a fellow forum Member to use a Vredestien Qutrac 5 as it isn't directional, merely has outer & inner sides, to use as a spare.
Interesting, as far as I'm aware VW supplied the original tyres x 5 which were the "one direction" Goodyear Vectors.

Yep, as far as I'm aware.
Only answer seems to be to treat it as an emergency tyre when fitted to the wrong side, limit your speed especially if wet weather. You'd have to check which way it's fitted currently to know.
You'd have the option to have it turned on the rim or have the punctured tyre repaired or replaced ASAP.

Seems if fitted on a road wheel with the wrong rotation it'd be an MOT fail which confirms it as being illegal.

A big problem.

Only answer seems to be to treat it as an emergency tyre when fitted to the wrong side, limit your speed especially if wet weather. You'd have to check which way it's fitted currently to know.
You'd have the option to have it turned on the rim or have the punctured tyre repaired or replaced ASAP.

Seems if fitted on a road wheel with the wrong rotation it'd be an MOT fail which confirms it as being illegal.

A big problem.
Agree, the spare to be treated as a get you home tyre.
I found this advice on the AA website, which to my mind is a bit contradictory as they say its not dangerous but will fail MOT.....

Directional tyres
Directional tyres usually have a chevron or arrow pattern in the tread and are designed to work in only one direction of rotation.
  • Directional tyres are better at dispersing water that builds up in front of the tyre.
  • They may also reduce road noise and improve directional stability.
Directional tyres must rotate in the right direction, clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre.
If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain the benefits of its design.
Some high performance cars are fitted with tyres that are both directional and asymmetric. These must be fitted the right way round on the wheel and on the correct side of the vehicle.
MOT test
If asymmetric or directional tyres are fitted incorrectly – the wrong way round or rotating in the wrong direction – your car will fail its MOT.

Back