Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season or All Weather tyres

J

JamesTT

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Just noticed that I can spec ether All Season or All Weather tyres instead of the standard ones. Does anyone know the difference and which would be the better choice.

Just noticed that I can spec ether All Season or All Weather tyres instead of the standard ones. Does anyone know the difference and which would be the better choice.
I specked all season tyres when ordering but it arrived on normal summers
Was advised VW not specifying any more. So check with dealer.

I specked all season tyres when ordering but it arrived on normal summers
Was advised VW not specifying any more. So check with dealer.
All season and all weather tyres are both listed as a £162 cost option, at the moment, so I assume if you ordered them they should supply them or refund the £162.

All season and all weather tyres are both listed as a £162 cost option, at the moment, so I assume if you ordered them they should supply them or refund the £162.
Hi yes the dealer Breeze kindly sorted it out just prior to handover a nice set of Michelin Agilis CrossClimate.

From what I could glean All Season will be in a 235/55/17 tyre and the All Weather will be in the Commercial 215/60/17C tyre which may be the Michelin Agilis or the Continental version.

Is there a difference in where/when you can use all-weather vs all-season tyres? (Eg 3PMSF-symbol on both versions, or not?)
Or is this just VW semantics in the configurator?

3peaks on both. Seems to be VW method of having a different description for standard and commercial rated tyres.

Thanks. Just found this...

The difference between all-weather and all-season tires really comes out when the pavement is wet, so imagine the difference in snow and slush conditions.

Of course, a winter tire outperforms an all-weather tire in the cold season, hands down. But all-weather tires are much better than all-season tires in the winter, while performing significantly better in the summer when compared to winter tires

Apparently all weather tyres are superior to all season tyres in most situations, summer, winter, wet or dry and are a cross between all season and winter tyres. The downside is the rubber is softer than all season tyres so they won’t last quite as long. I’ve decided to get the all weathers.

The difference between all-weather and all-season tires really comes out when the pavement is wet, so imagine the difference in snow and slush conditions.

Of course, a winter tire outperforms an all-weather tire in the cold season, hands down. But all-weather tires are much better than all-season tires in the winter, while performing significantly better in the summer when compared to winter tires

Apparently all weather tyres are superior to all season tyres in most situations, summer, winter, wet or dry and are a cross between all season and winter tyres. The downside is the rubber is softer than all season tyres so they won’t last quite as long. I’ve decided to get the all weathers.
Main difference in the Cali options is that All Season is now a super-low rolling resistance 103H load/speed rated, 235/55/17 was V rated previously and no super-low rolling resistance--the mind boggles..
All weather is a 215/60/17 and 109T load/speed rated tyre.

Were the comparisons between All Season and All Weather tyres looking at 3 Peak rated All Season or the older American just M&S rated tyres? Mention of pavement instead of usual road surface.

European specs and USA ones are different and care needs to be taken as to who and where any tests are done.

I’m totally confused now! Apparently the all seasons are a little more comfortable and quieter, as well as longer lasting. Oh well, I‘ve ordered mine now...

Went a bit mental with the options but used ‘Drive the Deal’ who have already negotiated the discount. You still buy direct from VW, who add £350 admin to pay Drive the Deal, so your contract is with a VW van dealer.

VW Configured spec was £79,003. Drive the deal negotiated price £70,419.08, so a saving of £8,613.92 from list even after the £350, which was included in the £70,419.08. I’m not sure I could have negotiated that kind of a discount myself.

I’m totally confused now! Apparently the all seasons are a little more comfortable and quieter, as well as longer lasting. Oh well, I‘ve ordered mine now...
I've never heard of 'all weather' tyres as a separate category, sounds like VW BS. In any case don't worry too much about exactly which tyres you end up with, there's not a huge amount of difference in test results between the various all seasons variants from different manufacturers. As long as they're black and more-or-less circular, they'll do for a Cali.

The tyre noise factor will be overwhelmed by all the rattles and squeaks from the van and its contents. :)

When driving on the continent, there is a difference between all weather tyres and all season tyres.
In Germany you have to drive winter tyres (with the snow flake symbol) if the weather is "winter weather". Same in Austria and Italy: winter tyres are obliged there between Nov. 15th and April 15. The fines for driving non-winter tyres in Italy can be really tough.

Regards from Amsterdam,

there Marc.

If your all season or all weather tyres have the 3 peak + snowflake symbol, you are perfectly OK in those countries. That symbol indicates the tyre is approved as ‘winter’-tyre. It does not have to be explicitly winter tyres, the symbol counts.
But beware: M+S (mud + snow) symbol is not sufficient.

Went a bit mental with the options but used ‘Drive the Deal’ who have already negotiated the discount. You still buy direct from VW, who add £350 admin to pay Drive the Deal, so your contract is with a VW van dealer.

VW Configured spec was £79,003. Drive the deal negotiated price £70,419.08, so a saving of £8,613.92 from list even after the £350, which was included in the £70,419.08. I’m not sure I could have negotiated that kind of a discount myself.
I did the same - twisted logic meant I spent the DtD discount on options. I ended up with Eurovans Crawley, whose proactive comms has been non-existent. I hear eg. SMG will price-match, and perhaps don't have over 100 Californias on order so may actually call you occasionally. I call Eurovans and they seem to know very little from the factory. Oh well I've been waiting 7 months for a delivery date...what's another few...?

But beware: M+S (mud + snow) symbol is not sufficient.
Unless the M+S have the snowflake -
images-199.jpeg
But this new law applies in 2024. I think its aimed at the Chelsea Tractor owners.
Don't forget, when you have those tyres fitted, your max recommended speed is.
images-201.jpeg

Unless the M+S have the snowflake -
View attachment 76771
But this new law applies in 2024. I think its aimed at the Chelsea Tractor owners.
Don't forget, when you have those tyres fitted, your max recommended speed is.
View attachment 76772
ah, I was not aware that UK was also transitioning from M+S towards the 3PMSF. Good to know for future trips!
In Germany, this is already a fact.

In Germany, this is already a fact.
Not wanting to confuse this thread even more,
For winter or all-weather tyres produced since 1 January 2018, the so-called Alpine symbol (snowflake) is mandatory. A transitional phase for older winter tyres applies until September 2024!

I did the same - twisted logic meant I spent the DtD discount on options. I ended up with Eurovans Crawley, whose proactive comms has been non-existent. I hear eg. SMG will price-match, and perhaps don't have over 100 Californias on order so may actually call you occasionally. I call Eurovans and they seem to know very little from the factory. Oh well I've been waiting 7 months for a delivery date...what's another few...?
I think all DTD orders go via Eurovans Crawley

All of the tyre tests that I have seen are car based which have less weight to control.
These tend to be speed based.
How many Cali drivers actually drive at any where near a tyres performance limits? Good to know what they are.

Tests are also based on conditions that are not common for most UK drivers.
They are a useful guide but if year on year comparisons are made they can have a Brand top on one test but lower down the scale on another. Probably due to the constant evolution/development of tread designs. This is confirmed in this report. Might even be down to the production batch variations.

Biggest bit of useful information/statistics is that the premium priced Brands have significantly better performance than the cheaper ones.

Try this link. All Weather v All Season (they are not the same). Test above is just about different All Season brands.

Test done on cars rather than Cali‘s but should give you an idea of the superior snow performance of all weather, although they do wear more quickly. Some All Seasons can’t be used in Europe during the winter months.

I have specced All Weather tyres on my new Cali as I will be driving in Europe in Winter.

Try this link. All Weather v All Season (they are not the same). Test above is just about different All Season brands.

Test done on cars rather than Cali‘s but should give you an idea of the superior snow performance of all weather, although they do wear more quickly. Some All Seasons can’t be used in Europe during the winter months.

I have specced All Weather tyres on my new Cali as I will be driving in Europe in Winter.

Be careful when viewing Americas based videos as tyre description terminology can differ to European..

Be careful when viewing Americas based videos as tyre description terminology can differ to European..

Thanks for the link… Although I’m even more confused, as it suggests that All Weather and All Season tyres are basically the same, but VW offer an All Season and an All Weather (which they suggest is better for snow than their All Season - VW UK confirmed before I selected the All Weather’s).

Apparently the All Weathers have the three peak symbol where as the All Seasons have a snowflake or say M + S (mud and snow, which aren’t acceptable in the winter months in Europe).

Although some members have stated that their All Seasons have the 3 peak symbol!

Anyway too late to change as my Cali is finally built!!! The dealer mentioned that it should be ready in early November... Ordered 12 February, so not too bad.

Ocean, 204, 4 motion, tow bar, Mojave B, Mohave B, sorry can’t say it… Champagne, that’s better and what I’ll be drinking when it arrives!

Back