Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All season tyres

I

ianevans

I need to replace my Michelin Agilis 55 all season tyres on our van. Does anyone have up to date information on the best all season tyres to get? Good grip and smooth ride.

Thanks!

Ian

Just fitted the Agilis cross climates very happy so far, nice ride and not noisy. Not the cheapest but from watching a lot of reviews and tyre comparisons, I felt these were the best choice.

I need to replace my Michelin Agilis 55 all season tyres on our van. Does anyone have up to date information on the best all season tyres to get? Good grip and smooth ride.

Thanks!

Ian
"Good grip"... under what conditions? Dry, wet, snow? Handling or braking?

Michelin Cross Climates still get good very all-round reviews, although they won't necessarily be top in every situation. I haven't compared prices recently but they tend to be expensive.

I can't fault my Factory fitted Continental Vanco Four seasons.
Changed two at 33k at 3mm.
The other pair at 46k, still legal.
Needless to say, with that longevity, I replaced like for like.

We have Agilis Cross Climates and very happy. By looking out for online deals through the Michelin web site and auto center offers (in our case F1 Auto Centers) we paid just over £100 per tyre about one year ago.

Thanks!

Ian
Michelin upgraded the CrossClimate with a new version named CrossClimate2. It's getting excellent reviews even when compared to dedicated winter tires. These are the ones I'm planning to install when I take delivery of my new van this winter.

When considering online bargains, be careful of the difference between the older and newer CrossClimate tires so you end up with the ones you really wanted.

I see kwik fit are doing 15% off Michelin tyres at the moment, this includes the Cross Climate 2. Just ordered 4 in a 17 rim for £128 each! Hopefully they will be better than the Dunlops which are coming off!

Thanks!

Ian
the available tyres vary with the tyre size and if Canada?? can also have a different range compared to Europe.
What do you currently have?

I Changed my Dunlop's to Michelin Cross Climates 225/65 R 17 no complaints but I am still experimenting with Pressures, any advice ?

Have Michelin cross climate SUVs, they got me through Iceland at onset of winter - even when my skid plate was sliding on the packed snow. Also got me across ‘track routes’ over there (basically bouldering at times).
Fine on the M1 too.

We have fitted Michelins Agile CrossClimate (215/65/16/R17/T109) this year.

Very pleased with them, no extra noice on the highway, good performance on dirt roads and steep gravel paths, no aquaplaning on wet streets.

But: this week on a Greek Peloponnese camping, after days off pouring rain, this was our situation:
20211017_104440.jpg

As you can see, the tyre profile of the Michelin Agile CrossClimate (which is deep), is completely filled with clay... It happened within seconds. No grip at all, no way of wiggling out our T5.1 front wheel drive.

Only the tractor of the camping boss was able to pull us out of the mud. Plus three men pushing the van, and me inside giving a minimal bit of gas.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I Changed my Dunlop's to Michelin Cross Climates 225/65 R 17 no complaints but I am still experimenting with Pressures, any advice ?
44 front 42 rear as a start point. Cold before driving.
Adjust up by 1lb steps until road surface defects are too noticeable. Then down by a lb
Just set to what you find comfortable.

Too soft will have poor steering response and feel.

We have fitted Michelins Agile CrossClimate (215/65/16/R17/T109) this year.

Very pleased with them, no extra noice on the highway, good performance on dirt roads and steep gravel paths, no aquaplaning on wet streets.

But: this week on a Greek Peloponnese camping, after days off pouring rain, this was our situation:
View attachment 85871

As you can see, the tyre profile of the Michelin Agile CrossClimate (which is deep), is completely filled with clay... It happened within seconds. No grip at all, no way of wiggling out our T5.1 front wheel drive.

Only the tractor of the camping boss was able to pull us out of the mud. Plus three men pushing the van, and me inside giving a minimal bit of gas.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
I’m not surprised by this.
I’ve said in the past. Fantastic road and ice/snow tyre. Rubbish on wet grass and mud…

I‘ve specced my Ocean with All Weather tyres rather than All Season, not sure what brand it will come with. Apparently All Weather can be used in winter in Europe, but All Seasons can’t… Not sure how true that it.

I‘ve specced my Ocean with All Weather tyres rather than All Season, not sure what brand it will come with. Apparently All Weather can be used in winter in Europe, but All Seasons can’t… Not sure how true that it.
All lies in the 3 peaks symbol on the tyre wall.

I think it is the other way round to what you think.

All lies in the 3 peaks symbol on the tyre wall.

I think it is the other way round to what you think.
I’m not so sure. The All Weather tyres I ordered can definitely be used in Europe in Winter, but the All Season tyres on my wife’s Discovery Sport can’t, they have a snowflake symbol rather than the 3 peaks.

Downside is apparently All Weather tyres don’t last as long as All Season.

I’m not so sure. The All Weather tyres I ordered can definitely be used in Europe in Winter, but the All Season tyres on my wife’s Discovery Sport can’t, they have a snowflake symbol rather than the 3 peaks.

Downside is apparently All Weather tyres don’t last as long as All Season.
Tyre label/marking info

That is now the current label.

Older manufactured tyres can be found with M+S (Mud & Snow) on the sidewall but can only be used legally in snow if the Snowflake Symbol is also there. Some imported tyres don't have the Snowflake as it's an EU requirement.

After some/much reading on All Season and All weather differences it would appear that the All Weather tyre has a better snow performance capability.
Neither is a true Winter tyre which is seldom required in the UK.

It also needs to be noted that a minimum of 4mm tread is legally required in some EU countries during winter. Which is why so many part worn winter tyres with 4mm tread are available in the UK.

Previously I deduced that VW have All Season tyres as the 235 width and All Weather as the 215 width as per Commercial Van fitment.

Last edited:
I’m not surprised by this.
I’ve said in the past. Fantastic road and ice/snow tyre. Rubbish on wet grass and mud…
This is a really good point, I think for UK camping use I am much more interested in tyres that will cope with wet grass than snow/ice - since I am unlikely to be venturing out in the snow but it does rain a lot! So, any recommendations for a good all round tyre for best grip in typical wet campsite conditions?

This is a really good point, I think for UK camping use I am much more interested in tyres that will cope with wet grass than snow/ice - since I am unlikely to be venturing out in the snow but it does rain a lot! So, any recommendations for a good all round tyre for best grip in typical wet campsite conditions?
Most of the All season tyres that have the wide V tread design will be as good as you will get, short of going All Terrain tread.
The V is similar in principal to tractor tyres.

A very gentle right foot is key to grass and mud driving. Grass will self lubricate if you spin the wheels with obvious loss of traction following.

Most of the All season tyres that have the wide V tread design will be as good as you will get, short of going All Terrain tread.
The V is similar in principal to tractor tyres.

A very gentle right foot is key to grass and mud driving. Grass will self lubricate if you spin the wheels with obvious loss of traction following.
Thanks @B J G that makes sense.

Yes thanks BJG. On reflection I think I should have specced the All Season, rather than the All Weather. Oh well I can’t change them now.

Back