Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All T5 owners and T6 Buyers... Options

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone
I'm totally new to VW Transporter's / California's but looking to buy a new California Ocean... My question to existing owners of the T5 and people selecting options for a new T6 California, what options do people who have lived with this vehicle recommend... I know this is a personal choice but I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks Paul

I wouldn't recommend the Alcantara.

Mine now has seat covers and the money would have been better spent going for a leather re-trim which I'm now considering

I wouldn't recommend the Alcantara.

Mine now has seat covers and the money would have been better spent going for a leather re-trim which I'm now considering

We're looking at going with the Alcantara... any reason you'd not recommend it? Txs.

Don't bother with Alcantara, go for a retrim, we did not get on with it at all

Don't bother with Alcantara, go for a retrim, we did not get on with it at all

But why? Is it a really bad leather, did it wear badly etc?

Ahh, okay, so Alcantara is not real leather. The brochure is a bit misleading as it says Alcantara Leather!

I really like the Alcantara - it's really durable, looks good, feels nice in winter and summer. However it's expensive and as I've put seat covers on (dogs!) I don't think I will have it on my T6.
I will definitely have the sliding electric door, DSG, 4-motion; and definitely won't have wifi.
One option I'm not sure about are bi-xenon headlights. They are very expensive and sometimes too bright (reflections from large road signs, flashing from dazzled drivers).

I've just ordered an Ocean 204 DSG with:

Front & Rear Parking - less bumps
Removable towbar - for a bike rack, i personally think this is better for getting access to the tailgate area
17" running gear - more stopping power
6.33 screen & app connect for apple car play
cruise & multifunction steering wheel
Uprated alternator - I've assumed i can top my batteries up faster? Time will tell
Black Awning
Privacy glass

Removable towbar - for a bike rack, i personally think this is better for getting access to the tailgate area
Uprated alternator - I've assumed i can top my batteries up faster? Time will tell
Black Awning
Privacy glass
Do you know if you can use an offline Mapping and Nav app such as Scout, to save the cost of a in but sat nav, using the app connect for apple car play ? thanks

sorry that should have been inbuilt rather than in but.

Has anyone been given a build date yet?

Thanks for your input, So far Options Im concidering:-

Black Awning
Safe
Front and Rear Parking sensors
Front Assist. City auto emergency braking
Lights and vision package
Mud flaps
Up rated Battery and Alternator
Privercy glass
High Beam assist
BUT can not decide on colour ????

All comments welcome

The alcantara stains pretty easily plus we have dogs. Great maybe in a Audi A8 but not so in an outdoor activity vehicle

Really happy with the electric side door. Sat Nav is a bit dumb so hopefully improved in the T6.

Removable tow bar is good and stays on to give a bit of bump protection to the rear.

Parking sensors, privacy glass and laminated a must.

I've ordered a grape yellow (not everyone's taste, i know) Cali Beach 150, 3 seater bench with parking sensors, privacy glass, black awning, parking heater, comfort mattress, comfort lights, black door handles and wing mirrors, no badges on the tailgate (other than VW).
I think that's it!

Hoping to get some 17inch alloys of someone with an ocean who wants to upgrade theirs. Cheaper to wait, sell mine and buy someone else's wheels than the ÂŁ1000 upgrade on options list. If not, thunders go for around ÂŁ600 so I reckon I'd get ÂŁ500 for mine and so only cost me ÂŁ100 for the bigger rims.

Black Awning
Privacy glass
Hello
Ordering my Ocean next week. Was gong to get the Bike rack but as you say I'm a bit concerned about getting the tailgate up to get at the chairs. Also was thinking about reverse camera for the boss so got issues with bikes blocking the view. Does anyone have experience with any of this? Thanks.

T6 So Far

2.0TDI 150kW / 204PS EU6 4Motion 7-Speed DSG BMT
Front and rear parking sensors - probably not go for the rear camera
17" Running Gear as hopefully help braking
Cruise & multifunction steering wheel
Uprated alternator and battery
Privacy glass
4 remote folding keys
No badges option
Mud Flaps

Audio & Comms is difficult and expensive. Possibly go for 6.33 screen & app connect for apple car play and I would like the Satnav option but need to be persuaded??

Colour is looking like the Acapulco Blue. I have owned a VW Touran2.0 DSG for 11 years but never a California so get confused on the cosmetics. Having scoured the board which by the way is brilliant, it looks like I should go with the silver awning and tent adapter especially as looking to put on the silver VW bike rack.

Slightly tempted to go the Yellow option with black trimmings but possibly a bit brave for me :)

No idea what this lot are:-

Storage Net?
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat (Beach: bed enlargement including storage compartment) ?
Lights and vision package

Any comments would be appreciated.

NB: I may delay purchase until I can get to a show as would like to chat to some owners.

Lights and vision package is automatic lights, wipers and rear view dimming I think.
I think the Grape Yellow is only available on the Beach model I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the Acapulco Blue then and one less decision

Storage Net is strung between the roof opening for chucking misc stuff in when camping with roof up. You also get the extra drawer under the seat between the kitchen & large drawer. On the hire T5 SE I had last year I found them both quite useful.

Lights and vision package is automatic lights, wipers and rear view dimming I think.
I think the Grape Yellow is only available on the Beach model I'm afraid.
It is automatic lights, wipers and rear view dimming

Hello
Ordering my Ocean next week. Was gong to get the Bike rack but as you say I'm a bit concerned about getting the tailgate up to get at the chairs. Also was thinking about reverse camera for the boss so got issues with bikes blocking the view. Does anyone have experience with any of this? Thanks.

I guess that's the compromise? With the tow bar installed I believe the reversing sensors would be disabled? I expect the camera would be obscured depending on the bike. I'll be using the Cali everyday so its when I'm using it for that instead of camping/biking that i'll need to trust the sensors on my own

Storage Net is strung between the roof opening for chucking misc stuff in when camping with roof up. You also get the extra drawer under the seat between the kitchen & large drawer. On the hire T5 SE I had last year I found them both quite useful.
Excellent thanks!

Back