Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All terrain tyres for t6.1

Q

question

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
Having T6.1 4motion 150hp I have limited possibilities for tyres size. VW allows R17 215/60 or 235/55 and R18 255/45. What AT tyres do you guys have? Any idea? I can't find tyres in that size.
20210709_210633.jpg

I have the same issue. Bought recently a T6.1 Beach Camper 150 Hp 4Motion additionally 30mm lifted. My California (with Standard tyres 215/60 R 17 C 109/107 T) is not delivered yet. In advance I want to buy all terrain tyres including rims. The only thing what my dealer said is that I only can use two types:
  • 215 / 60 C 17“
  • 215 / 60 R 17“
Which all terrain tyres are recommended comparing e.g. BFGOODRICH®TRAIL-TERRAIN T/A®?
Do you recommend a all terrain spare tyre in general too or is usage of standard spare tyre possible / acceptable?

This has been covered a lot before in forums and if you search the seikel website, they provide a guide for tyres that can be used as replacement sizes with and without suspension modifications.

I have been very pleased with the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 215/60/17 good road manners, runs well on gravel and strong to perform in snow/mud with the advantage of being standard size and therefore no issues.

I have the same issue. Bought recently a T6.1 Beach Camper 150 Hp 4Motion additionally 30mm lifted. My California (with Standard tyres 215/60 R 17 C 109/107 T) is not delivered yet. In advance I want to buy all terrain tyres including rims. The only thing what my dealer said is that I only can use two types:
  • 215 / 60 C 17“
  • 215 / 60 R 17“
Which all terrain tyres are recommended comparing e.g. BFGOODRICH®TRAIL-TERRAIN T/A®?
Do you recommend a all terrain spare tyre in general too or is usage of standard spare tyre possible / acceptable?
I have BFG 225/65/17 at the moment if you intend doing loads of off road then great, but fuel consumption takes a big whack (5mpg).

I’ve got a set of Michelin latitude cross 235/55/17 for my next fuel rated C compared to F for BFG.
Still look pretty chunky6922DE87-AA87-4443-AAEE-6D4D254B25DF.jpegSide by side BFG and Michelin latitude cross7B5A23F0-2B94-4778-A1A9-DE3F27D4D233.jpeg

Fitted a few months ago to my 6.1 Coast; 235/55R 18 Falken Wildpeak AT3 on Wolfrace Explore. Excellent ride, no real increase in noise, slight difference in mpg.

View attachment 87841
Now that you've had for awhile, what are the pros and cons?

The only slight downside is an increase in fuel consumption, about 3-4 mpg. I prefer them so much that they are now fitted permanently, I sold the ‘summer tyres’. No noise issues or driving in the wet, just gives me more confidence if I‘m on grass/tracks etc. They are winter rated (although not true snow tyres) with the right symbols, so looking forward to seeing how they perform when I take the Cali to the Pyrenees in February. For that trip I’m going to take a full size AT3 spare wheel with me, don’t fancy a longish road trip with the OEM 16 inch spare. lI also think they look good!

Fitted a few months ago to my 6.1 Coast; 235/55R 18 Falken Wildpeak AT3 on Wolfrace Explore. Excellent ride, no real increase in noise, slight difference in mpg.

View attachment 87841
Looks really good. Is this a standard ride height beach camper. .Im looking at options for mine and its a bit overwhelming .. Ideally I want to do the wheels then when funds allow possibly do the suspension

It’s a standard T6.1 Coast, no alterations to the suspension.

View attachment 87841
Looks good, I wonder if I can fit those to my original VW 18 black wheels, normally 255/45/18 ???
If less wide I might be able to dive with VB parking mode ,
What do you guys think?

I will be installing the Latitude Cross as a happy compromise solution for my 204 4Mo Coast. Good road performance and better than stock off-road capabilities in those slippery situations.

I have BFG 225/65/17 at the moment if you intend doing loads of off road then great, but fuel consumption takes a big whack (5mpg).

I’ve got a set of Michelin latitude cross 235/55/17 for my next fuel rated C compared to F for BFG.
Still look pretty chunkyView attachment 87837Side by side BFG and Michelin latitude crossView attachment 87838
I'd love to see a picture of these on the van Blue. (if you have such a picture). No way of getting non-standard sizes on my van here unless i change them every year for the MOT (control), so i'm interested in getting a set up like the one you show here. Unclear if i can life my van up 30mm either. I'm struggling to find out what the process is for doing so.

I can only legally have an original vw spec size here in Belgium sadly.

Still look pretty chunkyView attachment 87837Side by side BFG and Michelin latitude crossView attachment 87838
Like the look of this wheel / tyre combo but find all the jargon a bit confusing...when I look at the rims they are stated as being 8J whereas the stock wheels on my Ocean are 7J (tyres are 235/55/17). I can see that an 8J is used for 18" rims - so my longwinded question - are 8J's with a 17" rim ok? Do you need to specify an offset?

How are yours after 18 months use?

Like the look of this wheel / tyre combo but find all the jargon a bit confusing...when I look at the rims they are stated as being 8J whereas the stock wheels on my Ocean are 7J (tyres are 235/55/17). I can see that an 8J is used for 18" rims - so my longwinded question - are 8J's with a 17" rim ok? Do you need to specify an offset?

I’ve sold van now, but done 7000miles on them before I did with no issues.
My Oz rally raids were 17” standard fit no off set

I think you have confused rim sizes with tyre sizes. You can buy 8J 17 inch rims but for the transporter family it’s 17 inch 7J or 18 inch 8J and corresponding wider or narrower tyres with lower or higher sidewalls to achieve a similar diameter.