Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All things come to a end...also is the Beetle

Was my first car. Never liked the latest design. No tears from me!

That's the year I was born..:thumb It's a shame I'm not as good-looking as that beetle..:Depressed

It is (air) cool and I love driving her. Have to make sure you have plenty of time though if going out of town!
Had a couple of close calls as the younger people today don’t know what a semaphore indicator is!

If it wasn't an air cooled beetle it wasn't a beetle anyway - just a golf platform with a different body on.

This is mine - 1958 version and still going strong!!

View attachment 37938

Looks like you need new springs/shocks all round though.

Only joking, it's a lovely Dub. Does it have the windscreen washers powered off the spare tyre? (Sorry my knowledge of Beetles is only sketchy, maybe that was later cars than yours).

Last edited:
No. Screen washers. No water in the car at all. And the wipers are only for show really as they don’t do a lot. Drum brakes all round too. No seat belts even. She’s very basic but driving her always puts a smile on my face.

I had a lovely beige beetle in about 1983. I swapped a boyfriend for it! Or rather he swapped me for a different girlfriend, kept the TR7 (seriously dodgy rustbucket) and I got given the new girlfiends old beetle. I’ve never had so many advisories on an mot! Eventually went to the beetle breaker in the sky and I acquired a brown Datsun as a company car!!

Soon they'll pop up again...:D

046d91f632be71b88813e35a2e0c1135.jpg 12_customized-VW-camper-vans.jpg 1_customized-VW-camper-vans.jpg

Only realised recently that VW don´t make the golf cabriolet anymore.
In fact they don´t make any cabriolets anymore.

Could be that VW and electric roofs don´t get on well.

“If I knew then what I know now”’. In 1968 I had a fifties’ beetle with the oval rear window. It was 6 volt and the headlights were little better than candles. It got wrecked!

You'd be wishing you kept that now, even restoration oval cars fetch big bucks.

Mine was 6v too but I've converted it 12v for safety - fully reversible of course in case I decide to sell or go all original.

If it wasn't an air cooled beetle it wasn't a beetle anyway - just a golf platform with a different body on.

This is mine - 1958 version and still going strong!!

View attachment 37938
That's lovely and the colour is perfect.

I agree, the new Beatle is only a less practical Golf...........and what have they done with the latest reincarnation? It looks very weird.

Some things are best left in the past without trying to recreate them in a modern form. MG springs to mind. They were classic cars and didn’t need the Zr,ZS and ZT versions bringing out. I used to have a ‘77 Midget way back. The mini too, the Beemer version isn’t a mini. Hell, its huge compared to the original. I’m sure there are many other examples, not just car related.

Some things are best left in the past without trying to recreate them in a modern form. MG springs to mind. They were classic cars and didn’t need the Zr,ZS and ZT versions bringing out. I used to have a ‘77 Midget way back. The mini too, the Beemer version isn’t a mini. Hell, its huge compared to the original. I’m sure there are many other examples, not just car related.
You'll like this then!
image.jpeg
It dates from the days when men were men and had flies in their teeth.

Pre war and early MG's will always be cool. Kids don't always understand why I like old smelly noisy cars that don't even have windscreen washers, seatbelts or central locking. Never mind air con and sat nav. I explain to them that sometimes I like to use a car that has to actually be driven not just sit and steer.

Back