Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Weather Tires for a California Beach T6 2018 .

P

pgsup

VIP Member
Dear forum
The above is not a new subject but wanted some feedback regarding my choice for the above
Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Generation 3. Tire size - 235/55/ZR17 103 W Extra Load.
The Hankook brand has also had a good write up, but not sure if available here in UK for my Tire Size.
There certainly is today more choice for all weather tires, perhaps the forum has something new to add.
Thank you
PgSup

Dear forum
The above is not a new subject but wanted some feedback regarding my choice for the above
Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Generation 3. Tire size - 235/55/ZR17 103 W Extra Load.
The Hankook brand has also had a good write up, but not sure if available here in UK for my Tire Size.
There certainly is today more choice for all weather tires, perhaps the forum has something new to add.
Thank you
PgSup
Good choice. I've used Goodyear in the past on my 4 Motion. 20,000 miles before changing them at 3-4 mm tread depth. I change them early, personal preference. I'm now on my 2nd st of Michelin Cross climate SUV. Wearing just as well, gained a little in mpg compared with Goodyear.
Have had 2 sets of Goodyear and on 2nd of Michelin over 100k miles. Next set will be Michelin.

Thanks WelshGas, value your input ,will certainly now look at Michelin cross climate SUV.
PgSup

Thanks WelshGas, value your input ,will certainly now look at Michelin cross climate SUV.
PgSup
We went for the Michelin Agilis rather than the Cross Climate. It is personal preference but for us the extra load factor was comforting. Some say the Agilis are noisy, we have not noticed any difference from the original Hankook supplied with the vehicle. So far they seem to be wearing well. A couple of weeks ago Michelin were offering up to £100 off a set of 4. Don't know if this offer is still available, have a look at the Michelin marketing web site or ask someone like F1 Auto Centres.

I went up a profile - 235/60/17 106V instead of standard 235/55/17 103V.

I've found that the higher load rating/sidewall is more suited to the Cali's weight.

Michelin SUV Cross Climate, this size also available in the Agilis as per @Wildcamper.
I'd probably go for the Agilis if cost wasn't a factor.

Michelin offer is still valid.

Visit "Car-offers.michelin.co.uk"
Up to £100 off 4 tyres

Yes there's now a lot more choice with all-seasons tyres and it gets harder to choose. I've recently been looking at it for another vehicle. The Bild Auto tests rate the various all seasons tyres as fairly similar on the various tested criteria, I think most are a decent bet. Michelin Cross Climates seem to come out well generally although they tend to be tested as car versions not SUV.

As well as the weight, having a van-type tyre like Agilis means a stronger sidewall so less chance of damage and punctures. I would probably go for those next time.

One downside with pretty much all the all-season tyres now is that they are "directional" which complicates the question of your spare - you've a 50% chance of having to put it on the "wrong way round". Opinions vary on whether, in that scenario, you then need to treat it as a space-saver type ie limit to 50mph etc (personally it doesn't worry me very much as it should be fine in anything other than very heavy rain, but just something to be aware of). If anyone has found a non-directional all-seasons tyre I'd be interested to know.

If you're looking online be careful to stay away from mytyres.co.uk at the moment. They seem to be caught in a Brexit-customs-hell situation (they bring their tyres over from Germany, per order). I just had to cancel an order I'd placed with them as they seem to be in melt down and unable to say when they can deliver.

This has been a really useful read for me as I would like to change the tyres i have on our coast. Currently these are the Duravis R660.

We want to be able to camp year round (within reason!!). We are probably going mostly on grass pitches as we prefer these to the hard standing (and there seems to be a lot more availability for grass without electricity - at least so far in our searches). I am hoping changing the tyres will give a little extra protection - and we don’t have 4WD. (We have the car version of the cross climates on the car and it was a remarkable improvement for me on country roads).

Anyway - reading loads of threads i am thinking of going for the Michelin Cross Climate Agilis...though have not looked at the many size options. Just wondered what you obvious experts think?

Finally - i wondered if you knew if there was a way to tell what the diameter of the tyre plus wheel would be (if normally inflated?). The only reason is i am quite height constrained to fit in the garage. Have plenty of clearance at the moment - but trying to avoid having to fit and refit some roof bars i will be ordering to carry my surfboard- though i think it might be inevitable::(...i figured tyre choice must affect the overall height of the vehicle.

thanks - and hope it was okay to tag onto this thread (even though i have a Coast). I know a few people already on the thread have been super helpful already!

Yv

This has been a really useful read for me as I would like to change the tyres i have on our coast. Currently these are the Duravis R660.

We want to be able to camp year round (within reason!!). We are probably going mostly on grass pitches as we prefer these to the hard standing (and there seems to be a lot more availability for grass without electricity - at least so far in our searches). I am hoping changing the tyres will give a little extra protection - and we don’t have 4WD. (We have the car version of the cross climates on the car and it was a remarkable improvement for me on country roads).

Anyway - reading loads of threads i am thinking of going for the Michelin Cross Climate Agilis...though have not looked at the many size options. Just wondered what you obvious experts think?

Finally - i wondered if you knew if there was a way to tell what the diameter of the tyre plus wheel would be (if normally inflated?). The only reason is i am quite height constrained to fit in the garage. Have plenty of clearance at the moment - but trying to avoid having to fit and refit some roof bars i will be ordering to carry my surfboard- though i think it might be inevitable::(...i figured tyre choice must affect the overall height of the vehicle.

thanks - and hope it was okay to tag onto this thread (even though i have a Coast). I know a few people already on the thread have been super helpful already!

Yv
We have the Agilis Cross Climate and are very happy with them. Also only FWB but no problems on wet sloping grass, where we have tried them out. Can't help with height question.

Yv
If you fit the correct sized tyres the diameter of wheel/tyre combination will be unchanged.
There should be a tyre sticker on the Drivers door, B pillar showing the correct sizes for your factory provided wheels.

If you fit the correct sized tyres the diameter of wheel/tyre combination will be unchanged.
There should be a tyre sticker on the Drivers door, B pillar showing the correct sizes for your factory provided wheels.
Great thanks :)

Yv
This site gives an easy comparison as to size changes from standard tyres fitted.

Agilis Climate + isn't made in a 235/55/17 leaving a choice of either a 235/60/17 or with a slightly lower width and profile (real terms) 225/55/17 which would suit your garage clearance issue. Loose about 1mph at indicated 70 mph.
Either tyre has ample load capacity

After embarrassingly being the only vehicle on the road that had to fit chains in the Alpes last time I took my Ocean skiing I decided to fit all season tyres this time. I've put a pair of Goodyear 4 seasons on the front. But the rear tyres have a lot of wear left in them yet so I've left them at the moment. The fitter advised that this is fine and that fitting all season tyres all round on a 2WD vehicle would make very little difference.

Is he right?

After embarrassingly being the only vehicle on the road that had to fit chains in the Alpes last time I took my Ocean skiing I decided to fit all season tyres this time. I've put a pair of Goodyear 4 seasons on the front. But the rear tyres have a lot of wear left in them yet so I've left them at the moment. The fitter advised that this is fine and that fitting all season tyres all round on a 2WD vehicle would make very little difference.

Is he right?

I would always fit matching tyres all round as they are the only 4 things that connect the van to the road.

Fitting all seasons all round would be better, as then your front end should behave in a similar fashion to your back end. If mxing new/old general rule is to fit the deepest tread / more grippy tyres on the rear as its easier to control a slide on the front than the rear. (if you lose the front, you might hit the hedge / barrier, if you lose the rear then the van could spin...then you could be in serious trouble depending on what is coming towards you).

D34CBCD3-7266-4CCE-BACD-F4567AB2CFF5.jpegBF8352BE-AA01-4B31-8B26-F06DD7372CFD.jpegE928881B-2DB9-4036-8D61-39493F8FF9DE.jpeg

Is he right?
The rubber of summer tires becomes hard and inflexible at low temperatures, leading to less contact with the road and less grip. This is the most important advantage of all season and winter tires: they keep their flexible properties at low temperature. Tread pattern is also important, but without flexibility the tread pattern is essentially useless.

Be aware that you will have more grip on the front at low temperatures than at the back, which under the right circumstances will dangerously affect handling on curves.

I put on Michelin Crossclimate Agilis last December. Over New Year's went skiing at Baqueira in the Pyrenees. Approach is a twisty steep narrow mountain road famous from the Tour de France. -10C with fresh unplowed snow and ice. Chain requirement (unless you have winter tires) was posted, but I didn't need them. I'm very happy with them.

Last edited:

Is he right?
I was told on a Services driving course, best tyres on the back. You have directional control of the front wheels, not so the rear.

Reactions: DM
Best tyres on the rear for safest handling, however not much point having (expensive) all-weathers on the rear axle of a front-wheel drive vehicle as you'll gain nothing in traction in slippery conditions.

You could however fit the all weathers to the rear until you've worn out the summer pair, then put new all weathers on the back.

• Informative
Reactions: DM

Is he right?
I think he gave you dangerously wrong advice. There is more to tires than forward grip.
In cold weather the rubber on your rear summer tires now have a lot less grip than your front ones do. This imbalance puts you at serious risk if you suddenly had to brake while on a downhill in the same mountain conditions that prompted this tire discussion.
If you need to save money do it someplace else.

Clear theme to the feedback - thanks. I will swap my fronts and backs at the moment so the all weather are on the back and then get another pair of all weather for the fronts before I head to the mountains.

Besides the operating temperature range difference the critical factor on All Season or Winter tyres is the sipes, small cuts in the tread area, these clear water and provide the grip on ice or wet roads.
Not having this function on the rear would be giving the real possibility to loose control of the back end on down hill bends or as previously mentioned during braking.

At the risk of being tedious, switching the AS tires to the rear may not be a good idea in summer. Wouldn't the old tires have more grip on a hot summer tarmac than the new AS ones and therefore be better left in the rear? Better obviously would be to get all tires the same as soon as feasible.