• Start date
Pure Worktop Protection

Pure Worktop Protection

VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
371CCDAC-EC5E-47AA-AD1E-301E25F18EE4.jpeg371CCDAC-EC5E-47AA-AD1E-301E25F18EE4.jpeg931C5F4F-9FF3-46FA-9FCC-CF5BCA98E910.jpeg371CCDAC-EC5E-47AA-AD1E-301E25F18EE4.jpeg371CCDAC-EC5E-47AA-AD1E-301E25F18EE4.jpeg931C5F4F-9FF3-46FA-9FCC-CF5BCA98E910.jpeg

Just posted some images of my alloys, thought i’d Been really careful with them and noticed all wheels now have these marks appearing - is it me or a fault?

I had exactly that problem on our Golf. Turns out it was the alloy cleaner supplied by VW as a freebie. Hope that helps.

Its a common problem with diamond cut wheels. Take it back to VW and ask for replacement.

I recall a member of the Forum saying that VW replaced his Cascavel alloys when it was in for a service. A recall? He hadn't requested them to be replaced.

As Raggedroy says a diamond cut wheel fault which doesn't seem to be possible to prevent or repair on a DIY basis. Every car Manufacturer has this problem, if you look at parked cars you can confirm this.

Personally won't have diamond cut wheels due to this failing.

Problem is due to the alloy diamond cut area only having a laquer coating, fully painted wheels would have etch primer, paint and laquer coatings.

Last edited:
If your alloys take a stone chip, this is no warranty.
If it just happens like this, out of nothing, without any sign of damage, it could be warranty, but these are very hard to maintain.
This is why I take the plain alloys. Easy to touch up with a pencil.

We’ve had this happen on our Golf diamond cut alloys,, believe it’s called ‘white worming’. We took it to a company who for £400 did a fabulous repair that made the wheels look like new. That was two years ago and so far so good they’ve not reappeared. In our case we didn’t use VW specific alloy wheel cleaner to cause the problem in the first place but would have used some generic alloy cleaner.

Don’t use acid based alloy cleaner (like the free Vw one) used it on my AmG and any tiny nick will let the acid into the wheel and cause the surface to corode, especially as said on diamond cut wheels.

We’ve had this happen on our Golf diamond cut alloys,, believe it’s called ‘white worming’. We took it to a company who for £400 did a fabulous repair that made the wheels look like new. That was two years ago and so far so good they’ve not reappeared. In our case we didn’t use VW specific alloy wheel cleaner to cause the problem in the first place but would have used some generic alloy cleaner.
Hi, I don’t suppose you have the name of the company do you? We have the same issue.

I’ve never used alloy cleaner of any sort, but my wife’s Golf and daughters Polo have this issue massively, and it occurs without visible chipping. If you get a reaction from VW please keep the thread updated - we have the same alloys on our van and I’m thinking it’s only a matter of time.

I have the same wheels and they now look so bad I'll likely replace them this year. I've never used any fancy alloy cleaner or a jet wash on these wheels, though its possible my VW garage has when its been in for a service.

I have the same wheels and they now look so bad I'll likely replace them this year. I've never used any fancy alloy cleaner or a jet wash on these wheels, though its possible my VW garage has when its been in for a service.
When I replaced my wheels I found that some wheels have Winter Rated Paint finish, obviously not the bling Diamond Cut ones.

I have never under stood why car manufacturers insist on fitting diamond cut alloy wheels to just about everything these days. They always end up corroding like this. Any minor chip or scratch is all it takes and I suspect you don't even need those for corrosion to begin. The diamond cutting leaves a fairly sharp edge around the profile and no amount of lacquer will ever build up a sufficient protective layer on a sharp edge, hence it becomes a weak point. The photos in post #1 show this issue all too well. Jet washing, wheel cleaners and general wear and tear all make corrosion more likely. In short, they may look snazzy like your child hood "Hot Wheels" toys but frankly, they are not worth the hassle.

I was once told that this type of wheel can only be refurbished twice before they become scrap. That is due to the material that has to be removed when the wheel is re-diamond cut.

When we ordered our latest Beach we specified 17" Brakes. That meant we could only have 17" or greater diameter wheels. The only options available were all diamond cut at circa £1200 minimum. As soon as the van was delivered, I removed the Cascavals and sold them for £800! I replaced them with the 17" Devonports, which I had wanted all along. Unfortunately, VW in there infinite wisdom, didn't offer Devonports on the Beach model at that time. What was baffling, was you could have specced them on every other Transporter based vehicle from a bog standard van right through to a top spec Ocean. Yet another example of VW's unfair options sales practice aimed at extracting disproportionately more money from Beach owners.

Devonports are robust, plentiful, easy to clean and don't suffer from corrosion. You can have them refurbed as many times as you like but they are cheap enough to replace so that shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited:
There is the option to get the wheels sprayed instead of diamond cut. This is what I intend to do once they get tatty.

Steels for winter. End of conversation.

I have never under stood why car manufacturers insist on fitting diamond cut alloy wheels to just about everything these days. They always end up corroding like this. Any minor chip or scratch is all it takes and I suspect you don't even need those for corrosion to begin. The diamond cutting leaves a fairly sharp edge around the profile and no amount of lacquer will ever build up a sufficient protective layer on a sharp edge, hence it becomes a weak point.
Chops Garage on YouTube did a rush diy repair on a 'diamond cut wheel' just leaving a sanded finish on the exposed aluminium. It contrasted nicely with the black. Not advocating this for £70k Cali's, but it does suggest diamond cut could be replaced with a sanded finish... Either from new (preferably) or in restoration. It still gives the raw aluminium vs black which everyone seems to want (or be given!). It would improve the chances of the lacquer surviving, and limits the amount of weakening that occurs in the lathe.

I had all four of my Wheels replaced under warranty, they didn’t just have worm on the front face they had corrosion on the inside rim (black paint bubbling) In areas where there was no possibility of stone chips or damage from an external source, never used Acid cleaner.
if you’ve got wheel worm of corrosion elsewhere ask to have them changed whilst still in warranty

Back