Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloys Decision Help

S

StevoC

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello All,
I have made a couple of speck changes to our Ocean edition which we ordered last week, i just can't decide on the 18" alloys ,what do you lovely people think, Palmerston's or Valdivia's Palmerston.JPGValdivia.JPG

Palmerston

Are you sure about the colour?

Palmerstons from those. They look great until you cant be arsed to clean them, or you kerb them.
But I think the perfect OEM wheels are Springfields - only available from the factory in black in the UK, as part of the sports pack. Can you get Springfields (silver even better) in Ireland?
(I'd also go Ascot Grey for free, rather than Candy White van man)

Palmerstons from those. They look great until you cant be arsed to clean them, or you kerb them.
But I think the perfect OEM wheels are Springfields - only available from the factory in black in the UK, as part of the sports pack. Can you get Springfields (silver even better) in Ireland?
Thanks for the reply, There are only 3 alloy options for the edition in Ireland. Id love the option of the Springfields. Thought hard about the grey and then we changed our mind to the white. Bot IMP look great.

On the pics, it’s an “edition” version. Not sure you can combine that with Ascot Grey. Edition limits the choice of colours, I thought. But also adds Pure Grey, which isn’t available fo the “normal” Cali.

Thanks, you don't like the white then? I have ordered it the red pop up roof.
I don't not like it. It's a bit like black. Meh.

It'll also look dirty almost immediately after washing it.

These are special vehicles and deserve a bit of colour. I saw a Fortana Red one the other day and that looked amazing in the sun.

Generally ok, But i do plan to travel in rural areas where the roads will not be as good.

In which case spec whichever you prefer (I like the second ones) and get a set of smaller steels with tougher tyres for winter / rural trips. Round my way the roads are terrible and anything more than 17’s would get smashed.

If you get bored with white you can always wrap the bottom half - doesnt cost the earth, looks great and you can change the colour every few years

Personally I wouldnt go for red top and I suspect it wont be ideal for resale if you are concerned about that. I was told the half red/white T6 with the red roof cover is the hardest to sell.

All motorhomes are white. All caravans are white. I always like the fact the California comes in great colours.
My neighbour’s cherry red Transporter looks great. I also really like the new metallic minty green colour. I don’t like two tone.

I recently considered changing to 17” Davenports as my wheels have a couple of scrapes. In the end I decided I’d stick with my 16” and a good ride quality. They kind of remind me of mini moke wheels.

B33124EB-DAD0-4D87-B4DD-E43AA91FBEB4.jpeg

French roads are great but UK ones are shocking.

Last edited:
StevoC,

a Cali looks great in any colour,

you made the ultimate mistake on the forum of asking what others think!

you get what you thinks looks good and stuff the rest of us & don’t care what anyone else thinks :cheers:cool:;)

edit: I presume you are buying the Cali for you and to use it, not for resale to someone else

Last edited:
Palmerstons, harder to clean but worth the effort

Clean wheels with valet pro Billberry Juice wheel cleaner !

Palmerston's look class. The other ones look like a drug dealers car. :Iamsorry

Personally I avoid Diamond Cut wheels like the plague as they are very prone to corrosion on the cut area which only has a laquer film for protection.
Good quality solid painted rims save the issue of being afraid to leave them on on a 12 month/year round basis.

I'm in the process of sourcing a set of black rims for my Brothers Merc E Class as it has the dreaded diamond facing corrosion on all four rims.

In which case spec whichever you prefer (I like the second ones) and get a set of smaller steels with tougher tyres for winter / rural trips. Round my way the roads are terrible and anything more than 17’s would get smashed.
Good point

StevoC,

a Cali looks great in any colour,

you made the ultimate mistake on the forum of asking what others think!

you get what you thinks looks good and stuff the rest of us & don’t care what anyone else thinks :cheers:cool:;)

edit: I presume you are buying the Cali for you and to use it, not for resale to someone else
Oh my head is wrecked, we have changed our minds on so many options.

Back