Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Almost...Almost... A few queries on configuring and buying.

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,
I am not far away now from placing an order for a204 DSG ocean. It has been a few months in trying to source for information. Looking at threads on this site has been my best source by far.
The latest brochure seems to have a few contradictictions. Cruise control or not? Etc..

I think I will be ordering the following options:
Metallic Indium,
Cruise control,
Composition 6.33 radio,
App-connect,
Leather multi func steering wheel,
Awning,
Parking sensors with camera,
Four fob keys,
Removable towbar

I do have a few queries,

1/
buying and discounts.... The dealer I visited has offered a small discount.. Small. £1500 ish...
I have com across a site called drive the deal. Also mentioned in a few posts. They do offer around 8% which will be more than £4K.
Has anyone had any experience, good experience or a bad idea...?

2/
Cruise control, seems to be another confused area. Page 13 latest brochure says it's an option, page 23 states it's standard... Anyone know for sure?

3/ I want satnav, but the option is a silly price.. So I am hoping I can use my iPhone in conjunction with the App-connect and have google maps function on the radio screen...
Or buy an aftermarket radio with sat nav that will directly replace stock unit. Other idea may be use an iPad mini completely stand alone...
Has anyone fitted an aftermarket radio? Does it just drop in.. I did read a thread where a kenwood was just dropped in.. But with a few issues..Was this successful?

4/
I think I am correct in my understanding that the multifunction steering wheel is separate to cruise control...

It does seem that most things have to be configured now at time of order, so any help or suggestions that you think would be of use, or anything on my list that could be removed..

I would really appreciate some experienced views.... Ta...

You've got a similar options list to my Ocean :)

As you have a towbar (for a bike rack?) is it worth having the reversing camera? The park pilot works well enough so far for me & a bit cheaper.

Lights & vision might be worth adding? Can't remember why it was forced on my build maybe the laminate glass pack i added. The auto lights & windscreen wipers are nice to have.

2 It was an option only when i built mine in August.I would error on adding it. There were a few options that disappeared off my build either due to being standard or not compatible. Worked with the dealer to amend the price when it was in the port on its way to them.

3: Google maps is not supported on Carplay. I used apple maps tonight to get home & it was very good, Siri can be a hit & miss depending on data connectivity though when trying to do anything else. Podcasts & itunes works well.

4. Yes it is. I added the leather multifunction steering wheel in addition to cruise control. you get separate volume & forward back buttons as well the MFD controls.

Hi there

1. My Ocean is hopefully being built this week for March delivery(fingers crossed!). I purchased mine via Drive the Deal. Worked great for me with no problems - an easy way of getting the discount (just the risk of being a from a VW dealer that isn't too close to you).

I don't think you can have cruise without the multi f steering wheel? That's where the controls are. Correct me if I'm wrong. You may be buying something you get anyway.

Hi there

1. My Ocean is hopefully being built this week for March delivery(fingers crossed!). I purchased mine via Drive the Deal. Worked great for me with no problems - an easy way of getting the discount (just the risk of being a from a VW dealer that isn't too close to you).

Thanks for that iamchucky, very reassuring.
Do you get opportunity to discuss with the actual dealer to iron out any queries you may have?
March is not that far away..... Wow.. Fingers crossed to for you..

Thanks sidepod, I have made a note and will raise at time of purchase...

You've got a similar options list to my Ocean :)

As you have a towbar (for a bike rack?) is it worth having the reversing camera? The park pilot works well enough so far for me & a bit cheaper.

Lights & vision might be worth adding? Can't remember why it was forced on my build maybe the laminate glass pack i added. The auto lights & windscreen wipers are nice to have.

2 It was an option only when i built mine in August.I would error on adding it. There were a few options that disappeared off my build either due to being standard or not compatible. Worked with the dealer to amend the price when it was in the port on its way to them.

3: Google maps is not supported on Carplay. I used apple maps tonight to get home & it was very good, Siri can be a hit & miss depending on data connectivity though when trying to do anything else. Podcasts & itunes works well.

4. Yes it is. I added the leather multifunction steering wheel in addition to cruise control. you get separate volume & forward back buttons as well the MFD controls.

Thanks Quinnster77, some good points there. You may have saved me a couple of Bob there. I don't really use podcasts. It was just the google maps I thought would be useful. It could just be I use my iPad or phone freestanding then..

Here is an option if you stick with the Composition stereo but want integrated TomTom satnav - seems a slick option but over £500 fitted

Here is an option if you stick with the Composition stereo but want integrated TomTom satnav - seems a slick option but over £500 fitted

Cheers Tim.
That does look good. I guess the radio being kenwood is an upgrade too. I will take a look on there site.

no - its the standard vw unit thay comes with the calivan

Wow.... Well as you can see I am a complete Newbie....
But I will get there...
All of this info is really valuable to me.... Thank you Tim.

Thanks for that iamchucky, very reassuring.
Do you get opportunity to discuss with the actual dealer to iron out any queries you may have?
March is not that far away..... Wow.. Fingers crossed to for you..

Yes process is very simple. Ordered via Drive the deal and then a VW dealer phoned me within a day to discuss my order and I was able to make changes before finalising my order. Happy ordering! :)

Th
Yes process is very simple. Ordered via Drive the deal and then a VW dealer phoned me within a day to discuss my order and I was able to make changes before finalising my order. Happy ordering! :)

Cheers iamchucky..

Drive the deal sounds a good way to go but you should be able to use the approx 8% they give to get your dealer to a sensible discount. Apple maps work very well nowadays imho so don't get hung up on googlemaps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive the deal sounds a good way to go but you should be able to use the approx 8% they give to get your dealer to a sensible discount. Apple maps work very well nowadays imho so don't get hung up on googlemaps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Michael,
Thank you. I have not used Apple maps. I guess i was put off with the problems when it was first launched. So using google instead and its stuck..

I will try Apple maps in the meantime.

Thanks for input on discount, I will certainly try that first.

I don't think you can have cruise without the multi f steering wheel? That's where the controls are. Correct me if I'm wrong. You may be buying something you get anyway.
One doesn't give the other, I'm afraid. If you choose cruise without the MFSW then it is operated by a stalk behind the wheel instead. Cruise is definitely not standard on either of the T6s, by the way.

Sorry I meant to ask, so after your first placing of the order with Drivethe deal you are now in the hands of the genuine VW dealership?

Yes. Drive the deal simply puts you in touch with a VW dealer of their choice at the stated discount. You deal directly with that VW dealer from then on. As Michael says phone the dealer who you have already spoken to and mention the drive the deal discount. See if they budge on their previous quote to you - no harm in asking is there?

One doesn't give the other, I'm afraid. If you choose cruise without the MFSW then it is operated by a stalk behind the wheel instead. Cruise is definitely not standard on either of the T6s, by the way.

Thank you Rhyddin,
Really helpful,
So I Will order the cruise and the MFSW as two separate items.

Yes. Drive the deal simply puts you in touch with a VW dealer of their choice at the stated discount. You deal directly with that VW dealer from then on. As Michael says phone the dealer who you have already spoken to and mention the drive the deal discount. See if they budge on their previous quote to you - no harm in asking is there?

This is good stuff... Thank you.

Thank you Rhyddin,
Really helpful,
So I Will order the cruise and the MFSW as two separate items.
I was doing that too but decided, once I'd priced both, that I may as well pay the extra couple of hundred to upgrade to adaptive cruise control, which DOES come with the MFSW included. It was fitted to the demo I tried and it was pretty cool. Just a thought.

I was doing that too but decided, once I'd priced both, that I may as well pay the extra couple of hundred to upgrade to adaptive cruise control, which DOES come with the MFSW included. It was fitted to the demo I tried and it was pretty cool. Just a thought.

Thank you Rhyddin...

I will look at that...

Hi Michael,
Thank you. I have not used Apple maps. I guess i was put off with the problems when it was first launched. So using google instead and its stuck..

I will try Apple maps in the meantime.

Thanks for input on discount, I will certainly try that first.

The latest ios 9.3 thats out on beta now had some better POI options for carplay

The latest ios 9.3 thats out on beta now had some better POI options for carplay
That's great to hear! I've upgraded the stereo in my Beach order, adding Carplay along the way, but couldn't justify the jump to the model with Sat Nav - especially as you then STILL have to pay for the Carplay functionality.

I use sat nav a lot and am hoping Apple maps doesn't let me down - as long as I can get a signal!! Even if it doesn't, it's still cheaper to buy a high end Tom-tom and get free updates, etc than pay VW the difference.

That's great to hear! I've upgraded the stereo in my Beach order, adding Carplay along the way, but couldn't justify the jump to the model with Sat Nav - especially as you then STILL have to pay for the Carplay functionality.

I use sat nav a lot and am hoping Apple maps doesn't let me down - as long as I can get a signal!! Even if it doesn't, it's still cheaper to buy a high end Tom-tom and get free updates, etc than pay VW the difference.

Exactly my thoughts, i've got a couple of years old tomtom with unlimited map updates as a backup

Back