Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative Cali chairs

P

Paul Merone 62

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
One of my Cali chairs is broken so I'm looking for a replacement which will fit into the tailgate space. Any body know of anything? Thanks for your help.

One of my Cali chairs is broken so I'm looking for a replacement which will fit into the tailgate space. Any body know of anything? Thanks for your help.
someone was producing replacement parts for cali chairs I recall, the bolts tend to sheer through and you lose the plastic spacers

someone was producing replacement parts for cali chairs I recall, the bolts tend to sheer through and you lose the plastic spacers
Thank you. I've seen these but mine is a different problem. I think a replacement is needed unfortunately.

I would suggest taking a working chair to a number of different big outdoor shops and see if you can find one that folds to the same dimensions or smaller. Might then need to think about an “anti rattle” solution but almost certainly cheaper than the OEM ones!!

I would suggest taking a working chair to a number of different big outdoor shops and see if you can find one that folds to the same dimensions or smaller. Might then need to think about an “anti rattle” solution but almost certainly cheaper than the OEM ones!!
I agree they are very expensive and not particularly comfortable.

Thank you. I've seen these but mine is a different problem. I think a replacement is needed unfortunately.
Is it the plastic hinges that join the arm ? You can buy better quality aluminium hinges from a place near Ghent. I can find you a link if that’s the problem ?

Is it the plastic hinges that join the arm ? You can buy better quality aluminium hinges from a place near Ghent. I can find you a link if that’s the problem ?
That is exactly the problem. Thank you. Are they difficult to replace?

That is exactly the problem. Thank you. Are they difficult to replace?

They are easy to replace, you only need a screwdriver, a rivet gun and something to cut out a bolt, I used a multi tool.

Last edited:

They are easy to replace, you only need a screwdriver, a rivet gun and something to cut out a bolt, I used a multi tool.
That's great. Thank you very much. I will order it.

I just went to order it. The product is €8.95 which is reasonable but they want €49.00 for shipping. I've emailed them to see if there is another delivery method.

I just went to order it. The product is €8.95 which is reasonable but they want €49.00 for shipping. I've emailed them to see if there is another delivery method.
I wasn't aware of the postage costs sorry. My hinge snapped when I was in Spain, I took a diversion to the shop on my way to Calais for the trip home.

Hi. That sounds great. How did you do it? Any chance you could send a photo? Cheers
Here you go. The one on the left I wrapped in black tape. But decided its not really necessary as no one would ever know unless they looked under the arm. Mine have been like this a few years now. I used nuts n bolts I already had and rivets. I have a garage full of stuff. The nuts need to be slim but the brass ones like mine are easier to file down as they're softer metal. I didn't take pics of the job itself but it's not rocket surgery. Works a treat and a very cheap fix

20230815_140053.jpg

Here you go. The one on the left I wrapped in black tape. But decided its not really necessary as no one would ever know unless they looked under the arm. Mine have been like this a few years now. I used nuts n bolts I already had and rivets. I have a garage full of stuff. The nuts need to be slim but the brass ones like mine are easier to file down as they're softer metal. I didn't take pics of the job itself but it's not rocket surgery. Works a treat and a very cheap fix

View attachment 113053
Great. Thank you. I will give that a go although I suspect you are a lot more handy than me

I've successfully done the fix proposed by flying banana using a bit of 22mm galvanised tube I happened to have salvaged from a TP slide. You need to be careful when drilling the holes but it works a treat. It cost me £15 for a rivet gun but then I've already used that again to properly fix the sliding door catch bracket on my fold out table...

Thanks go to @flying banana

Back